Author Topic: St Marys, Cheadle - Chadwick Family  (Read 7938 times)

Offline ddhughes

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
St Marys, Cheadle - Chadwick Family
« on: Saturday 20 September 08 08:07 BST (UK) »
Could someone please be able to look in the St Marys, Cheadle, Parish Records and supply the following information for:

Marriage:
John Chadwick  b: 1898 Stockport Cheshire, Married Harriet Grundy b: 1895 Stockport Cheshire on the 29th Dec 1816, details of parents and/or Witnesses needed please

and their childrens Births or Baptisms:
Mary 1818
Clarissa 1824
Thomas 1826
Elizabeth 1327
George 1831
Sarah Ann 1832

thank-you

Debbie :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Astley, Barton, Charnley, Clayton, Fox, Hoole/hool, Jolly, Knagg, Lambert, Morley, Spencer, Stevens/Stephens, Tyler, Tyson<br />(Preston and surrounding districts)

Chadwick (Accrington, Ashton-under-lyne) Brodrick (Accrington, Church)

Hughes, Freeman, Plowman (Great Gidding - Huntingdonshire)

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys, Cheadle - Chadwick Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I live in Cheadle, I will see if I can find out for you.  It may take a couple of days depending upon when the church is open and where they keep the record books.

Claire
Fagan - pos County Down, Workington, Manchester, Holberry - E. Retford, Manchester
Skinner - Devon, Manchester
Rainey/Reaney - Ireland,County Mayo, Manchester
Murphy, McCormish, Kelly, Dunn, Paddon, McAleavy, Messenger, Carruthers
Dunn - Sligo, Manchester, Scotland
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline ddhughes

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 08 01:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire,

Would it be too much to ask if you could look and see if there are any headstones in the Churches graveyard for "CHADWICK" and photograph them for me or if I remember from the Church's website, they have already photographed the headstones and they are available to view at the Church, but I'm not sure if you can get copies, I don't mind waiting and would greatly appreciate it.

Debbie

Astley, Barton, Charnley, Clayton, Fox, Hoole/hool, Jolly, Knagg, Lambert, Morley, Spencer, Stevens/Stephens, Tyler, Tyson<br />(Preston and surrounding districts)

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Are there any particular years for deaths?  I went up to the church this morning but it was locked.  I had a look around the church yard but it is relativley small.  The graves in there are older being pre 1900 in the main unless unless it is a family plot.  After that there is a much larger cemetry in Cheadle.  To find anything in there I think I would need a little more info.

However, I will keep bobbing up to the church for you and see what I can find out.  I will try and find out for you at which point the new cemetry was put into use.

Claire
Fagan - pos County Down, Workington, Manchester, Holberry - E. Retford, Manchester
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Cheadle, St. Mary (C of E). An ancient parish, originally serving the townships of Cheadle Bulkeley, Cheadle Moseley, and Handforth cum Bosden. Registers of Baptisms 1558-1987, Marriages 1558-1981 and Burials 1558-1982 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.

Whilst looking for the date for the opening of Cheadle Cemetry I found this.  I will double cheack at the church for you but you may need a trip to Chester!

Cheadle Cemtry opened 1903 so if your relatives stayed in this area you may have burials there.

Claire
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Well this may help you or creat you a whole load of problems!!

I have just been to the local heritage part of the library in Stockport and they are very helpful!  I found some of the info you wanted plus a range of other Chadwick happenings! 

Listed first are Baptisms is date order the info appears as date, name of child, name of parents, area where they came from and occupation

Sept 3rd 1815  Abigail     James and Phobe  Cheadle Moseley       Weaver

Mar 20th 1814  Martha    Robert and Ann     Cheadle Bulkeley        Farmer

Apr 11th 1813   Naney?   James and Phobe   Cheadle Moseley       Weaver

Feb 14th 1816    Sarah     Robert  and Ann    Cheadle Bulkeley      Shopkeeper

Feb 6th 1820     William   Robert and Ann      Edgeley                     Shoemaker

Apr 28th 1822   Harriet    Allen and Mary       Cheadle Moseley       Weaver

15th Dec 1822   Clarisa   Thomas and Harriet   Edgeley                  Spinner

22nd Feb 1824   John      Allen and Mary         Cheadle Bulkeley      Weaver

14th Dec 1828    James    Allen and Mary        Cheadle Bulkeley       Weaver

21st June 1829   Catherine   Robert and Elizabeth  Edgeley        Machine Maker

21st Nov 1830  Job     Robert and Ann             Edgeley               Shoemaker

There is also a baptism 3rd June 1792 Mary Daughter of William Chadwick and his wife  ?????

Now marriage

29th Decemeber 1829 Thomas Chadwick marries Harriet Grundy  The witness has a big ink blot on it but it looks like John Hacorn.  They are taking a copy of it for me.  I haven't got it yet as my car parking fee was up and the machine to get copies was in use.  I will go back for it later in the week and send you a copy.

However, I tried to find the other Chadwick marriages but was not so lucky and time was against me.  But as I was scanning back these Grundy marriages struck me.  I don't know if they are important to you or not, so I wrote them down anyway.

The info is listed as date, groom, bride and then any witnesses

13th Nov 1813  Robert Kennion & Maria Grundy  George Bardby & Fred Bronon

18th Oct 1814  Robert Grundy & Sarah Hatton   Robert Milton &
                                                                            Thomas  Simpsons

6th Jun 1814 Solomon Grundy & Mary Heymour   Robert Heymour &
                                                                             Alice Grundy

Some of the names were very difficult to do so I have done my best to decipher them.  I hope this helps in some way. 

Claire
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline ddhughes

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire, Thank you so much for that, can you confirm that wedding date, as I have them married in 1816 not 1829, means they were married after a few kids had been born thats all. So if you could just let me know if that's a typo...

Also if Mary isn't in those baptism records I wonder where she was baptised???
and so the puzzle begins !!!

I'd love to find out what Thomas' parents names are, then I might be able to tie in all those other Chadwicks, that's why i'm hoping it might be on the headstone somewhere.

This is all very addictive isn't it ....again thank you very much

Debbie

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 14:20 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm sorry it is 1816, I don't know why i have written 1829 - too much micro film!!!! 

Of all your children you were looking for I only found 1 but that doesn't mean they aren't there it is so easy to look and miss.  Do you know if they were a wealthy enough family to have a good grave stone? 

I don't know if the 1792 Mary is a clue or not.  I just had a whizz through the BMD site and there are a good few Chadwicks registered with deaths in Cheadle so it is possible they are there.  I will try and go back for you and see what the burial index throws up.

Claire x
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline ddhughes

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire, more to add to the puzzle, Thomas & Harriet moved to Ashton-Under-Lyne and are in the 1841 & 1851 census for that area. Looks like Harriet died in 1853 in Ashton. Can't find Thomas in the 1861 census. His daughter Clarisa looks like she married a George Robinson in 1847, at Ashton-Under-Lyne.

here is clarissa in 1851
HO107/2157/83/39.
george robinson age 25. b. bollington,cheshire. occ. publican. head.
clarissa age 25. b. cheadle. wife.
harriet.i. age 1. b. stockport. daughter.
sarah.a.chadwick age 18. b. cheadle. sister in law.
living at;23,lower hillgate,stockport.

Son Thomas with wife Frances and children and also brother Charles are still living at 164 Old Street on the 1861 census - RG9/2985 folio 27 page 4.  Thomas has been mistranscribed as aged 55 instead of 35. Possible marriage of Thomas Chadwick to a Frances Scholfield at St. Peters, Ashton Under Lyne in 1854.

So I've been able to fill a couple of holes, Now Thomas had two sons John b 1837  & Charles b 1838 who were born in Ashton-Under-Lyne, Charles is in the 1861 Census, living with his brother Thomas.  Between 1851 & 1859 John emigrated to Australia (he married Elizabeth in 1859) , I'm thinking that maybe his dad went too, this is something I will have to look into, he also could have died between 1851 & 1861 like Harriet. 

So it is no good looking for deaths of Thomas and his children in Cheadle as they all would have been in Ashton, but I am still interested in the baptisms, marriages and any info on their parents in Cheadle

regards
Debbie
Western Australia