Author Topic: "Church of Ireland"  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Church of Ireland"
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to trace various Irish ancestors and on a least 2 marriages I have come across "Church of Ireland".
I'm guessing this would be protestant rather than catholic, based on one of the groom's religions is noted as "Irish Protestant Church" on the 1901 census.

Would this be right or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: "Church of Ireland"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:34 BST (UK) »
hi, the Church of Ireland is the anglican church in ireland. according to wiki
"is an autonomous province of the anglican communion". it is the second largest traditon after roman catholic in ireland and the third largest in northern ireland after roman catholic and presbyterian.

tony

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Church of Ireland"
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
Church of Ireland is Anglican (yes, Protestant)- basically same as Church of England or Episcopal church in U.S./Canada.

Here the C. of I. website to find their parishes (not same as civil prishes or Roman Catholic parishes):
www.ireland.anglican.org/index.php?do=information.dioceses
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!