Author Topic: McDermid, Duntocher  (Read 2650 times)

Offline firsttimer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDermid, Duntocher
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm new here. 

I'd really be interested to know if anyone on here has any recollection of a family called McDermid who lived in Duntocher.  Mum and Dad John and Margaret.  Children:  Barbara (my paternal great granny), Donald, Sarah, Patrick, Mary, Christina and Isabella.  All of these children were born between 1885 - 1896 and all have addresses at Veitch's Court, Duntocher.  I have more information on them if anyone has any connection or handed down memories. 

PS,  I have also posted a similar question in the 'Duntocher Families' topic.  (Just to avoid duplication)

Thanks

firsttimer

Offline brucepie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McDermid, Duntocher
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
I think they are my relatives! My tree is a bit basic at the moment but I think Patrick was my grandfather. He married Margaret Sharkey in Blantyre in 1914 and died in Duntocher in 1955. As far as I can find John and Margaret were Methodists. If you can shed any light on that I'd be delighted!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McDermid, Duntocher
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Brucepie and welcome to rootschat firstimer has not been active on here since 2008
I'm assuming this is the family you are interested in on the 1901 census
Address Bruce's Land Old Kilpatrick
John McDermid age 42 born Oban Argyll
Margaret McDermid 42 Ireland
Isabella 15,  born Maryhill Glasgow Mary 14, Donald 12, Sarah 11,Patrick 9,Barbara 7
Other children born Duntocher

Going by some of the births the mothers maiden name is Kelly there is a marriage for this couple in Glasgow 1882 Scotland's People

A tree has a copy of the certificate and they were married Suffolk Street Church Glasgow
14 March 1882 after publication according to the forms of primitive Methodists
Not sure what information you have but if you are wanting to get further back with the family ..I would say  getting the birth for John Mcdiarmid  on SP would be the best thing
There are 2 in Argyll (1 ) John Mcdiarmid Kilmenny (2) John Mck Mcdiarmid Kinlochlvie

Rosie