Author Topic: Overtons of West Norfolk  (Read 1201 times)

Offline mgw61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Overtons of West Norfolk
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
My 6gt grandfather is John Overton, who I assume was born in roughly 1710. He married Susanna and had two sons in South Acre, near Swaffham. These were my ancestor John Overton (bp 9 Oct 1738) and Christopher Overton (bp 24 Jan 1740).

But where were John Overton and Susanna married?
And where was John baptised?

These events did not happen in Swaffham, South Acre, East Lexham, West Lexham, Sporle with Palgrave and are not to be found on IGI.

Assistance greatly welcomed.

Mark

Offline emoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Overtons of West Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 08 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ya,
         I had a look through the stuff I have for your ancestors, which is round East Winch, Middleton, East Walton and Gayton. No joy I,m afraid.
All I found was:
                        Robert Overton p. Tittleshall and Elizabeth Matlas p. Watton, m. 13 Oct 1736 at Middleton.

I,ve a book of marriages for Babingly, Bawsey, Chadgrave, Dunham Magna,
Heacham, Holkham, Litcham, Wolferton, Narford, Sandringham, Snettisham and Watton. nothing in any of those.
                                                       Emoh

Offline mgw61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Overtons of West Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emoh Twees Emoh!
Thanks for your help. I re-checked, and strangely my 6gt grandfather was actually Robert Overton bc1710 not John Overton. So Robert Overton married at Middleton born at Tittleshall might be a possibility, but I believe my 6gt grandmother was Susanne and not Elizabeth. "Robert and Susanne Overton" are the parents cited in the parish register of Southacre for my 5gt grandfather John's baptism there in 1738.
Thanks again for your assistance.
mgw61