Author Topic: Alderney.  (Read 17081 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alderney.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi operadm - and welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I can't help you personally, but hopefully the others will be back to respond to you.  Meanwhile have a look around and maybe we can help elsewhere too.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I just googled an old family name and found your great website!  James Ballern was my great-great-great grandfather and I have had trouble finding out what happened to him on the official genealogy websites so thank you for all the information you found for Tibia as it really helps me.  His daughter, Elizabeth, married my great-great grandfather William Boyce who was a lighthouse keeper on the island.  They named my great grandmother Helena Scott Boyce and now I see that Scott was the maiden name of Helena Ballern.  I visited Alderney in 2009 and saw James Ballern's wine shop which is now a private house.  Saw the lighthouse too although it was rebuilt in 1906.  If anyone has any details of where the other Ballern children ended up, I would be delighted to hear from you.
 :)

so Elizabeth A married William H Boyce who was a lodger with her family in 1861

Can't seem to find the rest of the family after 1861

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I just googled an old family name and found your great website!  James Ballern was my great-great-great grandfather and I have had trouble finding out what happened to him on the official genealogy websites so thank you for all the information you found for Tibia as it really helps me.  His daughter, Elizabeth, married my great-great grandfather William Boyce who was a lighthouse keeper on the island.  They named my great grandmother Helena Scott Boyce and now I see that Scott was the maiden name of Helena Ballern.  I visited Alderney in 2009 and saw James Ballern's wine shop which is now a private house.  Saw the lighthouse too although it was rebuilt in 1906.  If anyone has any details of where the other Ballern children ended up, I would be delighted to hear from you.
 :)
Hello operadm,
Fantastic to hear of you.I have some news for you (I Hope).James Balern and Helena Scott were my Great Great Grandparents.I have a list of their children,Elizabeth being one of them .As a young lady she was a Governess.One of her sisters was Ellen-(My Great Grandmother).Ellen married a Welsh Miner-(John Williams)he died in 1883 leaving Ellen with three children.There is more if you would like it.
Regards - Tibia

Offline operadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Suz, I too got stuck trying to find references to the Ballern family after 1861, except for Elizabeth who I have been able to trace until her death in Weymouth.  Interestingly, on a list of Lighthouse personnel on another website, I have just found a lady named Mary Mignott who is mentioned as a cousin, I presume of Elizabeth rather than William Boyce.  There is a Mrs. Eileen Mignot on Alderney who voluntarily answers queries about the parish records so I might give her a try.
Tibia, I would be delighted to hear more from you.  I have Elizabeth's brothers - Henry, William, Albert and Charles on my family tree but not Ellen.  Many thanks for the quick response!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 May 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple

think you will find Helena is a wid on the 1871 still living on Alderney

Rg10/ 5770
folio 41
page 17

transcribed as Ballem

ricky

We have been ignoring the information our dear departed ricky posted

High St St Anns Alderney CI
Helena "ballem" Head W 46 Grocer & Wine and spirit merchant
Ellen M daughter 17
C.N. son 15
W.N.B. son 7
W Wasencroft Lodger 26 Light keeper England

all bellem family b Alderney
RG10 5770 41 17

Suz (with thanks to ricky-still remembered )

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 May 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
could this be Henry?
Victoria St Alderney
Henry A ballam Head M 21 Grocer
Esther wife  22kenton England
RG10 5770 33 2

Suz

Offline operadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 May 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  Helena is my great-great-great grandmother.  I can now add some more details to my faimily tree.  It doesn't help that Ballern appears in so many variations in the censuses but thanks to you and Ricky for your research. :)

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 June 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the long delay,My PC died,had to buy  another one.Thanks for your offer of information on Elizabeth Ballerm,I would love to hear about he if you get the time. I've looked at other members posts and they seem to have what we have.One thing,did you know Elizabeth had an aunt Amelia her father's sister.On the 1841 Census Amelia was aged 20.
Going back to the rest of the family,I could give you the low-down on Elizabeth's sister Ellen,(my Great Grandmother) and he family,Just let me know if it would be of any use to you. 
Once again,sorry for the long delay.
Regards,
                 Tibia.(Ray)

Offline operadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 June 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
I sent a very long reply to you about an hour ago.  Please let me know if it doesn't arrive as maybe it was too long!
Operadm