Author Topic: Alderney.  (Read 17070 times)

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alderney.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 June 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know what I've been doing wrong,I have had about 5 attempts to reply to your post.It is obvious you didn't get them,so here we go again.First of all thanks for your post on Elizabeth and her life living in lighthouses,very kind of you fascinating reading.
This is what I have so far on Ellen, Elizabeth's sister.
Ellen married John Williams (can't find record of marriage) &had 5 children.
John -Born- 1872 in Glamorgan South Wales.
Ellen E - Born-1873    --    --         -        -
Mary A - Born1875     --    --         -        -
Evan - Born  1877      --    --         -        -
Amelia - (My-Grandmother) Born1880    --
Ellen's husband John died in 1883 aged 35.Ellen re-married to a Thomas Bannister and moved to a County Durham mining comunity.I am still trying to find records of the children and of Ellen's first marriage and her death.
Not very exiting after Elizabeth's life.If you get this post and need more information,please let me know.Thank you again for all your trouble.
Regards
Tibia (Ray).

Offline operadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 June 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have been getting your messages but for some reason they don't always register on this link!  Thanks for the information about Ellen.  Still trying to figure out what happened to the rest of the Ballerns/Ballems on Alderney.  Will let you know if I have any luck.  I will also let you know the results of my trip to Weymouth to learn more about the Ballern-Boyce-Comben branch. :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 June 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Tibia link=topic=329293.msg3905412#msg3905412 date=130718622
This is what I have so far on Ellen, Elizabeth's sister.
Ellen married John Williams (can't find record of marriage) &had 5 children.
John -Born- 1872 in Glamorgan South Wales.
Ellen E - Born-1873    --    --         -        -
Mary A - Born1875     --    --         -        -
Evan - Born  1877      --    --         -        -
Amelia - (My-Grandmother) Born1880    --
Ellen's husband John died in 1883 aged 35.Ellen re-married to a Thomas Bannister and moved to a County Durham mining comunity.I am still trying to find records of the children and of Ellen's first marriage and her death.
Not very exiting after Elizabeth's life.If you get this post and need more information,please let me know.Thank you again for all your trouble.
Regards
Tibia (Ray).
Have you seen 1891 census?
Some of the children now called "Bannister" and p.o.b. Durham??

Energlyn Cottages Energlyn Glam (Pontypridd reg dist)
John Williams Head m 33 Stoker at Colliery Merthyr Tydfil Glam
Ellen wife 28 Alderney
John son 9 Caerphilly Glam
Ellen E daugter 8 Caerphilly Glam
Mary A daughter 6 Eglwysilan Glam
Evan son 4 Eglwysilan
Amelia daughter 1 Eglwysilan

RG11 5293 41 82

Chester le Street Durham
Thomas bannister head M 37 Coal Mine Sinker Melvin? Gloucester
Ellen wife 36 Alderney CI
John W son19
Adelaide daughter 16
Evan son 15
Amelia daughter 12
Albert son 10
children all have surname bannister all have p.o.b. given as Carvill Durham
RG12 4119 133 34

(Could "Adelaide" be "Mary Adelaide"???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 June 11 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 :)
One of her sisters was Ellen-(My Great Grandmother).Ellen married a Welsh Miner-(John Williams)he died in 1883 leaving Ellen with three children.There is more if you would like it.
Regards - Tibia

Ellen and John (Williams) have 4 children in 1881 and another one born 1881 after the census-so if John left her with 3 children -did 2 of the children die before John???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 04 June 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
I think these are possible birth reg's for the children of John Williams and Ellen

John (age 9 in 1881 -too many to choose correct one)
Elen Eliza Williams Mar qtr 1873 Pontypridd 11a 317
Mary Adelaide Williams Sept qtr 1874 Pontypridd 11a 353
Evan (too many to choose correct one)
Amelia Williams Dec qtr 1879 Pontypridd 11a 318
Albert henry Williams (possibly???) Dec qtr 1881 Pontypridd 11a 330

Suz

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 June 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes,that could be I didn't look at it in that light.I jumped to the conclusion that Thomas Bannister may have been a widower,and that those two children may have been from his first marriage.
As you say on the 1891 Census all the children were down as Bannister,including Amelia (my grandmother). I have the marriage certificate of my grandparents and on it Amelia is down as Amelia Williams.By the way they were married in Hanley Staffordshire.
Were Ellen & Thomas really married? Who knows The plot thickens.It is strange I can't find a record of Ellen's Death.
Great to hear from you,and many thanks for your information.
                            Regards    Tibia.

Offline LENNYB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 March 20 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia,
My name is Len Ballem and related to the Ballems and Scotts in Alderney.
Not sure who I am actually replying to as this is my first post on this site.
My great grandfather was Charles Nicholas Ballem (1856-1910)and he arrived in Australia from Alderney/England in the late 1800's (although I can find no immigration records of his arrival).His Father was James Ballem,(my Great Great Grandfather)who was married to Helena Mary Scott.
Charles Nicholas was on eof 12 children of James and Helena.
Elizabeth Amelia Boyce nee Ballem is my second great aunt.According to my records she married  a Richard Comben 6-8-1889 in Swanage Dorset.
I have quite a bit of Ballem background,but the Scotts are harder as evidently a lot of the records were lost or destroyed from Alderney during the WW11 occupation.
Quite happy to supply what information I have on the Ballems if you are interested.
Regards,
Len
Melbourne,Australia

Hello,
I just googled an old family name and found your great website!  James Ballern was my great-great-great grandfather and I have had trouble finding out what happened to him on the official genealogy websites so thank you for all the information you found for Tibia as it really helps me.  His daughter, Elizabeth, married my great-great grandfather William Boyce who was a lighthouse keeper on the island.  They named my great grandmother Helena Scott Boyce and now I see that Scott was the maiden name of Helena Ballern.  I visited Alderney in 2009 and saw James Ballern's wine shop which is now a private house.  Saw the lighthouse too although it was rebuilt in 1906.  If anyone has any details of where the other Ballern children ended up, I would be delighted to hear from you.
 :)
Hello operadm,
Fantastic to hear of you.I have some news for you (I Hope).James Balern and Helena Scott were my Great Great Grandparents.I have a list of their children,Elizabeth being one of them .As a young lady she was a Governess.One of her sisters was Ellen-(My Great Grandmother).Ellen married a Welsh Miner-(John Williams)he died in 1883 leaving Ellen with three children.There is more if you would like it.
Regards - Tibia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 March 20 08:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Neither operadm nor tibia have been online since 2013 ::)

If their email addresses are still working, they may get an email notification of your interest.
And, then they may reply ;D

Good Luck!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LENNYB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
No worries.
One way or another it doesn't matter,but the site does look interesting.