Author Topic: Alderney.  (Read 17082 times)

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alderney.
« on: Monday 22 September 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,I am new today, so I hope I don't confuse you all any more than I'm confused.
I have traced my Great Great Grandparents to the Island of Alderney.The 1861
census tells me My Great Grandfather's name was James Ballern and his wife was Helena. James was born on the isle of wight and Helena was born on Alderney.I have the names of their children and where they lived on the island,but I can't for the life of me find out what Helena's maiden name was. I have no idea where to go next, has anyone any ideas please.   (please not that hot place,although that's where most of my ancestors are)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alderney.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Tibia

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Normally I would recommend obtaining a birth cert for one of the children - were they born on the Isle of Wight or Alderney?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:01 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census James Ballerne, age 64 and a widower, is shown as born at St. Peters [Port] Jersey. Now that would be 10 years out with the age given for James Ballern in the 1861 census where that James is a Wine & Spirits Merchant whilst the second one is shown as a retired Master Mariner. However, for Wine & Spirits Merchant in the Channel Islands you may very well read "smuggler" onto the Kent coast.

I'll look around some more.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple

think you will find Helena is a wid on the 1871 still living on Alderney

Rg10/ 5770
folio 41
page 17

transcribed as Ballem

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census James Ballerne, age 64 and a widower, is shown as born at St. Peters [Port] Jersey. Now that would be 10 years out with the age given for James Ballern in the 1861 census where that James is a Wine & Spirits Merchant whilst the second one is shown as a retired Master Mariner. However, for Wine & Spirits Merchant in the Channel Islands you may very well read "smuggler" onto the Kent coast.

I'll look around some more.
Hi,and  thanks for your input, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D,it's made my day.I have been told by friends that my lot may turn out to be smugglers. Thanks for your help it would be great if you do come up with anything else.
Many Thanks.
                     Tibia.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:30 BST (UK) »
seems james was a tailor and draper at time of 1851 census -and helena was just Helen

Rue Du Coin
Alderney
James Ballern Head M 35 Taylor and Draper I.O.W.
Helen wife 27
Elizabeth daughter 7
Selina daughter 4
Henry son 1
Emilydaughter 3 mths
HO107 2531 page 1

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Well if it's Alderney we're talking about, there is information here about how to pursue their records:

http://user.itl.net/~glen/alderney.html

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
The only helen I could find of correct age in 1841 in Alderney is helen Scott.

1851 census James and helen(a) are living a few doors away from the Scott family - but then the populated area of Alderney is not that big!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
I would agree that looks the most likely one, was about to post and saw you had written it up ;) ;)

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk