Author Topic: Alderney.  (Read 17071 times)

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alderney.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:55 BST (UK) »
Well if it's Alderney we're talking about, there is information here about how to pursue their records:

http://user.itl.net/~glen/alderney.html

;)
                Thank you for the trouble you have gone to,it's very kind of you.I will start looking for more help on that site now.
                                                                Thanks again ,
                                                                            Tibia. 

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
I see, also in 1861, Mary Ballern, born London in 1784, an innkeeper at St. Annes, Alderney.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 September 08 20:05 BST (UK) »
seems james was a tailor and draper at time of 1851 census -and helena was just Helen

Rue Du Coin
Alderney
James Ballern Head M 35 Taylor and Draper I.O.W.
Helen wife 27
Elizabeth daughter 7
Selina daughter 4
Henry son 1
Emilydaughter 3 mths
HO107 2531 page 1

Suz
Hi Suz,I can't thank you enough,this news is great.The names and ages of the children fit the names on the 1861 census,and there were more children to follow. Thanks Again.(things are looking good)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 September 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hurel? St (next house on Royal Square) Alderney
James Ballern 50 Tailor
James 25 Tailor
Mary Ann 50
Emilia 20
all b England
HO107 1460 19 4 33 7

Looks a strong possibility for james

Poss mary (who Hackstaple found) on 1851 is his mother?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 09:11 BST (UK) »
St.Peter Port is in Guernsey , not Jersey, they are different islands as are Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou and Brechou

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 09:13 BST (UK) »
There is a St.Peters parish in Jersey as there is in guernsey, the one in Guernsey used to be known as St.Pierre du Bois..

Offline Tibia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with the search for my ancestors on Alderney.You have all found out more in minutes than I could have found in weeks.All I have to do is to send for birth and marriage certificates and that will be it. I have another family to trace so if I get stuck I hope you don't mind if I get back to you.I hope in future, I will become knowlagable enough to add a little advice to your site,but i think that may be a long time off.
By the way,I am a member of a couple of forums,I wonder if you would mind if I told them of your site.
Once again,Thank you Thank you  Thank you for your help.
                                                                                              Regards--Tibia.   

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tibia

Of course we'd love you to spread the word about Rootschat!  8)

If you have further questions you'd like help with that aren't related to this topic, just start a new one - pop it on the county board that seems most relevant.

Hope to see you again soon

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline operadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 May 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I just googled an old family name and found your great website!  James Ballern was my great-great-great grandfather and I have had trouble finding out what happened to him on the official genealogy websites so thank you for all the information you found for Tibia as it really helps me.  His daughter, Elizabeth, married my great-great grandfather William Boyce who was a lighthouse keeper on the island.  They named my great grandmother Helena Scott Boyce and now I see that Scott was the maiden name of Helena Ballern.  I visited Alderney in 2009 and saw James Ballern's wine shop which is now a private house.  Saw the lighthouse too although it was rebuilt in 1906.  If anyone has any details of where the other Ballern children ended up, I would be delighted to hear from you.
 :)