Author Topic: Dooley (Wexford, Ireland) - WW1 and WW2  (Read 2875 times)

Offline RoisininIreland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dooley (Wexford, Ireland) - WW1 and WW2
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 21:23 BST (UK) »
My great grand father James (Jem) Dooley, born in Co. Wexford, Ireland, fought with the 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers in the Boer War.  He had 8 brothers and I believe that at least 3 of them joined the British Army.

I have found a record online of Thomas Dooley born 1884, but I'm finding it difficult to find anything on Nicholas Dooley or Edward Dooley.  According to one of Eddie's medals, he was a Royal Artillery gunner.  I know that at some stage he was stationed in India.  He retired from the army in the 1950's!

I am also looking for a Peter Dooley born in Waterford in 1909/1910, but raised in Murrintown, Co. Wexford, Ireland, who fought in WW2.  He was a son of Jem Dooley.  In 1945, my grandmother was informed of his death, only to discover some months later that he had in fact been seriously injured and had been lying in a hospital bed, unidentified.  Peter recovered from his injuries and returned to the war and served with the army for many years.  I've been told that he fought in El Alemain, North Africa and Italy.  He was married with approx. 3 children (one daughter was named Theresa and known as Terri).  He died in London, I believe in the late 1980's.

Where can I look for information or does this sound like your family?