Author Topic: Searching for Gordon in Mass?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Searching for Gordon in Mass?
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:35 BST (UK) »
I have reason to believe that my late husband`s half-brother may have emigrated to the USA
date unknown, perhaps he was taken there by his mother as a child, or went when he was an adult.

His name is GORDON GRAHAM STUART STRINGER, born Jan 1918 in Brightlingsea Essex,mother was   Blanche Stringer nee Fraser
I would love to find him or ,  his family if any, to discuss details about his mother Blanche.

I doubt if he knew he had a half-brother, my husband never knew about him.

Please please if you know about him or know anyone who knows him,please help, I would be so grateful for any information Possible he was last in Massachuttes, his name is mentioned as being there  on Ancestry. I have access to Ancestry UK, but the full information would have been on the World section, which I do not have (not able to afford that unfortunateyl, being an OAP)

Thank you in advance for any help offered, I wait in hope.
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Gordon in Mass?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Why are you searching for him in Massachusetts? people searching under your other post for this Gordon Stringer didn't find him in Massachusetts in Ancestry. He doesn't seem to be listed in passenger leaving U.K. 1890-1960 under the name Gordon Stringer and not sure if his mother is listed anywhere there as I don't know when she would have been born. What U.K. records have you tried?

Other post here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,329448.msg2097295.html#msg2097295
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
I mentioned Mass. because the entry on the search panel I looked at, said his name was in the Mass.City Directory, unfortunately I could not gain access to that entry because I have only Ancestry UK. To access the directory I would need to have the world one, which unfortunately I cannot afford (not on the OAP pension anyway!)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:00 BST (UK) »
I think more than one of us have checked Ancestry and have found nothing under the Massachusetts directories that fit him.  Ancestry's searches tend to bring up results in city directories that are based on names on two different lines. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Mars Barr- think you should forget about looking in Massachusetts (and U.S.) for now until you are able to find that we didn't stay in the U.K. You can do some searching for him on FindMyPast (free) but I couldn't see any sign of him leaving the U.K.
I see that you've posted messages looking for him on lots of other sites and hopefully you'll get a lead through one of these postings.

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 September 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for trying to help me in the search for Gordon.

As far as I know, he could be still living,I have checked through quite a few years  and there is nothing on the death indexes (England) so I am keeping my finger crossed for some news (hopefully!)

I have also tried searching on passenger lists, but nothing there either
I tried searching for his mother taking him o/seas when a child but again nothing.

So, I can only hope someday something may turn up!

I must say that people on here are so helpful and try their best to help so many people with their enquiries.I have had wonderful help in the past with other questions & brick walls
without people like you, it would take so much longer, and perhaps not at all, to solve the many brickwalls etc
and I`m sure that like myself many others are so grateful
for all the help and advice given.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 September 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
He could have left England/Wales and gone to Scotland, Northern Ireland or Ireland (separate registration systems there) or even somewhere in Europe without showing up on FindMyPast or left the U.K. after 1960. Hopefully you'll get a result from one of the messages you've posted.