Author Topic: Sharing Useful Links: GERMANY and E. Europe  (Read 35258 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Useful Links: GERMANY and E. Europe
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Just a reminder: GEDBAS is a purely voluntary collection. 
Anybody can upload their GEDCOMs there, but there is no "organisation and planning" as in sites like freeREG, freeCEN, or freeBMD, etc, so there is no way of knowing what is still to come / might be coming.

You need to constantly re-visit, to see if anything new has been uploaded.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 February 14 06:08 GMT (UK) »
The Meldekartei Danzig (Gdansk) - Registration cards for inhabitants - is  online ( A-H) 1840 -1945 and some K

http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/10/14/0/5#tabJednostki

Regards Peonie

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'clogs to clogs in three generations'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 April 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all these links Bob.
I have just put in a search request with Gedbas for a GGGrandmother:

Anna Maria Luckhardt
Born: Frankfurt, Germany - about 1828
Father’s Name: Christopher Luckhardt – Occupation: Florist
Married: Joseph Lanchbury - 15 September 1864 – Westminster, London, England.
Children: Charlotte Maria Lanchbury 1865-1920 Paulina Lanchbury 1867 -  1911 Ellen Matilda Lanchbury 1872 - 1953
Died: England - between 1901 – 1911

The German embassy had no record of her birth certificate. they did have links to family searches but all of them were very expensive and so your links are really helpful. Gedbas have a link to translate the page into English. Without that, I may have struggled but it was straightforward and so we wait to see if anyone can help us trace back from her. We don't even know when she arrived in England.

May as well put the request here too. Hope you don't mind.

first record we can find for her in England.

England Census 1861.
Address: 6 Oxford Terrace, Paddington, Middlesex, England
Anna-Maria is named Mary. We know this is Anna Maria as the age and place of birth is right, also, the address is the same on her Marriages and Banns four years later.

We have census records for her right up until 1901 when she is aged 73 and a widow. She probably died before 1911 but we can't find any record of her death either, probably because of multiple misspelling of all her names, Christian, maiden and married.

English records usually turn up in the end and we hope the same will happen with the German links, translations permitting. If there is anything helpful in the search process for others, I will let you know.

Thanks again for getting us started
CANTY - Ireland - London
LANCHBURY - Oxfordshire - London
LUCKHARDT - Germany - London

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
I've been re-examining the REMENYI family history
Topic: REMENYI, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=33455.0
and Roy mentions there the Trianon Treaty of 1920

I looked this up and discoverd a lot of information which helps to explain some of the many different place names/country borders of pre-WW2 Europe.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Trianon
and in particular the map shown there under "Borders of Hungary"

For more maps of this time, see also Google Images: Trianon Treaty

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'clogs to clogs in three generations'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 April 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Bob,

Apologies if my previous request should not have gone here and hope you don’t mind if I post it up again as a separate thread. However, I think this is the right place for the following.

In attempting to find the LUCKHARDTs, it was suggested that Christopher Luckhardt may have had a florist shop in Frankfurt and that I could try and find a business directory from 1820 – 1840 and see if he is registered there. The Anglo German Society has a Hessen archive that I have been told is very good but it costs quite a lot to join. If all else fails I may do so but here is the link and membership fees for any that are interested

http://www.agfhs.org/site/index.php/about-us/join-the-society

UK membership
Single member: £15.00 plus one-off £7.00 joining fee
Joint membership: £16.00 plus one-off £7.00 joining fee

EU membership
Single membership: £16.50 plus one-off £7.00 joining fee

International membership
Single membership: £18.50 plus one-off £7.00 joining fee.

In the meantime and on a hunch, I Googled Frankfurt and with the help of translation aps found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesse

and then I tried this

Hessen Archive - Hessisches hauptstaatsarchiv – and found this

http://www.hauptstaatsarchiv.hessen.de/irj/HHStAW_Internet?cid=3f29115905bd32f2a9df3ae02c0c031f

This site does not have any direct link to Genealogy but it does have a tab that translates the whole page into English and a means to email the archive with any questions. I have just done this to request a business directory for Franfurt 1820 – 40

Hope this is helpful and shall I update all on the fresh thread? Don't want to double up but can update here as well if you like or you can delete this. :-\

Please advise
CANTY - Ireland - London
LANCHBURY - Oxfordshire - London
LUCKHARDT - Germany - London

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 April 14 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lone Trooper,

No problems :)  It's sometimes very difficult to keep a 100% division between links and lookups, but please contuínue to add any new links here.

regards,
Bob

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 28 April 14 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob; Have just returned from a family search visit to Schleswig-Holstein. I had been given a copy of this Directory S-H Archives HamburgUP_LASH_100_Archivfuehrer.pdf which proved helpful. It was published in 2012, but is already partly out of date. Worth referring to, but check before you go or write or telephone.
Found it essential to distinguish between State (Civil) Archives and Church Archives. Many State archives only keep those documents affecting the town or county activities and may not e what a family historian is after.
For Schleswig-Holstein Church archives visit http://nordelbisches-kirchenarchiv.de/ (German language only) but check before you go - they may also be out of date or out of the office.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 28 April 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
Tanks Ratty2 :)

Have just returned from a family search visit to Schleswig-Holstein. I had been given a copy of this Directory S-H Archives HamburgUP_LASH_100_Archivfuehrer.pdf which proved helpful. It was published in 2012, but is already partly out of date. Worth referring to, but check before you go or write or telephone.

For all:
If you enter S-H Archives HamburgUP_LASH_100_Archivfuehrer in your search engine you can find some links to download this document.

Or go to
http://blogs.sub.uni-hamburg.de/hup/products-page/publikationen/96/
On the right-hand side of the page you will see:
Frei verfügbarer Volltext
HamburgUP_LASH_100_Archivfuehrer.pdf
LASH_100_Archivfuehrer_Schleswig-Holstein.epub
LASH_100_Archivfuehrer_Schleswig_Holstein.mobi
Which means freely available full-text versions as PFD, EPUB, or MOBI-File

regards,
Bob

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
A reference book for Kellinghusen, Steinburg, is "Personendatum aus dem Flecken fur den Familienforscher: texte zur Geschichte Kellinghusens, Band 4; by Richard Kolang, Kellinghusen. This includes Hufnerlistes, Burgerrolle and Volkszahlung; all for specific years. Try der Amtsverwaltung:    Am Markt 9; 25548 Kellinghusen. It is written in German, but with an on-line translator is quite manageable. Herr Kolang also has a searchable CD of his work.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay