Author Topic: What database or program should I use ?  (Read 54297 times)

Offline casram

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What database or program should I use ?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Like Mike I also use Rootsmagic for my ONS -have done so for over 10 years and find it is very easy to use and it happily accepts unconnected individuals. I like the fact that I can easily join people to the appropriate family later as I find links ( or unlink them when I discover mistakes !) You can add notes to people and also pictures, scans of documents and other media.
I looked at Custodian but could see that it offered anything I could not do with Rootsmagic.

Carolyn
Broadhouse, Broadist and variants - world wide - one name study
Oxfordshire - Broadist, May, Carpenter, Eden, Goold (Gould), Parker, Tanner
Gloucestershire - Broddis, Deacon, Midwinter
London - Fox, Gill, Maidlow, Easton
Norfolk - Stebbings, Gore, Gotts, Hubbard, Cropley
Berkshire- Haines, Kent, Booker, Noke, Norris
Yorkshire - Ramsbottom, Robinson, Dawson
Northamptonshire - Jones, Loak, Dent, Randall, Reynolds, Ramsbottom, Jelley, Rutland
Ireland - Withers, Cassidy, Leahy, Sweeney

Offline Gary2017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What database or program should I use ?
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you very much for your message! The way you described how RootsMagic works with the "unconnected" individuals and being able to make notes is exactly what I am looking for.  You described perfectly what I am looking for! I will be downloading RM tonight and I"m looking forward to using it.  This group has been great and thanks to you and Mike, I now feel confident which program will be best for me. Thanks again! :)

Hi
Like Mike I also use Rootsmagic for my ONS -have done so for over 10 years and find it is very easy to use and it happily accepts unconnected individuals. I like the fact that I can easily join people to the appropriate family later as I find links ( or unlink them when I discover mistakes !) You can add notes to people and also pictures, scans of documents and other media.
I looked at Custodian but could see that it offered anything I could not do with Rootsmagic.

Carolyn