Author Topic: What database or program should I use ?  (Read 54225 times)

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
What database or program should I use ?
« on: Sunday 08 August 04 18:34 BST (UK) »
Can anybosy suggest a good genealogical programme for One Name Studies?
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Best Computer Programme
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 04 23:32 BST (UK) »
Try RootsMap, the program allows you to do a surname distribution map of the surnames you are looking for.

http://www.rootsmap.com/

To quote from their site:

A surname distribution map takes the incidence of occurrence of a particular name and transfers that information to a map. Most of RootsMap UK distribution maps are based on data from the 1881 census, and are available showing either place of birth or place of residence at the time of the Census. Using the 1881 Census as a data source, a map can show the likely origin of a surname in the UK, particularly when showing place of birth.

You're looking for "Genmap UK" to search any surname.

Trystan
RootsChat Admin
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
What database should I use?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I've been thinking (for a while) about starting a "one name study" for the Woods surname.

My intention would be to concentrate on occurrences of the name in Ireland mainly but I know before I even start that the numbers of individuals is going to be pretty big.

Can someone advise me how best to computerise all this information so that I can manage it correctly.

If I'm going to do this properly, I would prefer to start off with the right system rather than giving myself the task of transferring a lot of data into a new system later on.

What should I do?

RonnieG

Moderator Comment: topics merged, similar subject
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What database should I use?
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just came across this old un-answered post while browsing around. I guess the problem has been resolved by now but, for what it's worth, I should think it would be best to stick with one of the many proprietary family tree programs. Then you will be able to print it out or export the data as a GEDCOM if you want to share it.

Having experimented with various spreadsheets, dBase, etc. I soon discovered you can spend more time working out how to organise the data than you spend 'inputting' it.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Anarchia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 January 08 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone tried using Microsoft Access for this?

Family tree software doesn't store the data in a way that allows me to identify links easily. Excel is working nicely, but it is ugly, has limited flexibility and it would be so much nicer to have something suited for the purpose.

If you have tried using Access, I would love some hints! As Mike commented, I seem to have spent longer trying to get Access to work than I have entering data today!

Ana
Baxter, Yorkshire    Bezant - Wiltshire
Bluett - Suffolk    Buist - Scotland
Chadwick, Yorkshire    Gwatkin - Chepstow
Johnson - Ragnall    Mason - Nottingham
Mettam - Sutton    Parker - Ayrshire
Ryde - Middlesex    Smith - London
Tunnard - Tuxford    Winchester - Moray

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 08 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Access is very good for this, but I know what you mean about spending more time making it work than entering data - and I've been on a course! You also have to design your own forms and get endlessly distracted trying to make it look pretty.

Custodian software is the one you want for a one-name study (and as far as I can tell it is basically an Access-type database already customised). You might also want to contact the Guild of One-Name Studies www.one-name.org.uk whose members are already doing what you are setting out to do, and have a lot of experience, as you can imagine. Even if you don't want to join, try to get hold of some back numbers of their Journal, which often has articles on this sort of thing.

Mean_genie

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 08 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Some of the genealogy programs (eg RootsMagic) do store the data in .dbf files which you can manipulate with dBase or Access etc. But I would copy the files to a new folder and work on them there to avoid corrupting the originals.

It's always worth bearing in mind that you may want to share information with others, so use a format that is accessible. I once developed a dBase accounts package on my old CP/M computer, only to find I then had to print out everything so that the accountant could then re-enter it into his Sage program!

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Anarchia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 January 08 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information about Custodian - it looks very good indeed. The program might not do everything I was thinking I wanted to do, but it does things I didn't know I wanted to do until I saw it! Unfortunately, my partner thinks he can set me up with Lotus Approach, which seems much, much easier to use than Access (I want to create the tables, forms, links, output formats etc without reading instructions  :P ), and which we already have (no need to spend 25 pounds). So, it looks like I will be creating tables for a while... Hopefully, I will be able to justify buying Custodian sometime.

Ana
Baxter, Yorkshire    Bezant - Wiltshire
Bluett - Suffolk    Buist - Scotland
Chadwick, Yorkshire    Gwatkin - Chepstow
Johnson - Ragnall    Mason - Nottingham
Mettam - Sutton    Parker - Ayrshire
Ryde - Middlesex    Smith - London
Tunnard - Tuxford    Winchester - Moray

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 January 08 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Lotus Approach! I used to have that, and I managed to set up tables, forms etc without spending a month with an instruction manual, as far as I can remember, much easier to get a grip on than Access.

I am told by a work colleague who has used Custodian for a long time that you can import data from other databases, so with luck you will be able to migrate all your records from Approach when you eventually get Custodian (fingers crossed).

Mean_genie