Author Topic: CHARGE Family - Little Hadham  (Read 2651 times)

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CHARGE Family - Little Hadham
« on: Friday 26 September 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
I need help tracing my great-great-grandfather William Charge. He married Ann Watson in St.Cecilia's Church, Little Hadham on 6th July 1807, a maltster by trade. I have a copy of the entry in the parish records. They had twin sons born in 1824 and a daughter born in 1826, I have all their birth certificates.
I cannot trace William's birth or death, and neither can HALS. He may have died before his son Henry married in 1850 as he did not sign as witness.
IGI records show a William Charge christened in Lt.Hadham 20th Jan. 1765, son of John & Elizabeth Charge, and the National Burial Index shows a death on 1st April 1832 in Lt.Hadham. There were many families in Lt.Hadham with that surname, there is no confirmation that this birth and death relates to my William.
Thank you.
Geoffrey Charge
Charge, Gray, McCorry. Essex,Suffolk, Ireland (Armagh)

Offline delta

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charge family, Little Hadham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoffrey
Are you sure you have the right marriage in 1807?
Assuming the couple were 20ish when they married then Ann would have been around 40 when their children were born.  Also, it seems strange that there should be a gap of 17 years between marriage and children being born.
On the IGI there are two girls Jane baptised 8.9.1807 and Martha 19.3.1809 Little Hadham, parents William and Ann.  Later there are two boys - Henry Vale Charge and William Charles Clarke Charge baptised 28.8.1824 Thorley and a girl Amelia Ann Charge baptised 7.9.1826 Thorley.
The only marriage on there around that time was between William Charge and Ann Clark 20.10.1825 at Little Hallingbury, Essex.
Again, from the IGI there is a William Charge baptised 28.4.1793 at Little Hadham to William and Mary.

All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms
Wallduck

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest in my request. With my research taking place over many months it is quite refreshing for an outsider to see something straight away.
I refer to the 17 year gap which you mention, I had not noticed this, and you may well be correct when you ask if I have the right marriage.
I shall renew my search in a somewhat different manner now.
Again many thanks for your reply.
Kind regards from
Geoffrey Charge
Charge, Gray, McCorry. Essex,Suffolk, Ireland (Armagh)

Offline Iron lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Mary Charge who married into my Luck Line. Joseph Luck and Mary married on 3/4/1819 at Much Hadham. Mary bap 20/3/1796 at Little Hadham to William and Mary so perhaps she is the sister of William bap 28/4/1793.

Margaret
Winepress
Bearman
Luck
Parsley
Bennett