Author Topic: Knaresborough Union Workhouse/ 1901  (Read 5472 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Knaresborough Union Workhouse/ 1901
« on: Friday 26 September 08 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys........

I have a Elizabeth Whitworth, aged 23 years old, a inmate at Knaresborough Union Workhouse, in 1901........

She states she was born at Wolverhampton !! I can find no sign of her ( with the name Elizabeth ) prior to this.......

She gave birth to a son , Harry , in the June qtr 1901, who was adopted. The family were told she died in child birth. No sign of that in Knaresborough.

Can anyone tell me...

A) Where the Work house records are kept ?
B) If I can view them , what info on the inmate would be available ?

Thank You kindly

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Knaresborough Union Workhouse/ 1901
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 September 08 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

if you enter Knaresborough on the workhouse site:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/
you'll see some information about it.  It seems some records of guardians' minutes and ledgers are held at North Riding County Record Office, but not sure if that will cover what you want to know, so may be worth contacting the NRCC.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 September 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank You Barbara.......

I will give that a whirl.......

It's amazing where this hobby takes you !!

Regards

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff Howard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeannie. I believe you have recently used this site. I came across your post about Knaresborough Workhouse by chance. From 1957 for 11 years I worked for the West Riding County Council at the Welfare Offices along the front of Knaresborough Hospital - the former Workhouse. About 1958/59 it was decided to bring into use a small store room on the upper floor which was crammed full of old ledgers (enormous heavy leather bound volumes). There were anything up to 100 of these. The nearby Modern School had gardens not far away and I and another young clerk were ordered to remove said  ledgers there and BURN THEM. We were given brown porters coats and an old handcart and it took us 3 or 4 days to complete the job. I think they decided to keep just a couple but the rest went up in smoke. We did have a look into them - lovely copper plate writing and every details of daily life, residents, staff and so on.  This would not happen today but nobody gave a thought to what they were destroying. I hope you found what you were looking for.

Offline LizB1857

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
So sad to see this as I have an ancestor who died in Knaresborough Union Workhouse and it would have been interesting to see her record.
So many things done in the name of progress eh?