Author Topic: Puffett/Puffitt  (Read 26554 times)

Offline Auntie Wyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Puffett/Puffitt
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim
William:
I have a Baptismal date of 23.2.1834 Broadwell.
Am I right in thinking that he married Jane Leaver Q2 1856 Newport M. R.D.? If my thinking is correct then he must have moved to Wales somewhere between March 1851(when he is still in Filkins) and his marriage.

John Puffett 1809 Parents Henry & Sabina:
I think that after the death of Dinah (buried 31.12.1843 Broadwell aged 34) he went on to marry  Jane Pargeter Q2  1864 Brackley R.D. and settled in Farthinghoe North Hants. He was buried 13.6.1878 All Saints Church Farthinghoe.

Jane then married Richard Hirons Q3 1869 Brackley R.D. I don't have their death dates.

If you need help with Henry and his siblings/ancestors I do have some info.

P.S. Filkins did not have its own parish church (St. Peters) until the mid 19th century. The first Puffett baptism there was in 1864. Before then Filkins was in the parish of Sts. Peter and Paul Broadwell where most, though not all, Baptisms, Marriages and burials took place. A few Puffett Bapts & Burials took place in Broughton Poggs.
The spelling of Broadwell appears to be a Victorian one as prior to then there was no a in it and it was pronounced Braddle. My Filkins born family still call it that.

Hope this helps
Lyn
Harness, Puffett, Lock(e), Abbey, Hercliffe, Ward, Alinson, Underhay

Offline tim_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
There seems to be quite a few, apparently different, Puffett families hailing from Filkins - I struggle to understand who's who in it all!
We seem to agree on the William / Jane marriage in Q2 1856 in Newport.
I can't find much in the way of census info about William before 1871 so I'm thinking it might be down to a variation on the spelling of Puffett  (I've managed all my life by saying "two 'effs, two tees"!!)
Thanks for the Dinah death date - that might open some new info up.
Is there any grave info / photos available on-line - can't say I've ever found any?

Offline Auntie Wyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim
William is in Filkins up to 1851 but he is definitely not there by 1861.
As to surname spelling changes. Both my maternal and paternal grandmothers registered their children with the wrong spelling. I assume that either they were unaware of the correct spelling or that the registrars spelt it the way my grandmothers pronounced it.
On to the number of different Puffett families in Filkins - They would all appear to be descended from the same couple. More later if you wish.
Lyn

Offline tim_p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Yes please! - you've not got a public tree on Ancestry have you?

Tim

Offline tim_p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 16:25 BST (UK) »

John Puffett 1809 Parents Henry & Sabina:
I think that after the death of Dinah (buried 31.12.1843 Broadwell aged 34) he went on to marry  Jane Pargeter Q2  1864 Brackley R.D. and settled in Farthinghoe North Hants. He was buried 13.6.1878 All Saints Church Farthinghoe.
Lyn,
This seems to be backed up by 1871 census which shows John Puffitt (worryingly b abt 1817 though) living with Jane Pargeter (b1831) in Farthinghoe along with George Pargeter (b1861), Thomas Puffit (b1865), Emma Puffit (b1867), James Puffit (b 1869), Edwin Puffit (b 1871) and Alice Pargeter (b 1792)

Do you reckon that works out?

Tim

Offline Bazjon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 05 December 16 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you can help
My grandfather was Herbert puffitt of Eastleach, I have tracked is line back to Filkins and as far back to Henry and Sabina puffett. Surname spelling changed,
I want make sure I am so far correct. And would love any information on this time line and would like to go back more.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 05 December 16 10:49 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a lot of Puffet/Puffetts !!

Marriage-15 October 1804 at Broadwell
Henry PUFFETT  Filkins
Sabina COOKE   Filkins
Wit=Thomas Cross/Daniel Purbrick

Baptisms {at Broadwell}
13 Feb 1780-Henry PUFFET s John & Sabina

08 June 1777-Sabina COOK d Thomas & Ann

Kim

Edit at 2.47  pm
ooops
Henry was the s of John and Mary {wrote Mary but typed Sabina :-[}

Offline Auntie Wyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bazjon

I can help take you back 2 generations, then it gets a bit murky. Your Henry was the brother of my ancestor Daniel.

Their parents were John Puffett and Mary nee Smart. I have a copy of the original parish register christening entry for your Henry.

Your Henry was Christened 13.2.1780

John was Christened 3.1.1746 (Julien Calendar) St. Peter & St. Paul Broadwell Oxon.

He was buried 20.4.1800 (Gregorian Calendar) St. Peter & St. Paul Broadwell Oxon.

He Married Mary Smart 26.12 1768 (Gregorian Calendar)  St. Peter & St. Paul Broadwell Oxon. Both of Filkins. I have found 10 children for them.

Mary was buried 3.1.1826  (Gregorian Calendar)  St. Peter & St. Paul Broadwell Oxon.

I have no other information on Mary as there isn't a christening for her in the Broadwell parish registers.

Filkins did not have its own church until 1857 so until then all Filkins inhabitants ceremonies were performed at Broadwell with a few exceptions performed at St. Peters, Broughton Poggs

Up until the Victorian times the spelling of Broadwell was Bradwell and pronounced Braddle which is still how my Filkins rellies pronounce it.

I have info for Henry's siblings and his grandparents.

Hope this helps
Lyn

Offline Whalen_Puffett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 February 21 04:10 GMT (UK) »
I have found my wife's Grandfather is Arthur J Puffet born 1879 and died 1957 in Bridgend, Glamorganshire, Wales.  He was married to Elizabeth A Jackson.  Looking for any assistance