Author Topic: Completed Marriage, Manchester Cathedral - Willis/Longworth  (Read 5784 times)

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Completed Marriage, Manchester Cathedral - Willis/Longworth
« on: Monday 29 September 08 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
 If anyone is at the Lancashire Records Office and could look up the marriage between Robert Willis and Elizabeth Longworth which took place on 29th March 1839 at Manchester Cathedral. I am particularly interested in the names and occupations of the fathers of bride and groom and if it states where they lived or came from i.e. Scotland?

Many thanks

Andi

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage, Manchester Cathedral - Willis/Longworth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Andi

Details of your request:

29 March 1839 at Manchester Cathedral
Robert WILLIS of full age and a bachelor
Residence :Store Street
Father : Thomas WILLIS

Elizabeth LONGWORTH of full age spinster
Residence: Store Street
Father: Robert LONGWORTH

Both signed
Witnessed by Esther DEAN and David SWISLEY or something similar .

Regards
Eric

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage, Manchester Cathedral - Willis/Longworth
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
Eric

Many many thanks you have been a great help.

Andi

Offline Ken W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Marriage, Manchester Cathedral - Willis/Longworth
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hallo Andi
Just come across your enquiry about Willis/Longworth marriage, which put me on the path to find more about them. They were my great great grandparents. Do you have any further information about them and do you need any more info, as I have built up quite a lot about both of them.
You seem to have been very busy across Lancashire!
Ken W

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 June 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Elizabeth and Robert would have been my 4 x Great Grandparents. I have a fair bit of info about their children but less about their parents etc. Would be great to share info. I have a tree on Ancestry have you come across that?
I have lots of Lancashire relatives so yes I'm thankful there are so many records online. I'm descended from their daughter Martha Anne Willis, where do you fit in?

Andi

Offline Ken W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hallo Andi. Thanks for info - I don't do Ancestry but will look up your family when I have time. I haven't got back further with Robert's parents Thomas & Euphemia - may have to go to Scotland for this! also I can't get back further than Elizabeth's (Betty's) parents Mary Lunn and Robert Longworth. There's a gap in Eccles baptism register for Robert. I have accounted for Betty's Thomas, Mary 1 & John (twins), Jno., Hannah and Mary 2. Both Longworth parents died in Barton (Winton) Workhouse. My reading of info so far is that Robert almost certainly left Kirkcaldy (with his mate and later neighbour David Swirles) in 1836/7, as a result of James Nasmyth's advert in Edinburgh papers for suitable workers for the Bridgewater Foundry when he was faced with a strike. By 1841, Robert had been married for 2 years and it looks as though he had found his handloom weaving father-in- law an new occupation as a shopkeeper, probably in the company's 'Foremans Row' opposite the Foundry where they were all living in Green Lane. Their children Robert Longworth, Euphemia, Mary and Martha Annie were born at Green Lane, Thomas Henry and Elizabeth Harriet Agnes (my great great grandmother) at Hunslet, where Robert (aka Black Bob) was by 1846 Foreman of The Railway Foundry (E.B.Wilson & Co). He gets several mentions in the David Joy Diaries, which show that he not only built railway engines but also sometimes drove them with passenger trains attached! He is credited with the world's first agricultural traction engine  (Willis's Farmer's Engine) but didn't stay to see it through; Joy was involved in 'bringing it out' in 1856 but my guess is that the design was handed over to Joy's friend John Fowler, giving rise to the dynasty of Fowler traction engines, built in the next street. He appears to have lost his job following a 'great dustup' in May 1850 and by 1851 was 'engineer 2 of firm employing 32 men'. I don't know where but very different  from 4-500 employees at the Railway Foundry! In 1851, 15 months after EHAW's birth, Betty died as a result of unsuccessful childbirth.She was buried at Barton Wesleyan Chapel (daughter Mary 1 joined her in the same grave in 1857). Robert remarried, the following year, Mary Ann Sawdon (his housekeeper?) at Malton when he was living at Bradford. In April 1852 he had a 4 year contract as General Works Manager back at the Bridgewater Foundry (I'm looking into which house went with the job and hope to find more at the Salford library later this year). I don't know where he worked from 1856; when he made his will in 1859 he was living somewhere in Liverpool. When he died at Barton in 1859 (don't know where he's buried), Martha Swirles was present and registered the death. I have assumed that Martha Annie was named after her. I haven't managed to find much about Martha's family yet (busy with other branches of the family). I do, however have several things which may interest you: a beautiful leather-bound prayer book inscribed 'New Year's Gift To Miss E.H.Willis From E & A Hodgson 1869', an oil painting of Betty Willis, probably in her late 20's and, in the Minnis photo album, a not very clear photo of the matching painting of Robert Willis (probably taken in the 1890's), I wonder who had it? There are also some unidentified photos of female relatives in the album, which could be relevant.
In 1875, EHAM married John Minnis at Malton (and died at her daughter Lizzie Longworth Minnis's home at Harrogate in 1906. Her other child, John Harold Minnis, was my grandfather. His daughter Marjorie (my mother) also had Longworth as her middle name.
I hope I've been able to tell you SOMETHING you don't already know!
Ken