Author Topic: POSTLETHWAITE Rev. Richard C. from Roche, Cornwall  (Read 3116 times)

Offline blackwood1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
POSTLETHWAITE Rev. Richard C. from Roche, Cornwall
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 09:53 BST (UK) »
I am researching a direct-line ancestor originally born in Roche, Cornwall.
He was married in Cripplegate in 1830 to Martha Millicent MARGRAY (MARGRIE).
He became a deacon (ordained by the Anglican church in Durham in 1839), and emmigrated to Western Australia on the Lady Grey (supposedly with his wife and two daughters), where he served as a minister until 1852. His emmigration was sponsored by the London Society of Missions to assist at All Saints Church.
He then moved to Victoria, Australia, and we have no further record of him.

We do have a record that his oldest daughter, Louisa Benedicta Chaledonis Selena, was married in Exeter, Devon in 1851 (we don't know who too).

We would be grateful for any information on his other history in England (as a young minister), his emmigration or his story after 1852 when he moved to Victoria (whether he went back to England etc.)
Thankyou kindly!
POSTLETHWAITE

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POSTLETHWAITE Rev. Richard C. from Roche, Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 11:17 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is new to you. The father of Richard, also called Richard, was the rector of Roche. There is a possible burial for father Richard aged 70 in St Austell 9/2/1829.

The only occurrences of the surname on the IGI in Cornwall are the baptisms of Richard and his siblings in batch C022211. It's certainly not a Cornish name, but from further north. Searching for Richard Postlethwaite on the National Archives gives results mainly in Cumbria and a few in Lancashire.

I can see Louisa's baptism in Topsham in Devon in 1832, but her marriage doesn't seem to be on the IGI. I've tried searching for Louisa born Topsham on various census years after her marriage, but nothing looks very likely - no children called after parents or relatives staying. Although there is a Louisa married to a shipwright William Blake and there is a William Blake on the same page as Louisa in the marriage index. You could buy her marriage certificate to be sure
Louisa Benedicta Selina Calideness Postlethwaite march qtr 1851 Exeter vol 10 pg 161

No sign of Richard in any later census either that I can see.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Blackwood1
Welcome to rootschat.  At the top of the occupations board is a link to a clergy database which might have more information.  I have an early copy of Crockfords Clerical Directory at home but I doubt if it will show him in Australia.  will check later though.
Andrea

Offline blackwood1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replys.
The information about Richard POSTLETHWAITE Snr. we got from the Anglicans Church's db on the web. He is the only Richard who shows up at the moment.

Any information from Crockfords would be most welcome.

Thanks again,
Felicity.
POSTLETHWAITE

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 15:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry.  Nothing in my 1865 Crockfords on a Richard.   Colin, 2 x John and 2x Thomas if they ever crop up.
Andrea

Offline pete1789

• RootsChat Member
  • Joseph and Rosamond's wedding, 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Felicity
I have been trying to reply to your PM, but keep getting error messages. Louisa married my direct ancestor, William Blake, in Exeter in 1851 and I can fill in a few of your gaps regarding Richard's career in Australia. I'll try to reply to your PM again tomorrow.

Best wishes

Pete
Bishop : Dorset/Guernsey
Blake : Devon/Guernsey
Priaulx : Guernsey
Spencer : Gloucestershire/Hereford
Davis : Hereford
Hammond : Middlesex
Wellings : Middlesex
So far...
All census information:Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 08 18:20 BST (UK) »
This may or may not be of some interest or relevance, but Christopher Joyce Postlethwaite, b c 1895, Perranporth, was killed in action during the First World War, as was his brother. His father was at that time the village doctor in Brentor, Devon. His parents were Frank and Emma Elizabeth Postlethwaite  "of Perranporth".

Offline blackwood1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 October 08 07:43 BST (UK) »
Pete,

Thanks for the update, I don't know yet is this is useful.  My son signed me up for this family tree site and I am not all that confident about using it.  We did send for what we hoped was Richard's death certificate but as with a lot of these documents it is not conclusive.  In the part for his parents name all is 'unknown'.  He is listed as a retired Church of England clergyman.  It also lists two daughters and one son living but I thought I had found a death for his only son George Henry Applyby Post., but now I don't know where I found that information.  If it is our Richard it seems he died a lonely death because his first name is initially written as Robert.  Also there was an inquest at his death and a jury decided he died from natural causes, there is no cause of death listed.  When my son returns I will get him to send you a copy of the death certificate - I do feel sure it is the right person.
POSTLETHWAITE