Author Topic: Newbridge on Wye  (Read 7146 times)

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newbridge on Wye
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Trying to trace the Davies family, Newbridge on Wye.
Annie was born in 1904, George approx 1907 possibly at Aberithon Farm, Newbridge, George in later life moved to Hafod Fraith in Llangurig . Their father was then killed by a horse approx 1909/10. Unfortunately I don't know the father and mothers names. He was buried in the chapel in Newbridge. I can not find any info, any ideas of where to look?

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Newbridge on Wye
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kreigcf

My advice is to start from the near past - then back as your information on George and Annie seems so thin and because the commonality of the surname.

Do you know when George died and where? You say George moved to Llangurig in later life - is it possible he died there- If he died in latter years and you know a year then there's a good chance it will be recent enough to have a date of birth on the certificate. Once you know the date of birth it will easier to find a birth cert?

Was George or Annie married - if so do you know when- and whom to - a marriage cert would give Father's name.

If you know nothing at all further to the information given - then it maybe worth working through the Burial registers for Llangurig to see how many George Davies' appear and if anything can be gleaned.

This isn't a brickwall but its a hill to be climbed for sure

sue

Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 October 08 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, George died in the 1990's as far as I know, and never married. Annie Davies married a Walter Griffiths i'd say in the late 1930's but I don't know where they married. Have looked on various websites but can't find a marriage. There mother died in the 70's and I believe she is buried in Llangurig, but I don't know her name!. I will have to go and look around the graveyard as nothing else seems to be working.

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 October 08 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keigcf
Have you looked for the marriage of Anne Davies to Walter Griffiths on Ancestry- Findmypast or one of the sites with the full BMD registers? If not, let me know and I can search Ancestry.

Llangurig being in Montgomeryshire - well was once - has an excellent resource - the North Wales BMD's http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/bmd_welcome.html
 As you know Llangurig comes under the Newtown registration district and this is well covered. However I cannot be sure coverage is complete and its worth checking the GRO indexes. Unfortunately their death indexes only go up to 1950.

I cannot see the marriage of Anne Davies here but once we know a bit more generally this should be a great resource. I found an Anne Davies and a George Davies born 1904 and 1907 respectively in Llanidloes- but this is just a wild guess

On the 1984 to 2005 GRO records there are about 5 potential George Davies who have deaths registered in Newtown during this period.
Its a good idea to visit the graveyard but a look at the Burial register would be useful. However the vicar may not be keen given the recent nature of the death.

Best hope is to find the marriage for Anne Davies

Sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 October 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've tried ancestry.co.uk, but had no joy as yet,

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 October 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I managed to find Aberithon on the 1901 census ref RG 13/5185-

Dorothy Evans aged 59 Widow and her family were Farmers at Aberithon at this time. 

The farm is still there today - just google search Aberithon and you will find an address- maybe worth writing to the present occupants to see if they know anything of the history. Its an outside chance.

It is possible the Powys record office may have some directories for the period you are interested in - listing the occupants of Aberithon. Again the electoral rolls for Llangurig may  help identify potential George Davies' - you may then have to investigate and eliminate each one-
Check the Baptism registers for Newbridge on Wye both Cof E and Non conformist to see if a George and Anne  have the same parents.  Ultimately your best chances of success are probably at Powys Record office.

Like you I have the name Davies in my family and everything takes twice as long to find due to verification etc. However it can be done!

Good Luck
Sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 October 08 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I did find Aberithon on the census, and I happen to know who lives there now, its actually my husbands uncle and Aunt (Mothers side while the Davies's are fathers side) small world isn't it! They however moved there in the 50's and don't know anything at all. Its all sent to try us I know, I'd just like a little breakthrew, thanks for your help, its very much appreciated,
Kathryn

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 November 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Isn't the 1911 census available now? If you can get access to that, your problem will be solved very easily. I thought it was at www.1911census.co.uk, but I can't seem to access it. That is certainly the way to go tho'.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 November 09 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Radnorshire wasn't available last time I looked, but its been a while so I'll check again...