Author Topic: 3 years later and still looking for john lear!  (Read 2816 times)

Offline andreajodie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3 years later and still looking for john lear!
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm back again looking for john lear late1700's most likely of motcombe dorset

Heres a selection of posts referring to this before:
very confused!!!!! lear family
« on: Monday 05 November 07 13:32 GMT (UK) »  

~~~~~~~~
frances lilley c.1795 and john lear c.1783
I have them down as married and first child in 1807
however this would onyl make frances 12
i'm also completekly stuck trying to find john lears parents
its hghly likely that these dates have become muddled somewhere along the line
if anyone can help me to clear this up i'd be grateful
thankyou!
jodie  

Re: very confused!!!!! lear family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 07 13:45 GMT (UK) »  

~~~~~~~~
hi, where did you get the info. from? i cannot see them on IGI or Phillimores (Phillimores does not cover all parishes)

what are the exact dates you have for marriage and also birth of the first child?

« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 07 14:00 GMT (UK) »  

~~~~~~~~
Just linking these together to save duplication, so see also:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,137252.msg616933.html#msg616933

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,266255.msg1510819.html#msg1510819

Barbara

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RE: very confused!!!!! lear family
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 07 16:41 GMT (UK) »  

~~~~~~~~
Hi,

Have you searched for John or Frances on www.dorset-opc.com?  Do you know what part of Dorset they came from?

Nanny Jan  

andreajodie
RootsChat Extra

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 08:09 GMT (UK) »  

~~~~~~~~
Hi all
They were from motcombe in dorset and I found their marriage recorded on the onlune pairsh records there
amaria/amelia was a name that was given to me a while back from someone who found it on a cnesus record with the parents. the date of birth for this would be 1807. however, i am now doubting that the census information given me was for the right john and frances lear, as this would've made frances about 12 when she had her first child :S
estimated date of birth is 1783 for john. i found most of his information on www.familysearch.org as he and frances are listed as the parents of my DEFINITE ancestor mathew lear (one of their sons). I then searched the census records and found john lear to be in motcombe in the 1841 census. thjis is where the info has come from.
thanks for your help and patience with me on this!!!  

Galium
RootsChat Veteran

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 08:25 GMT (UK) »  

~~~~~~~~
It is possible that Frances Lilley was not baptised as a baby - the online records for Motcombe only show one Frances Lilley baptism, in 1795, so this could be the one who married John Lear.  Sometimes parents did not get around to baptising their children until they were older, and records don't always state the age of the child.

It is technically possible for Frances to have married aged 12 - this was legal for a girl at that time.  I don't know how often it actually happened though.  

??? So I'm still lookin for mr john lear, two wives it seems frances lilley married 1806 in motcombe (taken from motcombe online parish records), aged 50 married to a Charlotte in 1841 census with my direct and definite ancestor mathew lear as his son. However, I'm still completely confuzzled and have no new or further info on this guy and worst of all I havent found many other people save one looking for him, which I'm sure you know makes pooling in info a little more difficult

any help at all would be fantastic before i completely give up on this guy and move on from the lear family!

Thank you very much

Jodie

Offline jendor

• Sorry email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Dorset OPC Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 years later and still looking for john lear!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
One possibilty could be John LEER son of Thomas & Mary baptised  8 Oct 1786 at Silton? that's only about 4 - 5 miles north west of Motcombe.

Have a look at http://www.opcdorset.com/BourtonSiltonFiles/Silton/SiltonBaptisms1.htm there are several baptisms starting with Ann in 1773, you'll need to scan down rather than search as there are several varient spellings... including LIER & LEAR (John seems to be in the Parish Register but missed off the BT's which are on site). there is a also a marriage in 1769, Thomas LEIR & Mary HUMPHRYS married 19 Dec 1769.

Jen
(Coordinator Dorset OPC)
Brickwalls... Dean in Brecknock, Freeman in Bedfordshire
Working on my girls tree...
Richer (Essex & suffolk)
Legg, Hunt, Ellis, Wareham (Dorset, Blandford & abouts)
Cannell , Cowley, Christian (Liverpool & Isle of Man)
Sherwood, Jeff/e, Bland, Sharrard (New forest)

Also interested in Paradise/Paradice in Gloucestershire

Trying to figure out the Davis family of Winterborne Abbas and where they originated (before about 1780)

Offline Ardwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3 years later and still looking for john lear!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know whether this will help, but it may be something to check out. I have ancestors born in Motcombe and some of them were Catholic and baptised in Wardour Chapel, Tisbury. There were a higher proportion of Catholics in the area, see http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=661. The chapel was completed in 1776, so your ancestor may have been baptised there. I don't think their records are on line.

Regards,
Buffy
Arden, Millington, Robinson, Willis - Cheshire
Goodwin, Edwards, Thomas, Jones, Cooper - Flintshire/Denbighshire
Edgoose/Edmunds - Hampshire/Surrey/East Anglia
Arnold/Blundell/Down - Surrey/Dorset/Wiltshire
Hartshorn - Hertfordshire, Kent, London
Self - London/Surrey