Author Topic: Audlem/Wrenbury - where do I go next  (Read 22613 times)

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Audlem/Wrenbury - where do I go next
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 06:38 BST (UK) »
hi

there is a birth registered for Myrtle T Foster mother's maiden name Bright 1920 in Edmonton which covers Cheshunt; East Tottenham; Edmonton; Enfield; Hampstead; Hornsey; Pymmes Park, Southgate; Tottenham; Waltham Abbey; West Tottenham; Wood Green

would this be your Myrtle
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 06:47 BST (UK) »
Sue

the London Gazette is searchable online, might have the shooting on there.

Pat
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
I can't find him in 1861, where does it say he was born?

The apart from Attely, which is difficult to decipher, he seems to think Congleton/Astbury is where he was born. Assuming Kesia married William Forster, the G with Kesia, would seem to be a good candidate. Whetstone Edge is just a couple of miles east of Astbury.

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
hi

there is a birth registered for Myrtle T Foster mother's maiden name Bright 1920 in Edmonton which covers Cheshunt; East Tottenham; Edmonton; Enfield; Hampstead; Hornsey; Pymmes Park, Southgate; Tottenham; Waltham Abbey; West Tottenham; Wood Green

would this be your Myrtle

This is my Myrtle - correct area, correct mother's maiden name and she was obviously younger than I thought. 

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry Sue, I should have explained what I meant better.
If you can get some one to have a look at the complete 1851 census on a paid site, they can fill in a 1st name leave surname blank, fill in year of birth & place of birth. It should then come up with a list of names & hopefully one that fitd in with your chap.

Do you mean for the whole country in 1851 or just one area.   I have a membership to ancestry.co so will have a go.   Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 09:33 BST (UK) »
AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
I thought that it had a bit of credence  ::) ::) ::)

It did and I thought so too until I found George Foster on the 1861 census in the Navy (Kezia's George is on the census in Lancashire with a wife in 1861 if I remember correctly).

Sue

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
I can't find him in 1861, where does it say he was born?

The apart from Attely, which is difficult to decipher, he seems to think Congleton/Astbury is where he was born. Assuming Kesia married William Forster, the G with Kesia, would seem to be a good candidate. Whetstone Edge is just a couple of miles east of Astbury.

1861 It says he was born in Congleton, Cheshire.   The actual census is RG9/647 Folio 27, page 35

Because he is now a Marine he is listed by his initials.   It says he was born in 1841 and is age 20.  He is living in Barracks at Alverstoke, Portsmouth, Hants.

1871 says he was born Attley, Cheshire.   Birth date 1842.  Residence 1871 Alverstoke, Hants.  The census is RG10, Piece 1150, Folio 79, Page 22

1881born Congleton, Cheshire 1841.   Residence in 1881 Alverstoke, Hants.
Census RG11, Piece 1166, Folio 129, page 20

[From his military paperwork he leaves the navy in March 1881 - he remains in the area for a while (found on parish register as witness to more than one wedding) His wife's family had a Tailor's/Drapers closeby at 12 Forton Road, Forton, Hants]

1891born Astbury, Cheshire 1845.   Residence in 1891 Epping, Chingford, Essex
Census: 1891 RG12, Piece 1361, Folio 25, Page 42

[Between 1881 and 1901 - start and end dates unknown - George Foster worked as a Police Officer Central Market.   The Metropolitan Police archives have no record of him.   The Epping Museum has a list of police for that time and he is not on it.   It has been suggested that he was a kind of security officer.   The reason I tried to trace him through the Police is because they have pictures usually]

1901 born 1846 Astbury, Cheshire
Residence Clerkenwell - now describes himself as a naval pensioner - several children still at home.
Census:  RG13, P252, F219, Page 28

Possible Death Islington, Middlesex, 1906.

The above is what I know about him - below is what I have put on his anc.co tree thinking/hoping it may be right!

1851 b1842 Clerkenwell
Residence 1851 Chingford, Essex
Census HO107, P1770, F11 Page 15

If this is correct he will not be on the 1841 census anywhere.
I found a possible birth for him but it was registered in Stepney, not Clerkenwell - Foster:  Q1 1844 Stepney Vol II, P5511.

I am not sure if this clarifies anything at all sadly.   If anyone wants to check with the tree in case I am overlooking anything obvious, it is the Dean/Cronshaw/Foster tree.

Sue

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

1) The later censuses, and this is when we know we have the right person presumably, have a later year of birth.

2) All  censuses have Cheshire and a fairly discrete area as place of birth so I don't understand why Clerkenwell is being suggested.

3) There is no proof- in that tree- (as far as I know) that George in Manchester is Keziah's George. I am thinking that, who ever compiled the tree has chosen a George to fit. (Similar to us really  ;))

Will have to think again  ;)

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 11:23 BST (UK) »
Looking at the trees, events and records:
There are these:

George Foster b abt 1841 Congleton m Mary Ann 
no parents named
source: 1881 census ...

George Foster -birth 1842 Congleton  (unsourced) no parents named  m Ann Tomkinson

George Foster birth 1843 Congleton parents John and Lois (is on 1851 census) Is also in a Forster tree

George Forster birth 1844 Congleton -parents William and Kesiah -source 1851 census
also another tree- with above and 1861 census

So none of these are that certain in their sources.

Have you tried sending for a certificate- specifying William as father?

There is a site for Astbury parish records but it costs money to get a check.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk