Author Topic: Audlem/Wrenbury - where do I go next  (Read 22645 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Audlem/Wrenbury - where do I go next
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 11:17 BST (UK) »
well it is taking shape- I had a quick look for Mary Moss
Free BMD has a Mary Moss and a Mary Ann Moss both born 1839 Nantwich.

1) Mary Moss b 1839 livign Bunbury mother Mary , brother Samuel
2) parents Thomas and Elizabeth and siblings -Nantwich
3)b 1837 -parents Thomas and Ann plus siblings- accounted for in 1851

1851 - Mary Moss b 1841 niece to George and Ann

there is also one born 1837 Audlem- a servant.

IGI has Mary - Thomas and Elizabeth and a church member has submitted a marriage of Thomas Moss wife Elizabeth Wybunbury  ::)

good luck!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this will be of any use.

Thomas Cadman of Audlem, shoemaker appears on Joseph Thursfield's marriage lic. dated 1763. Thomas signs his name.
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 09:38 BST (UK) »
another idea is Cheshire Record Office does wills that you can order online. Plenty of Cadmans
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Madabout,

Thank you so much for the info - sadly I have realised I was following (I think) the wrong Fosters (which led me to the Cadman's).    The 1841 census - and I made the mistake of not looking at the original - said George Foster was born in Astbury - when I did look at the original much later on in the research, it actually said Audlem (wrong part of Cheshire and wrong Fosters).

Although I have an exact date of birth for my George Foster I have never got a lot further sadly - he may have been born in Astbury Cheshire as he says but missed the 1841 census -there is no record of his birth on BMD Cheshire.   

I am still pursuing this elusive G Grandfather and am shortly going to post on the County of Middlesex.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

It's quite hard to pick up on something a few months later- knowing that at the time I could follow it quite well  ::)
Although I don't know why I have given info re William  ???
Is it George b 1840 we are looking for?

Just to say that the 1841 census didn't give places of birth- only whether born in the county.

Just to reiterate what is in 1841 census:

Audlem/Wrenbury:
George Foster (Forster) 1 yr with George 40 yrs and Ann 35 yrs all born in county

There is no George in the Wybunbury family with George and Ann so now am totally confused.

heywood

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I am totally confused with the Fosters myself and getting close to giving up on them!

Basically George Foster b 1799 Audlem who married Ann Cadman is the wrong George - shame because he fitted as did the children.

My George Foster (God bless him!) was also born in 1840.   His military record states he was born in Congleton, Cheshire.   One of the census - 1901 I think - says he was born in Astbury, Congleton, Cheshire.    I have never found him either on the Bishops Transcripts, Parish Records (on line both), the Mormon discs etc.    I have him on the 1861 - 1901 census.    He never varied with his age.   I have his wedding cert where he said his father's name was William and that he was an "engineer".    He married Mary Ann Rowland b 1848 Cape of Good Hope, SA (her father was in the army - 78th Essex Foot).

In 1860 George signed on at Newcastle under Lyne recruitment office to join the Royal Marine Light Infantry.   He remained in service until 1881 (March).

He moved to Essex.   (Mary Ann Rowland's family were basically an Essex family of Tailors from Gt Baddow in Essex except for her Army father William Rowland who, after be left the army became a Prison Warder in Alverstoke, Hants -George's family were supposed to be from Cheshire but I suspect they were an Essex farming family.   I did find William Foster, a farmer in his 60's in a Hamlet near Gt. Baddow, a widdower, who could just have been George's G father and I found a William Foster in Clerkenwell who could just have conceivably have been George's father - b1816 in Weston, Staffs - George, if it was him, is on the census born in Clerkenwell.   To make things even more complicated, I know that my Grandfather, William Foster b 1880 in Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hants, was once a Fruiterer and I find yet another William Foster b 1816 in Covent Garden, Lambeth who is a Fruiterer.

I am admittedly now grabbing at straws here.   I have recently found out that one of George Foster and Mary Ann Rowland's children who died was Arthur Osgood Foster.   I found a death for George Foster in 1908 as "George Hosgood Foster".   Is this too much to hope that George's mother was an Osgood/Hosgood.     

I have just had the address of 14 Woodstock Road, Finsbury Park, Hornsey, Middlesex, confirmed as existing as two dwellings in 1911.    I know the Fosters were living there on 7th October 1902 because Mary Ann's sister Emily died there - I have her death cert.    I know also that the family stayed in the area although moved eventually i.e. my grandfather William Foster b 1880 lived at 42 Beatrice Road, Hornsey in 1910 when my mother was born but by 1914 had moved within the area by the time my aunt was born.

Boer War Military records on William Foster 1880 have confirmed I am after the correct George Foster 1840 as described above but he is proving elusive.

Either George lied about his age and place of birth to get into the Royal Marine Light Infantry early - I suspect he may have been born in 1844 or he is correct and I just can't find him.

Yes I am confused, very confused.   Sorry to have bored you with all that! ???

Bewildered Sue ::)

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I would look at the 1851 census with the name George, dob & birth place. See if anyone matches.

Pat

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

At the risk of sounding "thick" -how does one look at a census and put a name in - when I looked at the Congleton Census with all its villages (and there were many) I just looked from logging on to Astbury, Congleton and in included Congleton Edge.   I had no idea you could do it any other way.    Sue

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is clutching at straws but ...

1851 HO107; Piece: 2167; Folio: 283; Page: 33

Smagg (?) Street Congleton

Kesia Forster head widow 29 yrs Silk b Staffordshire
G F son 6 yrs b Whetstones Edge Cheshire
E F daur 4 yrs b -do-
Sarah Brown grandmother 72 yrs b Staffordshire

gives a Staffordshire/Cheshire connection

There is a marriage -Congleton 1844 Kesiah Bayley and William Forster are possibles.
Death 1850 William Foster Congleton

Lots of Fosters/Forsters but if these fit - they are a better fit than others.
The only thing is that George's birth is wrong but that death is an 1844 birth .. I think.

Trying to find her in later censuses to see what transpires.