Author Topic: Stuck and 'Jewish' family story: true or myth?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck and 'Jewish' family story: true or myth?
« on: Thursday 02 October 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
My husband's family have a family story/myth that they have Jewish roots. According to his (now sadly deceased) grandfather either his (my husband's) G or GG grandfather was buried in a Jewish cemetery in Golders Green and had Jewish ancestry. I am tracing the family and there is no hint of Jewish ancestry yet. I am, however, finding it very difficult to trace them prior to the 1871 census. They have a very common name and I don't know London well so I'd be grateful for any tips or help in tracing them and how to investigate the 'Jewish story' further.

The G Grandfather was Francis Henry Taylor born c1876 probably in St Giles in the Fields London. He married Emily Eliza Einchcombe on 10th April 1898 in All Saints Parish Church nr Peckham. I have their marriage certificate and his father was Benjamin Taylor. Francis was a coach japanner (sp?)

I have Benjamin George Taylor and his family in the 1871 and 1881 Census. I'm not sure how to give a folio reference for the census. In 1871 they are in 19a Tower Street, St Giles in the Fields (St Giles North, district 10) and 1881 in 9 Lidgate Road, Camberwell (camberwell, St george, district 11). Benjamin was a carpenter/cabinet maker. He was born c1835 and gives his place of birth as London City or Middlesex, London in the Census. His wife, Emma, is alone in the 1891 Census so presumably he died between 1881-1891. She gives various ages that take the year of birth to 1837-1840 and place of birth as Soho or Clarkenwell. She was a costumier or dressmaker and is listed as deaf in the 1881 and 1901 censuses.

I'd be very grateful for any help. As the name is so common I am finding it difficult to work out which GRO certificates are theirs. I can't find any strong matches in the pre-1871 censuses and to my (untutored) eye none of this looks likely to reveal Jewish roots....

Many thanks

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck and 'Jewish' family story: true or myth?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
for the reference - on ancestry there is an option to 'view record'.  Go to this and scroll down past the details of family and you will see 'source citation'.
class, piece, folio, page

for 1881  Class RG11/piece 696/folio 93/page 31

for 1871 RG10/352/22/37

You can put these in at the bottom of the search page on ancestry and just bring up the page with your family on. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
1881 RG11/696/93/31
Benjamin Geo Taylor 46 carpenter b City of LOndon
Emma 44 b City of London
Mary 18
Harriet 15
George 13
Benjamin 10
Francis 5

Benjamin G Taylor 36 cabinet maker and fret cutter
Emma 31 b Clerkenwell
Mary C 8 b Clerkenwell
Harriet E 5 b St Giles
George H 2 b St Giles
Benjamin 8mths b St Giles

Have you had one of the children's birth certs for Emma's maiden name?

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
This looks like a possible marriage for them

June 1861 Holborn 1b 696

Benjamin George Taylor to (one of the spouses) Emma Penford

(If you click on the district Holborn on freebmd, it will give you the areas covered by it.  If you click on the page number gives possible spouses)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
Births  (from freebmd )

March 1876 Strand 1b/683      Francis Henry Taylor

Sept 1870 St Giles 1b/520       Benjamin Thomas P Taylor

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 08 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Silvery,

Many thanks for kindly looking at this for me. I think I will probably have to order that certificate for Francis Henry. As the name is so common and the location not quite where I thought it would be I was a little reluctant (I've spent far too many £7!).

I also thought that that marriage looked right but when I go back to the 1861 census and before, I can't find an Emma Penford who is a good fit with Emma Taylor's information. Nor can I find a strong match for Benjamin.

Thanks again for taking an interest

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
No I can't find them earlier either.   It may need the information from the marriage cert to do it.   

when you order the certs from GRO you can specify checking points.  so for birth of Francis Henry, specify father Benjamin,  this will cost you £3 if it is not, and they will refund you £4, and if it is they will send you the cert.

Generally speaking though, just fill in the 'red starred' bits on the order form for the GRO.   

The marriage looks right.    I was wondering if the name got mangled from Penfold to Penford at the time. (thinking of an accent)
 Just a thought though as the image does say Penford.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
According to his (now sadly deceased) grandfather either his (my husband's) G or GG grandfather was buried in a Jewish cemetery in Golders Green and had Jewish ancestry. I am tracing the family and there is no hint of Jewish ancestry yet.

It may help, for elimination purposes at least, to know that the Jewish Cemetery at Golders Green (Hoop Lane) was only established in 1895, with the first burials apparently taking place in 1897.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 October 08 20:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information avm228. I think the GG grandfather died before 1891 as he is not in the census so it would rule him out. Many thanks.

Thanks also for that information Silvery. I will order them and post here again.

I think I have probably watched too many 'who do you think you are' episodes as as soon as I had problems finding them I thought they must have name changed...