Author Topic: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson  (Read 25954 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

The Kilbride cemetery burials are available online. There are Brysons in many plots. In plot 164 is a Robert Bryson who died 1836 aged 86 and an Elizabeth who died 1831 aged 86. I think the Joice in the same plot who died in 1862 aged 75 was the Aunt Joice also mentioned in the will of John Bryson of Ballyvoy. Another location mentioned in later burials in plot 164 is Duncansland.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruthamy,

I have just checked my Mid-antrim Ancestry notifications and see that the person who has posted their interest in this  family does not match your name though is a new researcher. If you are not connected then there is someone else researching the exact same family Bryson/Wilson/McCune/McKelvey.

If you are also researching McKelvey, that is one of my Drummaul families that actually connects to my branch of the Gawns. My Gawn family is from Dunsilly but connect to the Donegore Gawns back around 1750. As that connection is not established I keep the Donegore Gawns in a separate tree. I would have to look in that tree for the Agnes Gawn that Gilby mentions married Francis Ferguson.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Gilby is perfectly correct it was James Bryson, (not Robert)  in plot 164 Killbride who was buried 1 Aug 1836 aged 86 and I presume his wife was Elizabeth who was buried 31 Jan 1831 aged 86.

It was the Joice Bryson in this plot that makes me think that James and Elizabeth Bryson were the grandparents of Agnes and John Gawn whose will you posted as a link. There is another will of John Bryson of Ballyvoy who also mentions an Aunt Joice Bryson, a sister Martha Thompson deceased, a brother James Bryson in the USA, a sister Elizabeth Mackey wife of William, and a brother Robert Bryson.

Offline AnneFerguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for helpful information. I am new to this and researching my father Frank Ferguson's side (age 93). His father was James Milliken Ferguson b 1887 married Sara(h) Jane Foster; Grandfather was William John Ferguson b c 1854 married Kate /Katherine Milliken; I believe Frank's Great grandfather was Francis Ferguson but do not have proof yet, although Gawn family tree makes it likely. If so, Francis married Mary Scott, and predeceased his father, Francis who was married to Agnes Gawn. I live in Australia, am keen to purchase Donegore Church records and view any gravestone information around Donegore/Kilbride/ Parkgate. I will be in Co Antrim in September for two weeks only and would greatly value any leads or information prior to my trip. My father Frank was raised at Ballyvoy Lodge, Doagh/Ballyclare, his father James Milliken F had inherited the farm when brother Frank died a young man. 1901 and 1911 census returns confirm as far back as William John. I am most keen to verify which Ferguson lineage is correct, Many thanks Anne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
Looks like this might be the 2 Francis Fergusons you mentioned?

The Will of Francis Ferguson late of Holestone in the County of Antrim Farmer deceased who died 25 January 1858 at Holestone aforesaid was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Mary Ferguson Widow William Scott and James Ferguson Farmers all of said place three of the Executors. Will dated 3 Nov.1857 mentions wife Mary, son William John, daughters Jane B, Nancy G & Mary Eliza, executor Samuel Ferguson of Parkgate & James Ferguson of Holestone, etc. You can view the wording of the entire Will-
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Francis Ferguson late of Holestone in the County of Antrim Farmer a Widower deceased who died 13 September 1866 at Straypark near Holestone aforesaid were granted at Belfast to Thomas Ferguson of Doagh in the County of Antrim Surgeon the Son and one of the next of kin of said deceased.

The Will of Thomas Ferguson late of Doagh County Antrim Surgeon who died 18 February 1890 at same place was proved at Belfast by James Coleman Ferguson of 164 York-street Belfast M.D. and Mary Agnes Ferguson of Doagh Spinster the surviving Executors. You can also view his Will with the above link.

There is this extract which mentions a son William John, etc.- The Will of Thomas Ferguson (Senior) late of Ballywee west County Antrim Farmer who died 8 July 1887 at same place was proved at Belfast by Samuel Milliken (Junior) of Tobergill and James M'Connell of Ballysavage both in said County Farmers the surviving Executors.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
Ann,

If you contact William Gawn of the Gawn family history site, he may have more info on Francis Ferguson than is shown on his website. Williams family have been farming in the area from the time of his Ancestor Andrew Gawn.

Thank you aghadowey for those wills

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
There are lots more relevant will extracts on the site but I just posted a few as I'm not sure if Anne is looking for more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thomas Ferguson (1828-1890), son of Francis Ferguson (1791-1866) and Agnes Gawn, married Mary Coleman. James Coleman Ferguson was their son.

I have got James Milliken Ferguson as the son of Francis Ferguson and Mary (I did not know her surname was Scott) in my Donegore Gawn tree. Billy Gawn and his mother were my original sources of all my Donegore Gawn information in the 1980s so it is not my own research. Though I did look up these Ferguson and Bryson wills earlier this year, as well as the Kilbride burials for Bryson.  For some reason I wanted to sort out the Brysons though I do not have any direct connection. The Kilbride Bryson plot 164 has Strawpark as well as Duncansland locations. I did not look up Ferguson burials.

I see there is another tree in Ancestry that has a different wife for Francis Ferguson senior, not  Agnes Gawn.

If Francis and Agnes Ferguson's daughter  Jane B Ferguson was Jane Bryson Ferguson, and her sister Nancy G Ferguson was Nancy (Agnes) Gawn Ferguson, then I think that would support the Gawn version of this family.

Gilby may be able to add more about this branch of Fergusons.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Going back to the gawnfamilystory website, I see that Jane B Ferguson is not Jane Bryson Ferguson, but Jane Bigger Ferguson. Possibly a clue to other connections of this Ferguson family. Nancy though was Nancy Gawn Ferguson.