Author Topic: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson  (Read 23753 times)

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« on: Friday 03 October 08 00:38 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information that will help me find  this family from the Donegore area.  Some of the births of the children say born in Ballywee - some Ballyclare -  it does appear to be that area of Antrim.

John Bryson b1764 married  before 1788  ( unknown) Wilson??
then: about 1810-1812 married Mary McCune of County Down
 children-first wife:
 James Bryson b?? ( desperately looking for this child's family), I know he died in Ireland before 1836 - his father(John) leaves a legacy to the children in his will of 1836.
Mary b ??  married name Warrick ( one known child - Mary J. Warrick), both alive 1836.
Margaret b 1788, mrd William Barr abt 1810 Ireland - came to America 1817 (would I be able to find any record of marriage for this couple - my ggrands)
Jane, b 1798, died Ireland before 1838, married James Ferguson....I am desperately looking for some burial or death info on her.
John by 1800, married Mary Houston Ireland - child Charles, b 1828 Ireland 
Charles b 1809 Ireland
Children second wife:
Agnes b 1812, Isabella 1814, William 1816, Eliza 1818, Ann Jane 1820, David 1822 - all born Ireland.

Family left Antrim in 1830 for America- John and wife #2 Mary brought all of the children except:  James, Mary and Jane.....looking for anyone with connections to any of these families, especially the three left in Ireland.  Are there any records that would help me find these 3 children?  And/or any info on any of the family before they left in 1836? 

Any bit of help would be most appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 08 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hello ruthamy,

There are several items which need to be established when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination ... this is important as it's the first step in finding church records.
2. Parish ... step two in your search. Once you've established the denomination you need to find the churches in that particular parish as well as making enquiries about the existence of records for the period you are researching. You should be able to find these details online ... make a note of where such records are held.
3. Townland ... this can range in size from an acre to several thousand acres. In a great many cases the name of a townland referred to an identifiable feature of the landscape ... properties may or may not have had names but it's unlikely they were numbered as they may have been in towns and cities when your ancestor's were living.

You'll have to rely on Church records when searching for this list of ancestors as they were born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland which started in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

Christopher

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruthamy05,
Where to look, have you tried www.proni.gov.uk
which has microfilm of Donegore Presbyterian (1st) Antrim 79 Donegore (2nd) Antrim 153
and other non records eg Donegore O[rdnance] S[urvey] Memoir D3677

I went searching, one can sense that researchers have been working on the www.familysearch.com has an entry under John F McClary in USA 1880 census for Mary BRYSON MotherL   W   Female   W   83   IRE   At Home   IRE   IRE  . this made me wonder was this your Mary follow on later to Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Jane Bryson (AFN: 9RSJ-5F) has the submitters name available. I noticed the entries for Charles Bryson ie Charles H. Bryson Birth:  15 APR 1828   Of, , Antrim, Ireland
 Marriages:  Spouse:  Isabella Cuddy  Family Marriage:  About 1853   Of, , Antrim, Ireland:  Record post 1991 by a member 
and of the census for Challes BRYSON   Self   M   Male   W   74   IRE   Farmer   IRE   IRE  I think the IRE daughters age 
questionable West Deer, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Then I came across
Nancy Bryson  Birth:  1821   Of Donegore, , Antrim, Ireland  Marriages: Spouse:  James Boyd  Family
Marriage:  04 JAN 1842   Donegore, , Antrim, Ireland Record submitted after 1991 by a mwember
 again the David Bryson entries as expected. However at that I ran out of steam.

Donegore is being looked at elsewhere on Rootschat, I think there is also a book about the area. I noted that Donegore civilparish is surrounded by in the north Connor civil parish, to the East by Kilbride civil parish, to the west by Aghagallonntrim, and to the South by the grange of Nilteen. and from www.ballynagarrick.net/ulsterancestors/Donegore.htm Donegore ‘s townlands include Ballyclaverty,  Ballygowan,  Ballynoe,  Ballysavage,  Ballywee,  Ballywoodock,  Browndod,  Cromy and Taggarts Land , Donegore itself,  Drumagorgan,  Dunamuggy  Durham's Land,  Ferguson's Land,  Freemanstown,  Halftown,  Rathbeg,  Rathmore,  Taggarts Land and Cromy , Tobergill
sorry I cant help further
Good luck onwards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 01:09 BST (UK) »
Jim,
Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this.  I actually looked at the Jane Bryson one, and I am quite sure she is my Jane.  I tried writing to the person listed as the submitter and even contacted the LDS..they had no idea who the person was or what the Medieval Family listing means....so I got no where with that.

I very much appreciate your taking the time to check these, I appreciate the townland listings, we have other references that show the family was from "Ballywee", certainly not someplace I am able to locate today.

I sure would love to fiind a connection, hopefully one day!

Thanks again for your help.

Ruth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 08:37 BST (UK) »
I sense wrongly or rightly you haven’t seen enough images of Ballywee to believe its there.
If you want to see what Ballywee looks like, you have about 3 choices, the best of which are the
1.Maps
•   Ordnance Survey maps, scale 6 inch to the mile, First series date ~1835
•   Ordnance Survey maps, scale 6 inch to the mile, First Revision to the First series ~1860., If you are lucky one A3 size photocopy will contain and show the boundaries of the townland. The latter map shows individual fields etc.
The way to acquire these is to write or email the local history section of the area Education and Library Board that includes County Antrim, you would need to be patient as you don’t know the sheet number, they can find this if they know the civil Parish ie Donegore. You would need to ask for an estimate of copying it by what ever means available to that library unit ie a photocopier or a digital camera. The flat sheet maps are probably stamped copyright Public Record Office of NI, or are the Original printed version  that were bound up into County volumes. I think it is wise unless you can afford the best, to say at this stage it is wanted as a working copy for private use. The paper sheet of either map cited above is not copyrighted and can be copied. I got this clearly stated to me this year.  You may have to pay for post and packing eg a tube starts to get expensive, or ask them to fold the photocopy to a suitable size for posting to wherever you live’
However the PRONI and OSNI are currently co-producing at test stage an annotated digital version, of the 6 inch series . That will be copyright protected.
1.Maps continued 'On the internet'
•   Go to Google type in Ballywee Rd, Parkgate, Ballyclare, Antrim BT39, and up comes  a b&w road map, showing  that Ballyweee Road runs from Connor Road to Hollybank Road, but you wont see Ballywee Townland as such. You can switch to satellite view but it is blurred at the magnification you might want, however Muckamore is just coming into view bottom left hand corner and you will see the satellite in sharp focus.. There will be a reason for that blur, but I dont know.
•   Type in http://staging.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php. Somewhere it says search by surname or Place , try place. If you are really lucky they may have done your area What you get is Griffiths valuation maps of about 1860 ie the 6 inch , with all the occupiers listed
2.Photographs
•   Go to the Google search engine type in Ballywee and then go to the Images heading, there are 4 relevant. Better than nothing
•   Sorry run out of time, Jim
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
worldwide

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 00:42 BST (UK) »
Jim,
Thanks again, this is really great stuff.   I checked out the Griffiths info on Ballywee.  Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ruth

Offline Bemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:11 BST (UK) »
hello ruthamy,
Don't know if this is of any use to you.

Had the opportunity to go to Parkgate yesterday and called into the cemetery at Dunamuggy,Donegore 2 Presbyterian.
Although I could not find anything on the Brysons you mentioned
I did find graves for
i)  Robert and Martha Bryson plus sons John and Francis
ii) Francis and Elizabeth Bryson and children Francis,Ellen Maria,Margaret,Elizabeth,Alexander and John.

There was no sign of anything for Fergusons
For Warrick,nothing. There are quite a few for Warwick,possibly altered down the years.

By coincidence,the notice outside the church states a Miss S Warwick as Church Officer living next door.Tried calling but no one at home.

I,m only a couple of miles from Parkgate so if there is anything of interest let me know.

Bemac

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 October 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Bemac,
Thank you so very much.  That was so kind and thoughtful of you to take the time to do this.  It isn't likely I will ever have the opportunity to visit any of these wonderful places.  Your time is most appreciated.

I look at how close all of these places are and think that the Bryson, Wilson, Warrick etc families all had to have been related in some way.

It is very frustratring that there are very few records available for these early times.  I was told that the records of Kilbride and Donegore Churches were destroyed.  Cemetery records are what ever can be found on tombstones ( if they can still be read).  I'm not giving up hope of finding my family, I know there has to be someone or something that
will give me the clue/info I need.

I thank you again for your kindness and I will certainly add this family to my list of Bryson's.

Warmest Regards and a big thank you

Ruth