Author Topic: Barrow family - Blackpool Area - Early 1800s  (Read 5378 times)

Offline 47813

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barrow family - Blackpool Area - Early 1800s
« on: Friday 03 October 08 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been looking into my GGGG-Grandfather Thomas Barrow. He married a lady named Margaret (Surname possibly Johnson)

I started by looking for his birth which he lists on the 1851 census as abt 1816 and then loses a couple of years in 1861 to make it 1818. Both say Marton by which i take it to mean Great Marton, as sometimes is listed for other members of the family.

I take the couple (Thomas and Margaret) concerning their ages with a pinch of salt. Seen as Margaret is 64 in 1871 but more like 15 or 16 years younger in 1861.

I say this because looking on the IGI index i found a Thomas Barrow Christened in St Anne Church, Westby on 10 August 1812 who's parents are John Barrow and Ellen...

...I find their marriage on 31 October 1797 at Poulton-Le-Fylde and her maiden name is Simpson.

Now a little map reading shows that all three are in a triangle shape of course near Blackpool. Poulton-Le-Flyde to Westby is 7.6 Miles and Westby to Great Marton is 4.9 Miles.

The reason this sticks out at me, is because i did a wide search for Thomas Barrow's and the one mentioned above is the only on who is born anywhere near where he says he was born and where the family are living on the census'. Further to that also John Barrow this man's father, his marriage to Ellen Simpson is the only marriage of Barrow's or similar named people in miles and miles.

Adding all this information together as i have, do you think John and Ellen are my Thomas' parents?

Thankyou

Jonathan
LOUGHLIN - Galway, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
HOWARTH - Rochdale
IVES - Rochdale. Originally Thurlstone, WR Yorkshire
BRIDGENS - Rochdale via Stourbridge
JACKSON - Prescot
PENKETH - Prescot
CONNOLLY - Kilmain, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
WILD - Rochdale via Wolverhampton
SANDERSON - Rochdale
KNIGHT - Rochdale via Holme, Huntingdonshire
BARROW - Marton,Blackpool
DAGGER - Blackpool
BAILEY - Rochdale/Rushton, Staffordshire & Oldham
SERGINSON - London/Wolverhampton/Leeds/Manchester
BRIGGS - Doncaster

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
Re: Barrow family - Blackpool Area - Early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 08 13:25 BST (UK) »
St Pauls' church in Marton only opened at the start of the 19th century.  I think it continued as a chapel (is that the right word?) of St Chad's at Poulton right up until the end of the 19th century.

If he's saying Marton as place of birth on the censuses, then I think I might want to check the St Paul's Marton registers to be certain.  Maybe the Poulton St Chad's too.  (I'm not sure if either on the IGI - they're not on lan-opc.org.uk).  If neither of those have a Thomas Barrow baptised around the right time, then you can be as sure as you're ever going to be until they invent time travel.

But I think it's often the case with the earlier censuses that place of birth is often interpreted as 'where do you first remember living?' so saying he's born in Marton definitely doesn't exclude him being born or baptised at Westby.

One point I just noticed - Westby St Anne's is Catholic.  A quick google suggests it was built in 1860, but that's evidently the current church, as the Lancs RO has registers back to 1763.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 47813

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barrow family - Blackpool Area - Early 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 08 02:26 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Aulus for the informative reply  :)

I quite agree that only by looking at the St Paul and St Chad register's will i get a better picture.

I don't know if the family were Catholic or not so maybe something i can look into concerning future generations after Thomas.

What's the betting that if i were to check both register's that there would either be dozens and dozens of same age Thomas Barrow's or none -  ;D

Once again Aulus, thankyou for all the valuable information

Jonathan
LOUGHLIN - Galway, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
HOWARTH - Rochdale
IVES - Rochdale. Originally Thurlstone, WR Yorkshire
BRIDGENS - Rochdale via Stourbridge
JACKSON - Prescot
PENKETH - Prescot
CONNOLLY - Kilmain, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
WILD - Rochdale via Wolverhampton
SANDERSON - Rochdale
KNIGHT - Rochdale via Holme, Huntingdonshire