Author Topic: Jeremiah and Sarah Theresa Donovan, Ireland, 1840 - 1857  (Read 5244 times)

Offline brice01

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Jeremiah and Sarah Theresa Donovan, Ireland, 1840 - 1857
« on: Wednesday 14 April 04 00:09 BST (UK) »
My GGGrandfather Richard John Donovan was the Editor and Proprietor of the East London Observer and Tower Hamlets Chronicle from 1857 until his death in 1875.  He lived with his large family in Bethnal Green in London but was born in Ireland in approximately 1830.  

His father was quoted as a Jeremiah Donovan, Potato Salesman (not a good profession during the potato famine) and the witness at his wedding was a Sarah Theresa Donovan (who could have been his mother or a sister I don't know).  I do know however that Jeremiah was a very popular name amongst Donovans  and I just thought I would ask if any Donovan hunters out there have heard of this particular family in Ireland   and can tell me where to start hunting!

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Jeremiah and Sarah Theresa Donovan, Ireland, 1840 - 1857
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 04 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Brice,

Have you tracked John Donovan in the Census returns of 61 and 71? Sometimes they occasionally put a County other than just "Ireland"

You could also check some of the Links under Ireland general and the Counties

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline brice01

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Jeremiah and Sarah Theresa Donovan, Ireland, 1840 - 1857
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 04 14:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the message it is surprising how you can overlook the obvious!  I have never had a need to consult the 1861 or 1871 Census so far, most of the information coming from other sources.  I will now go and have a look for myself and thanks again for replying so promptly. ;D