Author Topic: Abbotts Langley: The Bon-bon sweet shop?  (Read 34160 times)

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotts Langley: The Bon-bon sweet shop?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was aware that it had closed, I was one of the first students there when it opened in 1949. I have fond memories of the school but not of a couple of the teachers, when I visited some contractors were busy putting paint on all the lovely carved oak paneling, they should have been shot!!!

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline dsjturner

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »

It's such a shame it was a lovely school. I was loking forward to going there, but glad i didn't in the end! I can't believe they were painting the Oak! All these D-I-Y programs paint everything and everyone seems to think it's a good idea!
Seabrook and Doggett Abbots langley, Herts
Robinson, Oxford
Fryer and Bates, Penn, Bucks
French, Oldbury, Worcestershire
Turner and Cunningham Galashiels, Scotland
Barrs, Leicstershire/London

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:21 GMT (UK) »
They were using the house as a set for a BBC detective program based in the 20s' I believe, the last I heard it was being converted in to private flats. There is quite a bit of information about it's early days here.

http://www.allhs.btinternet.co.uk/Journal_articles/Living_at_Langleybury_House_Issue_14.html

this was after my time though  :)

Alan NZ

Offline dsjturner

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
What a great site thanks for that!
Yes it seems everwhere is Watford is being turned into new flats! In fact if you go down the hill i took the photos of today and turn right there are some new flats there too! From what i hear they are having trouble selling them though not suprisingly!
Robinson, Oxford

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I note you have an interest in Seabrook, do they extend to NZ?

I worked for a John Seabrook for a while in 67 when we came here, he was an ex WWII fighter pilot.

Alan NZ

Offline dsjturner

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother Lilian Seabrook had 11 brothers and sisters so i wouldn't be surprised if some went over! Two of my great aunts, Lilian's daughters, went over to New Zealand but they were not Seabrooks!
Robinson, Oxford

Offline Deb A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
"BINGO"

another ex Abbots Langleyite has contacted me and here is a quote from her message.

"
The Bon Bon was located next door to Dobson's Barber's  Shop (where I also had my hair cut until the old man's son (Fred) set up shop upstairs as a "ladies hair salon"!).  Dobson's which is now an antique shop (or was when I was back there several years ag) is on the corner of the Crescent and the High Street at the end of a row of shops that starts up by the King's Head.
The other side of the Bon Bon was Dorets - a "haber dasher" shop  that sold women's underwear, other "unmentionables",  yarn (wool) thread (cotton), etc.  Above Dorets was the Chemist's shop (later taken over by Boots) which had wonderul very large glass containers in the window filled with brightly colored liquids, which was fascinating to a small child.

The Bon Bon was bought by Mr and Mrs Lyons sometime around the end of the war, but when sweet rationing was still in place. I can remember spending, what seemed like hours, pondering what selection I could make when it was my turn to choose the family's sweets allowance.  They also sold toys and had a display of Dinkie Toys to the right when you entered the store.  The sweets display was to the left as you walked in.  Another sweet shop in the village was Miss Glennisters on the other side of the road next to the Bricklayers Arms.  Right at the top of the High Street - past the church was another little, ancient sweet shop - it was near to a butcher's shop and Miss Busbie's Untertaker's business.  Do you remember Pauline Hicks?  She lived in one of the terraced houses up there alongside the Harris's who ran the taxi service."

Regards

Alan

Hello! I was very interested to read all the comments about the bon bon as I grew up in Abbots Langley. The Pauline Hicks mentioned in one of the comments is in fact my mum, and she is still friendly with the Harris family.Mum is still living in Abbots Langley and along with her pals could probably tell you quite a bit.

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb and welcome to Roots Chat, I spent only a short time actually living at Abbots Langley but was at Langleybury School around 1949-1954 and would be interested in knowing if your family have any connection that school

Regards

Alan NZ

Offline Deb A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan

Nice to speak to you. My mum went to Langleybury school many years ago. I'd have to speak to her to find out exactly when.
I went to the Francis Combe school so I personally don't have any connection with Langleybury.
I'll talk to her and get back to you as soon as I can.

Regards, Deb