Author Topic: Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh  (Read 42829 times)

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh
« on: Saturday 04 October 08 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there
can anyone help me please - before I go totally bonkers (maybe it's too late!!)

I'm trying to find out more about my grt grt grandparents .
Only info I have is as follows
1901 Margaret living Bangor - widow - shows her place of birth as Denbigh Pentrefoelas
15/08/1900 Meshach passed away - son JRW present at time of death
1892 (son's wedding certificate) Bangor
1891 (census) Bangor - shows Meshach's place of birth as Anglesey, Almwch
1881 (census) Bangor
1865 married at parish church of Amlwch 21st June (have marriage certificate which shows father as being HEnry Williams and John Hussey Bugh respectively)

I've found some census records for 1871, 1861, 1851, & 1841 census records for Meshach with parents Henry & Margaret - but not 100% sure it's the right one! Sourced middle name for Meshach of Anwyl on familysearch - with Henry & Margaret as parents and his christening date as being 5th dec 1840  - but again, can't validate 100% same one yet (so many Williams!)...

Have several possible siblings from 1841 - 1871 census records - but really need to validate his parents through birth certificate before assuming it's the right parents - anfd that's where I get very stuck
I found one possible birth certificate, but when I applied to it the records office came back to say they couldn't trace it from the ref I provided!!

Can anyone please help me locate irth certificate details, parents (and their ancestry / roots) and grave - I assume in Bangor - of Meshach and Margaret

With regards Margaret - the only details I can find for her - other than marriage certificate and 1881, 1891, and 1901 census is: 1861 census was dairy maid (aged 17) working for Ellen Roberts a hotel keeper in Market Sq Almwch, Anglesey - shows her as being born in Denbighshire

thanks to anyone who can help
regards
Cajondy
Jones - Llangernieuw,llanynys, llanrhaiadr, bangor
Foulkes - Nantglyn, Llanrhaiadr
Williams - Anglesey, Bangor
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Eames - Poss Ireland, Pwllheli, Bangor
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Cajondy,
firstly you say you have Meshach with parents in 1871- he is with Margaret at RG10; Piece: 5747; Folio: 38; Page: 1.

1861 gives a year of birth as 1841 and he is transcribed as Michael but can be seen as Meshach on census.
1851 born 1840 transcribed as Meseck.

Henry is a carpenter as is Meshach later - does this agree on marriage certificates - if so then I would say you have the right one on censuses.
Family Search has Mesech Anwyl as you say and this is supported by other children from family but not all.
I can't see a birth at all unless he is registered as 'male' ?

I realise I have just reiterated what you already have but I am trying to support the notion that you are not 'bonkers' (yet) !
I think you have the right family with Henry and Margaret.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
just remembered I need to search with Anglesey as county rather than district - is this the birth?

Measac Williams Anglesey vol 27 pg 339

Having trouble with Margaret - there is a Margaret Bouch- father John but also, which is quite interesting  there are some births (father Walter) for Hussey DeBurgh on Family Search which may be helpful  ???

The Hussey De Burghs seem to be landed gentry from Ireland - you would imagine that somewhere there must be a connection.

What was John's occupation on marriage certificate?

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
hi there
thanks so much for helping me confirm I'm not quite bonkers yet - it was a close call!

The occupation for John Hussey Burgh on the marriage certificate is "Merchant"

The occupation for Henry Williams is carpenter

addresses at time of marriage for both Meshach and Margaret is Amlwch (!!) a little more info would have been helpful  ???

Witnesses on the certificate are: Hugh Williams and Elizabeth Jones - I'm assuming Hugh Williams was Meshach's elder brother - but no idea at present who Elizabeth Jones is

I've been researching Walter Hussey Burgh / Walter Hussey DeBurgh - but as yet have been unable to find any connections, but I do know that somewhere in my father's ancestry there is an Irish connection - and kind of hoped this might be it - but I seem to have come to a bit of a grinding halt at present......

thanks again for confirming I'm at least not bonkers   :)

Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 October 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
When I saw the name I thought immediately of Irish connections for Hussey and of course when I saw the DeBurghs - it makes sense.
However I cannot see, and am sure you have also searched, for a John.
I wonder if the name was 'invented' for a father on the marriage certificate and / or if Margaret was the illegitimate child of a Hussey De Burgh person  ???

I feel sure (well as sure as can be) that you are on the right track with the Williams - everything fits.

As for Elizabeth Jones - there are 60 Amlwch in 1861 - fair enough some will be too young but it is a tall order  ;)

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
I think I've located the ELizabeth Jones.... It might be a bit of a long shot .... also might just be coincidence - but, I'm getting desperate now!  ???

1871 census she was living with a family of (get this!) Hussey De Burghs in Llanbeblig - I think both parents had passed away by then, but they appear as a bigger family in the 1861 census - but no Elizabeth Jones visible then

If I could find Margaret's birth certificate I'd feel I'd made progress - but I've just search for all H de Burghs, Huseey De Burghs and Hussey Burghs and can't find her anywhere! MOST frustrating

I'm fast running out of ideas now....
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 October 08 09:02 BST (UK) »
I would be wary of ELizabeth - just that it is such a common name; she is 23 yrs in 1871 which would make her quite young to be a witness- although I suppose not impossible. I was hoping that she may be old enough to be the mother of Margaret but not that easy  :D
The Hussey De Burghs (I just love the name) seemed to have arrived 1841- 1851- they are not there in 1841. It could be that there is a stray John still in Ireland who just happened to be there for a time but where would little Margaret be in 1851?
mmm...  ??? ??? ???

For example- just looked at IGI - there is a John Hamilton H de B submission- married 1844 - died 1887 - Ireland  - I'm trying not to go bonkers but it could be someone like him who perhaps fathered a child with a servant in Wales.
I have also looked at 1851 for ant Margarets born Pentrefoelas since that seems a definite place -1901 census- why give that if it doesn't mean anything but there is nothing.  :(

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 October 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, I fear I have got you sucked in to this confusino as well.... I'm beginning to think that Margaret and John may have been visiting from another planet, as I keep drawing dead ends  :-\

I do appreciate your having checked also - at least it reassures me I'm not going bonkers and that I'm not overlooking something - though I fear when I eventually find Margaret and John I will probably kick myself at having missed it before

Not easy this family ancestry research is it!!

thanks again for having done the checking you have

kind regards
Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret Hussey Burgh Pentrefoilas c1843
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I'm resurrecting this one agaon - loads of time since I last looked at this (had to give up for a while for fear of going truly bonkers) but not managed to get anyway (at least I've recovered my sanity!)

Can anyone please assist me in looking up the birth of Margaret Hussey Burgh, Petrefoilas c 1843. Father John Hussey Burgh - can't trace him in any census records, and can only trace Margaret in one!Any help much appreciated - thank you
Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland