Author Topic: Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh  (Read 42813 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I can`t find a birth registered Margaret 1842 to 1846 in Denbs with a similer name to De Burgh. A blanket search for Margaret can be done, but who knows what her name was.
She could have been illegitimate, most likely given her status as a dairymaid. She could have been registered with her mothers name.
I would be tempted to search Parish Registers for Pentrefoelas , and see what turns up. Of course there`s always the chance that her Mum was Non Conformist.
As  a long shot, a bastardy or maintenence  order  may have been served.

Marriage.
Walter Hussey De Bergh .  Elizabeth Hughes
1860 Quarter  Oct-Nov-Dec District: Bangor, County: Anglesey, Caernarvonshire
North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), Friday, November 30, 1860
on 28th inst at the Cathedral Bangor by the Rev E Pughe, Walter Hussey de Burgh Esq to Eliuzabeth daugther of Mr Edward Hughes manufacturer Anglesey.

Trying to locate some of the children.
Gertrude De Burgh 1848 Oct-Nov-Dec Anglesey,
Ulisses Hubert Hussey de Burgh 1850 Apr-May-Jun Anglesey,
Alexander Avirill De Burgh  1854 Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec  Anglesey

Death:   Jun 1861 - Carnarvon, Anglesey,
Albert Edward Walter De Burgh
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 August 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - really appreciate all everyone has provided so far... Not looking good is it..

I'm hoping to head to Wales next week, so will try a trip to the local churches in Pentrefoelas and see if I can find anything further there... I suspect I may end up against a brick wall somehow (unless there's a miracle that suddenly appears from somewhere!)

thanks again - much appreciate all your efforts

Cajondy
Jones - Llangernieuw,llanynys, llanrhaiadr, bangor
Foulkes - Nantglyn, Llanrhaiadr
Williams - Anglesey, Bangor
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Eames - Poss Ireland, Pwllheli, Bangor
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 August 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
Good luck and enjoy the trip anyway  :)
I hope the weather is kind.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timba

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 August 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
I have also come to (near !) the end of my tether with my search for the origins of Margaret Husseyburgh wife of Meshach Williams  :'(
An aquaintance of mine , Lyn Williams living in Bangor has asked me to chase up her long lost Husseyburgh family. She must be a relation on yours and I am happy to pass on her contact details to you.
Lyn has some oral history passed down in the family, and it goes like this:-
"This is the story that we were told about  my grandmother's family. Count de Burgh left Russia after the assassination. He set up stables in Dublin, and his daughter 'fell' for one of the stable lads. She was sent to school in Switzerland for a year. She came back to Dublin, married her stable lad and was disowned. She left Dublin for Anglesey with only her silver christening presents."
Maddenlingly no names!!! Obviously oral history has its drawbacks, but surely there must be some hints here. I know that there was a large Hussey De Burgh family in Dublin and also in Caernarvon and Bodedern on Anglesey at one time.
I live on Anglesey and am now sucked into this mystery :))
Would like to find Margaret's birth - no sign of her anywhere in Wales or England.

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi - thanks for the reply - sounds quite fascinating for sure and I'd love the contact details if you don't mind passing them on

In the 1911 census MAargaret is shown as having been more in Ceirnioge Mawr - interestingly in Pentrefoelas where her only other reference of birth place has been in earl;ier census records (I think it's mispelt from the transcripts) - so, I drove over to the area hoping the local chapel may reveal more information.... I'm doomed never to find out about this woman!! The chapel was converted some 3-4 years ago to a house (ARGH!!)

the owner there (lovely fellow) pointed me in the directino of a nearby chapel in Cefn Brith where he thought the records could have gone to, and if this proved a dead end (no pun intended) he suggested the Aberyswyth records office may have all the old records.

Interestingly, what he did tell me was that in days gone by (the famines, etc) and also in instances where there were perhaps some embarrassing illegitimacies around, the children were often "placed" with wealthy farmers to bring up (usually as servants, but often then encompassed in the family)

Cernioge Mawr is a sizeable farm - so this local information perhaps rings true - so I checked the census records for 1851 (Cernioge shop - not MAwr) and found a John Jones with a niece of 7 called Margaret Jones (am I clutching at straws here)
She was not shown as being with the Griffith family at Cernioge Mawr that year

In 1861 census I couldn't find Pentrefoielas or Cernioge Mawr!

'Does anyone know where the records form the chapel on the main road just outside Pentrefoelas (heading towarss Cefn Brith and away from Pentrefoelas) have been moved to and how I may be able to access them?

regads
CAjondy

Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 00:34 BST (UK) »
Cernioge Mawr is a sizeable farm - so this local information perhaps rings true - so I checked the census records for 1851 (Cernioge shop - not MAwr) and found a John Jones with a niece of 7 called Margaret Jones (am I clutching at straws here)
She was not shown as being with the Griffith family at Cernioge Mawr that year
regads
CAjondy

Hello,
I thought this sounds familiar - searched for your 'earlier' thread in rootschat- found it - read it and then realised that it was this one  ::)

Can I just point you to post 11 in this thread re the Jones. (It's the de Burgh curse  ;D - you just go round in circles
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 06:39 BST (UK) »

... In the 1911 census MAargaret is shown as having been more in Ceirnioge Mawr - interestingly in Pentrefoelas where her only other reference of birth place has been in earl;ier census records (I think it's mispelt from the transcripts) ...

That is a fascinating -- although interestingly belated -- piece of extra info for mysterious Margaret to offer up in 1911.  (Cajondy:  Please put us all right if we are wrong to be reading "more" as "born" in your Reply 22!)  Was it genuinely a truth that she had always known,  but had previously felt reluctant to admit,  or was it more new-coined than that -- and potentially mythic,  almost a case of "recovered memory syndrome",  about which she had convinced herself (and perhaps her family too)?  That's a tough call all these years later;  but what she now tells us obviously merits close attention.  The "new" birthplace has an interesting back story.

Cernioge was a big posting stage on the Holyhead Road in the early to mid 19th c.;  in that era its large grazing acreage almost ranked as a sideline when compared with the business of hiring out horses and catering to the needs of weary travellers (many en route for Dublin).  The Hussey de Burghs were probably occasionally among them.  Cernioge Mawr was sometimes styled the King's Arms Inn,  and was also the site of a tollgate.  There are many mentions of the place in the North Wales papers accessible via the Gale 19th c. British Newspaper database.  Adverts in the N. Wales Chronicle for the sale of Samuel Owen the retiring tenant's coaches,  horses,  farm stock,  wine cellar and furniture in March 1840 give some idea of the scale of the business.  My eye was caught by 1,350 sheep,  "seventy dozen of fine old port wine" -- and "an organ,  with three barrels,  by Thight and Robson"!

This is my first contribution to the Hussey de Burgh public thread.  But as I was the writer,  I hope Cajondy will not mind my now quoting an extract from a PM I sent her on the subject back on 14 December 2009 (with emphasis now added in the light of the new Cernioge information):
I must say that Pentrefoelas,  Margaret Hussey Burgh's stated place of birth,  does look strangely off the beaten track for the H de Bs of Caernarfon,  let alone for any of them still based in Ireland -- unless of course the poor mother had been abandoned by the father,  or she had quite deliberately selected (or had imposed upon her) a remote place where she was not well known for her confinement.  I suppose one could also hypothesise a premature labour at an inn,  triggered by a bumpy coach journey on the Holyhead Road.  And as we know,  the parish of birth need not be the parish of baptism . . .  Not an easy knot to untie!

But despite all the foregoing,  there is actually quite a problem with the theory that Margaret was indeed born at an inn (or in a manger just outside an inn!).  Her estimated date of birth seems to be ca. 1843.  After the old tenant held his big sale in 1840,  it is not at all clear that the owner of Cernioge Mawr house ever succeeded in re-letting it again as a proper posting inn.  It may well have declined fairly soon afterwards to the status of a tavern or shop,  with the tenants mainly reliant once more on what they could earn from farming.  Adverts in the press show that Samuel Owen re-established himself fairly promptly as an innkeeper,  at St Asaph.  But tellingly,  it seems,  the flow of adverts for auction sales to be held at the Cernioge Inn (and similar references) dried up in the newspapers.  Later in the 19th c. it was certainly just a farm again.

The 1841 census perhaps indicates a transition phase.  Margaret Jones,  55,  shop and innkeeper,  born in-county,  occupies premises seemingly named "Feather Inn Kernioge",  while the next house is called Kernioge Inn and is occupied by Mary Danlly [?sp.],  45,  housekeeper,  born out-of-county,  accompanied by three male servants (one -- significantly -- an ostler)  and by three female servants:  HO 107 1402/15 fos.12r & 12v (pp.18 & 19).

Hmmm.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 06:43 BST (UK) »

Ref. this other new info,
Lyn has some oral history passed down in the family, and it goes like this:-
"This is the story that we were told about  my grandmother's family. Count de Burgh left Russia after the assassination. He set up stables in Dublin, and his daughter 'fell' for one of the stable lads. She ... married her stable lad and was disowned. She left Dublin for Anglesey with only her silver christening presents"
these thoughts come to mind:

1.  Is Lyn able to recall whose "the assassination" was said to have been?  If in Russia,  presumably not as late as Alexander II's in 1881 (let alone his grandson's during the revolution).

2.  As the sources available online clearly show,  these Husseys and (de) Burghs had been well established in Ireland for many generations.  They had no handles to their names,  let alone being "counts".  They could in no sense have been Russian refugees in Dublin,  reduced to being ostlers or to setting up a livery business.  But . . .

3.  Wilcoxon's Reply 16 above does demonstrate how the seed could have been sown for a story linking Russia to the family branch that came to live in North Wales:  ca. 1841-42 Walter Hussey de Burgh's wife -- at the least -- was in Russia,  giving birth to her son Albert (per 1861 census).  It seems plausible that if those two were in Russia then the whole family would likely have been there too.  Intriguingly,  this is not far off the time of Margaret's mysterious birth.  Could her mother have been (say) a lady's maid who accompanied the household to Russia -- so,  despite the Cernioge/Pentrefoelas version,  giving birth to Margaret outside the UK?  That would neatly explain why the birth record is so elusive.  But the idea is rather weakened by the fact that the next Hussey de Burgh child,  Victoria,  is recorded in the census as born back in Ireland,  and only about a year later -- so the dates,  insofar as known to us,  do not really quite tie in.*

4.  It would nevertheless clearly make sense to try and discover what Walter Hussey de Burgh and his family were up to in Russia,  and (if possible) to clarify the dates of their stay.  Could he have been in the Foreign Office -- or a military attaché?  Are any passport records available?  London Gazette or other press mentions?  Was another family member living over there,  perhaps married to a Russian?  (Etc,  etc . . . )

Much to chew on.  I wish I had more time to help with the necessary mastication!

Rol

*   Added 19.09.10:  However,  Victoria's birth is not really much of a litmus test for the family's return from Russia -- especially as she was actually the child born before Albert,  and the child after him (Fanny) did not come into the world until three years later (see Wilcoxon's summary of the 1861 census entry in Reply 16).  The Irish press (via Gale) provides a much better way of showing that the Hussey de Burghs were probably back in Ireland by early 1843:

15 March 1843 -- Freeman's Journal,  Dublin:

Walter Hussey Burgh among those sworn onto the Co Kildare grand jury at Naas on 12 March.

25 Sept. 1843 -- Freeman's Journal,  Dublin:

"Mr. W.  Hussey Burgh and family"  among those reported to be staying at hotels near the Killarney Lakes.

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
This one is definitely going to send me to an early grave - most frustrating!

Thanks to you both for your replies
Yes, Rol - it should say "born" - not "more" - that message was typed on my iphone and no spell (or sense!) check available

Loads of things for me now to look in to, sadly, will have to wait for my next "break" from work (not lilkely to be some months!) - but as this has waited this long, I'm sure a few months more won't hurt....

I may pop in to the records office (I'm guessing there's one nearby to Pentrevoilas??) on my way back down to the south on Thursday

thanks once again for all the different directions to look in to.... Will I EVER get to the bottom of this one I ask myself (out loud, obviously!)

Any help - as always - hugely appreciated
Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland