Author Topic: Zulu War  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zulu War
« on: Sunday 05 October 08 18:41 BST (UK) »
I believe I have a relative who fought in the Zulu War.

Joseph Leonard Dobson born 1858 Hungerford Berks.

He joined the King's Own Royal Regiment and served between 1875 and 1884.

He was a Private and his number was 1636.

Served in Ireland, Aldershot and Portsmouth.

Active service at Inholabana Hill, Kambula, Ulundi and Manyanyoba's Cove.

Can someone tell me if he would have received a medal and where I can find a picture of it.

I think he left the army in 1884,

Very grateful for any help as I have lost my notes,
Thank you,
Abiam

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Zulu War
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 October 08 19:07 BST (UK) »
Assuming he is indeed confirmed on the medal roll, then this is the medal he would have received:
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/zulu/south_africa_zulu_medal_1877_79.htm

I'll check the roll for you.
Edit - yep, he's listed. 1636 Pte Dobson  :)
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Neil.  Very helpful link,
Regards,
abiam

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:15 BST (UK) »
Abiam,

To have been in 4th Foot and have been present at the actions you have given Hlobane; Khambula; Ulundi & Manyanyoba's Cave, your relative would have to have been serving in No. 1 Squadron, Imperial Mounted Infantry.

The 4th supplied replacements to the squadron in late January/early February 1879 to replace the casualties from the Battle of Isandlwana.

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Isandlwana,
I have searched high and low and found the notes made by a relative a couple of years ago!  I believe this information came from the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum and it says he was in the 2nd Battalion of the KORR.  If he wasn't in the places I detailed is there any possibility you can tell me where he was?
Thanks for your interest,
Abiam

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
Abiam,

I'm away for my records until this evening, but off the top of my head the 2nd/4th were used 'Lines-of-Communication' troops for the initial part of the Zulu War.  They protected the supply corridor which went between Greytown-Helpmekaar, and on to Rorke's Drift.  Elements of the 2nd/4th were on the march to Helpmekaar on 22nd January 1879 to take up this duty, when the Zulus attacked the camp at Isandlwana.

After this the battalion was employed on defensive positions on the Natal/Zulu frontier.

They were involved in mopping-up operations in September 1879 against Manyanyoba's people on the Zulu/Transvaal border, including the dynamiting of his cave system.

To the best of my recollection only those on detached duties from the 2nd/4th to both No. 1 & No. 2 Squadrons, IMI fought at any of the major actions of the Zulu War.

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 October 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Abiam,

Now at home with my references.

The 2nd Battalion, 4th (King's Own Royal) Regiment was stationed in Aldershot when in the first week of December 1878 when it received orders for active service in Natal Colony, South Africa.  The battalion embarked on the hired transports "Dunrobin Castle" & "Teuton" and arrived in Natal in mid-January.  They marched from Pietermaritzburg to Helpmekaar where they joined the laagered camp after Isandlwana.

The battalion later moved from Helpmekaar to the Utrecht area where detachments were posted to other laagers and forts on the lines-of-communication.

As previously stated a number of the 2nd/4th were involved in blowing-up a Zulu position, during a skirmish with the enemy the RSM and a Corporal were killed.

On 8th February 1880, with the exception of two companies the battalion embarked for Bombay.

Source: 'The South African Campaign of 1879' by Mackinnon & Shadbolt, published 1880.

Isandlwana

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 October 08 22:11 BST (UK) »
Isandlwana,

Thank you very much for sorting my Grandfather's service in the army.  Having heard family stories I think there was a bit of 'embroidery' probably on his part as I believe he had quite an imagination!  I was told that he was injured in the fighting but it was found out that he was not named as injured.

Thanks again for your time,
Regards,
Abiam