Author Topic: High Roding / Roothing Parish - Bap & Marriage  (Read 1914 times)

Offline mallard45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
High Roding / Roothing Parish - Bap & Marriage
« on: Sunday 05 October 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am interest in the Hartgrove/Hartgroves from  the Parish of High Roding / High Roothing in Essex prior to 1840.

In particular I am interested in the Marriage of James Hartgroves born abt 1769.

And the Baptism of James Hartgroves born abt 1795 possibly son of the above James.

Many thanks

Offline Dawn Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: High Roding / Roothing Parish - Bap & Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mallard45 I have just seen your interest in Hartgroves from High Rodding I would be interested if any connection to Richard Hartgroves born in High Roding 1824 had an incapacitated arm widowed with 8 children 7 lived one Sarah 1864 a tailoress another was Kezia 1873 married to James Gotts they had a daughter also Kezia Gotts 1894 (my grandmother) she married my Grandfather Benjamin Howell.  I have a history of the Gotts side but would like a history of the Hartgroves as I find there is a crest for Hartgroves would be interesting to know where Hartgroves goes back to

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I can find is on Boyds Marriage Index

James Hartgrove married Mary Hasler 1769 High Roding.

No other details. Could this be your James's parents?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look through the High Roding parish registers (see below) and could only find one marriage, the one in 1769 already mentioned by emeltom. There were banns read about 1800/1801 for a Thomas Crush & Mary Hartgrove but no marriage was recorded. There was a marriage for Thomas Crush in 1802 which may, or may not, be the same Thomas.

I couldn't find a baptism for James about 1796, despite the census references to the birth date and place of High Roding. So there's no obvious connection to James baptised in 1769 to James and Mary.

On the 1841 census there's a William and Ann Hartgroves, living in High Roding, and they appear to have died in High Roding. If this William is the same William that was baptised in 1782 to James & Mary and subsequently married in Willinggale Doe in 1807 to Ann Wheale, it may be worth looking into this to see if the family moved to Willinggale Doe.

NB: It's quite possible that I've accidentally missed from parish records for the family, so I'd suggest double checking these yourself.

Marriages (High Roding):
14 Oct 1769
James Hartgrove (x) of Athrop Roding
Mary Hasler (x) otp
wit: Joseph Dean, Henry Lake; banns (published in each [?] parish)

Thomas Crush [?]
Mary Hartgrove
banns [published between 28 Apr 1800 and 27 Oct 1801; no marriage]

29 Jun 1802
Thomas Crush (x) bach otp
Ann Cliff [?] (x) spin otp
wit: Ann Eastham [?], William Crush (x)
banns: 13, 20, 27 Jun

[Is this the same Thomas Crush as above, marrying someone else? If so what happened to Mary?]

Marriages (Broxted):
14 Jun 1816
James Hartgrove (x) bach otp
Rebecca Baker (x) spin otp
wit: James Baker, Mary Baker (x); banns

Baptisms (Broxted):
31 Jul 1796 Ribbea [?]    Baker      parents: Thomas & Sarah
17 Nov 1816 Thomas Hartgrove      parents: James & Rebecca      of Broxted, labourer

Baptisms (High Roding):
31 Dec 1769 James Hargrove      parents: James & Mary
19 Sep 1773 John Hargrove         parents: James & Mary
23 Apr 1775 Thomas Hardgrove      parents: James & Mary
02 Jun 1782 William Hargrov      parents: James & Mary

18 Apr 1819 Thomas Baker [?] Hardgrove      parents: James & Rebecca      of High Roding, labourer
09 Dec 1821 Mary Hardgrove      parents: James & Rebecca      of High Roding, labourer
06 Jun 1824 Judith Hardgrove      parents: James & Rebeckah      of High Roding, labourer
20 Dec 1826 Keziah [?] Hardgrove   parents: James & Rebecca      of High Roding, labourer
08 Aug 1830 Martha Hardgroove      parents: James & Rebecca      of High Roding, labourer
05 Jan 1834 Richard Hardgrove      parents: James & Rebecca      of High Roding, labourer
30 Jul 1837 John Hartgrove         parents: James & Rebecca      of High Roding, labourer

Burials (High Roding):
04 May 1806 Mary Hardgrove
13 Sep 1818 Thomas Hardgrove      of High Roding         age: 1
16 Feb 1839 William Hartgrove      of High Roding         age: 25 years
06 Dec 1844 Ann Hardgrove      of High Roding         age: 60
04 Jul 1860 William Hartgrove      of High Roding         age: 79 years
21 Jun 1876 Rebecca Hartgroves      of High Roding         age: 80
16 Apr 1879 James Hartgroves      of High Roding         age: 83

Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline mallard45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks Dawn for replying and to all the others with all the info.

I am a Hartgrove and hail from Northampton.  I have been researching my tree for around 10 years with a particular interest (some may say obsessive) in locating and placing all those with the surname Hartgrove(s).  As a result I have a huge tree that ends with James Hartgrove and Mary Hasler who were married in High Roding, Essex in 1769.

I think your Richard is the son of James (B1795 H Roding) and Rebecca Baker  and this James is  the son of James (b 1769 H Roding) the son of James and Mary Hasler.

Looking at my message from 2008, the brickwall with James and Mary Hasler still remains some 9 years later and so far no one I have been in contact with can help.

I think that James Hartgrove may have been from Aythorpe Roding as his marriage states this yet I can find no evidence in the Parish registers.  There are some other Hartgrove's I've come across recently in Little Easton but have yet to research this through SEAX.

I would be happy to share my info with you - are you on Ancestry ?

regards

Rachel

Offline Dawn Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: High Roding / Roothing Parish - Bap & Marriage Kezia Hartgroves
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Reply to cuffie81 Just picked up again on looking up ancesters I have discovered some info on Kezia Hartgroves which has ? born 20/12/1830 of James and Rebecca Hartgroves.  Kezia married Robert Banks and moved to Wabaunsee Kansas USA They had 3 children Julia K 1851 to 1894 William Robert 1852 to 1939 James Henry 1855 to 1952 Robert Banks built the first church in Wabaunsee from limestone called the Beecher Bible and Rifle Church this info came from Wikipedia.  Kezia's brother Richard Hartgroves would be my great great grandfather.  He named his daughter Kezia born 1873 one of 8 children and she also called her daughter Kezia born 1894 only child my grandmother