Author Topic: James Weatherston(e)  (Read 8135 times)

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Weatherston(e)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 October 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
The 1901 one is definitely down as 48 - I've checked the page and the second digit is not like the other  5s or a 0s so he could be a number of possibles.

Possible death:

March q, 1915, Preston, vol 8e p 825 - aged 55  - thus b. circa 1860

The official traces left don't help, do they  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dewdrop29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 October 08 09:47 BST (UK) »
I have just been trying to get my head round the info all of you have found for which I thank you all for searching and helping to solve things :)

He did marry an Elizabeth Ralph in 1883 and his father's name was John.  The eldest son was also called John and went on to have 5 further children.

The 1881 Scotland Census details are possibly not him as it clearly states that when he joined the police in Preston he was a mason and cant see how he would fit that in if he was already a policeman!

Thank you for finding him in the 1901 England Census as have been looking for him!  Found his family but he wasn't there.  Wonder why he was boarding elswhere?!

dewdrop29

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 October 08 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi dewdrop  :)

What occupation did it give for his father on the marriage cert?

Unfortunately there are now at least two possibles with a father John - the Westruther one and the Coldstream one  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dewdrop29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 October 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
So sorry for not replying sooner but not had time to get back onto computer until now :)

James' father was a dairyman and James was 25 when he married which puts his birth year about 1857/58.  With this info is it possible to find him and his family in the Scotland Census of 1861, 1871 and possibly 1881?

Many thanks

dewdrop29 :D

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 October 08 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi dd29,

There's three births in Berwickshire for James Weathers[t]ons, with father John.

James Weatherson, b. 1859 Coldstream - mother Margaret Watson (likely died young)
James Weatherson, b. 1864 Coldstream - mother Margaret Watson
James Weatherston, b. 1864 Westruther - mother Christina Fairbairn

Other possible is he was illegitimate and Weathers[t]on[e] was his father's name.

hume24

Offline dewdrop29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 October 08 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi hume24

Thank you for the information you have found.  I will look at what you have found and see if i can ascertain which is the correct mother if any of them are! :-\

As he's been so elusive, illegitimacy has crossed my mind. 

Will go and do some more research based on the info which has been supplied.

Thank you :)

Offline dewdrop29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 November 08 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I have used the information that has been supplied but I have been unable to establish anything further in relation to James.  I've hit the proverbial brick wall ???

I have thought that James may be his second name which he used rather than his first name or he just used the name James as he liked it and finally he was illegitimate and the father's name is there for convenience

Unless anyone else has any other ideas, the only thing is a trip up to Westruther to see if I can find anything further.

Dewdrop29

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 November 08 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I returned to this one hoping I could find something for you - unfortunately, not much! The three births I mentioned in my last message on the thread are not the correct ones. All three died in infancy and as far as I can see, none of their fathers worked as dairymen or in that trade. Speaking of John, did the death certificate mention whether he was deceased by 1883? People were not always truthful on the certificates, but if we could find a death, it may give you a lead. :-\

Can't see anything on the census either.

hume24

Offline dewdrop29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 November 08 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hume 24

I do have James' death Cert.  He died on 14 Jan 1915 in Preston, Lancashire.  it says he was 55 years old which would put his d.o.b c1860.

I have him on the 1891 and 1901 Census living in Preston but it's a mystery where he was before then  ???

Apart from the information on his marriage and Death certs plus the censuses and the information supplied when he joined the police in Preston in 1882 which shows he was 24 and previously a stone mason before signing up and from Wishruther - that  is what is written as would have sounded like that - but would be Westruther, I do not have any idea where to look next :-\

Dewdrop29