Author Topic: scamp family  (Read 36258 times)

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: scamp family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 December 12 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Roger Baker did most of the work on the SCAMP family although I had to check the information for my own database. There is a word limit on this website so if you would like me to add more to the following, which are just the Kentish SCAMP baptisms, please let me know. I indicate when I could not find something or where I have not yet checked by using this symbol [Ø]

E.KT Alkham [not bapt there] b1864 Sidney s/o Riley/Sarah [Reg Dec 1864 Dover]

E.KT Ash St Nicholas (by Sandwich) pbp16/1/1836 Cephry d/o Gilderoy/Catherine [née HILDEN] trav’g knf.gr of A

W.KT Aylesford bp26/2/1882 (b18/2) Sarah Mizella d/o William/Louisa, gipsy of A

E.KT Barham bp19/2/1862 Mizella d/o Riley/Sarah [Ø]

KT.BX Belvedere St Augustine bp9/2/1919 Lily May d/o Oliver/Mary, lab of East Road

KT.BX Belvedere St Augustine bp3/12/1916 Sylvester s/o Oliver/Mary, lab of 112, East Rd

KT.BX Belvedere St Augustine bp15/5/1938 (b19/4) James Riley s/o James Riley/Johanna, hkr of 30, New Road

KT.BX Bexley St Mary bp8/7/1724 Susanna d/o George/Sarah, of Newington nr South..?

E.KT Biddenden bp13/6/1954 (b26/3/1953) Caroline d/o Henry/Caroline, fm.foreman of Goldwell Farm

E.KT Biddenden bp13/6/1954 (b25/8/1950) Jack Frank s/o Henry/Caroline, fm.foreman of Goldwell Farm

E.KT Birchington bp14/6/1812 Gildroy s/o Samson/Celia (noi)

E.KT Boughton under Blean SS Peter & Paul bp8/12/1889 [b14/11] Ada Florence d/o William/Emma Mary Ann [née SMITH] lab of Woodsgate Dunkirk

E.KT Boughton under Blean SS Peter & Paul bp25/10/1891 (b15/7) Rose Leander d/o William James/Emma Mary Anne, lab of Colonel’s Lane

E.KT Boughton under Blean St Barnabas bp21/5/1939 Thomas Henry s/o Charles/Mary, ‘from March End’ of Bushy Close

E.KT Buckland St Andrew (by Dover) bp19/3/1775 Barnet s/o William/Mary (noi) [SKEMP sic]

E.KT Buckland (by Dover) bp30/5/1896 Ethel Ann d/o William James/Emma Mary Ann (noi) [SKEMP sic]

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp21/1/1900 Louisa Sarah d/o Samuel/Louisa, fish.hkr of 15, Church lane

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp3/11/1900 Faith Amelia Kathleen d/o -/Isabella, of 19, Knotts Lane

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp19/10/1902 Rose Anna d/o John Walter/Ruth [née CORK] lab of 15, Carpenter Cottage

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp17/4/1904 John Charles s/o John William/Ruth, lab of Carpenter’s Cottage

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp1/10/1905 Louisa Elizabeth d/o John William/Ruth, lab of New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp2/12/1906 Elizabeth d/o John William/Ruth, lab of 43, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp7/2/1909 Charles Horace s/o John/Ruth, lab of 22, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp6/9/1911 Horace James s/o John William/Ruth, lab of 22, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp16/5/1915 Joseph George s/o John William/Ruth, lab of 20, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp2/7/1916 Eva Ruth d/o John William/Ruth, lab of 20, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp5/10/1919 Horace William s/o Horace/Rose, dlr of 39, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp12/10/1919 William Alfred Nelson s/o John William/Ruth, lab of 20, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp30/1/1921 Christina Evelyn d/o Horace/Rose [née COATES] dlr of 45, New Ruttington Lane, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp10/7/1921 Charles s/o Charles/Jane [née BOWMAN], lab of 7, Victoria Road, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp22/10/1922 Susie May d/o John William/Ruth, lab of 20, New Ruttington Lane, C.

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp5/4/1925 Rhoda Keziah Kathleen d/o Horace/Rose, hrs.dlr of 45, New Ruttington Lane C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp29/9/1929 Derrick Charles s/o Horace/Rose, lab of 45, New Ruttington Lane C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp15/12/1929 Ronald Martin s/o Charles/Jane, lab of 7, Victoria Row, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp5/1/1936 Joyce Priscilla d/o Joseph George/Priscilla, lab, 56, Whitstable Road

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp2/2/1936 Patricia Jean d/o Charles/Jane, lab of 7, Victoria Row, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp16/2/1936 John Richard Charles s/o Charles Horace/Kathleen Frances, fm.lab of 6, Havelock Street, C

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp17/10/1937 (b27/9) Carol Ann d/o Horace James/Amy May, drayman of 34, Union St

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp13/11/1938 Peter James s/o Horace James/Amy May, drayman of 34, Union St

E.KT Canterbury St Gregory bp2/6/1940 David Nelson s/o Horace James/Amy May, lorry driver of 34, Union St

E.KT Canterbury St Martin bp24/4/1831 William s/o John/Grace, trav’g brazier Fordwich Lane

TL

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
hi.
been doing some research on the Lee/Emmett family and bumped into a Scamp in Boothill Cemy Chartham nr Canterbury and he showed me some Graves one was for a Lousia Scamp who married a James Lee early 1900's he told me that some of the Scamps had married with the Costa/Rossiter/Botton/Smith Families in and around Kent & Sussex in the 1800's & 1900's but you may already know this if not i hope it is helpful.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 December 12 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully someone will pick this up. I requested a birth certificate of my great grandmothers brother Eddie Lee and found that his mother was Sabina Scamp. The only Sabina Scamp I can find was born in 1892, Seasalter Kent which sounds about right.. except it would make her 14 when she had her son.

So far I have found out that Sabina's parents were George Scamp b. 1872 Canterbury and Isabella. George's parents were Samson/Samuel and Faith.

Roger Baker's "The Family Tree of Sampson and Celia SCAMP" shows a George baptised to Sampson and Faith in Canterbury 1st April 1872 - but it also shows this George dying in Eastry in 1874.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Kaela90,

Have you seen the articles about Scamps on gypsygenealogy.com?

They may help you with the wider Scamp family.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline horsesmad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 June 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
 :)hi all
does anyone have a Clara scamp born around 1873 Kent, if i am correct she married Leonard lee born 1870 kent, they married in 1891 cranbrook kent. it seems in 1911 changed his name to George lee.
children are
maria lee 1895 Kent
louisa lee 1897 Kent
lena lee 1901 uxbridge
walter lee 1906 uxbridge
any info greatly appreciated :) :)
lee canningtown
Scott mitchim
Taylor
Lawrence middlesex
Hilton
castle

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
i have a clara scamp born 1857
 SCAMP, Clara Matthews

b. 1857
Ramsgate, Kent, England
e. Census
Folkestone, Kent, England
m. SCAMP, Gilderoy
Elham, Kent.

SCAMP, Gilderoy
b.  1881
Folkestone, Kent, England.

SCAMP, George
b.  1883

SCAMP, Ernest
b.  1885

SCAMP, Sidney
b.  1889

SCAMP, Ada
b.  1891

SCAMP, Soloman
b.  1893

birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline andyjohnw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
@nelwild Just seen an old post from you regarding the Gambrill Oyster fisherman from Whitstable. These would be my great and great-great grandparents. My grandmother is still alive and is a wealth of information if you want more info.

Andy
Webb
Gambrill
Arnold

Offline rachelwilsdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 May 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all, since my last post I have done more research on my great great grandmother.

It turns out that Clara's mother was Esther Scamp, and gave birth to Clara when she was 18, only to die of TB 2 years later, at 20 Knott's Lane, Canterbury. 

There is not father listed on the birth certificate.

Whilst doing this I found that 2 of Esther's brothers were killed in the First World War, one killed on the 20.10.1914 who has no know grave, but the second is more intriguing.

Samuel Scamp is buried in Canterbury Cemetery, having died in March 1915 but he was dismissed out of the army in the February before, but he has a CWGC headstone, I can't however find out the reason behind his death does anyone have any ideas?

Kindest regards to all my distant relatives xx       

Offline Dabbottbrunsdon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 20:42 GMT (UK) »
My Nan was Isabella scamp and she had my dad in 1933 Leonard George scamp
I have family in Kent