Author Topic: scamp family  (Read 36255 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: scamp family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all, since my last post I have done more research on my great great grandmother.

It turns out that Clara's mother was Esther Scamp, and gave birth to Clara when she was 18, only to die of TB 2 years later, at 20 Knott's Lane, Canterbury. 

There is not father listed on the birth certificate.

Whilst doing this I found that 2 of Esther's brothers were killed in the First World War, one killed on the 20.10.1914 who has no know grave, but the second is more intriguing.

Samuel Scamp is buried in Canterbury Cemetery, having died in March 1915 but he was dismissed out of the army in the February before, but he has a CWGC headstone, I can't however find out the reason behind his death does anyone have any ideas?

Kindest regards to all my distant relatives xx       

You would need to purchase Samuel Scamp's death certificate but I would be willing to guess that he died of war related injury (I would say possibly he contracted TB?? Did Esther Scamp live with him at all when he came home from WW1?). Why I say this a member of my family (Not a Scamp) was honoured with a WW1 CWWG he died of TB confirmed that he was infected with in the trenches in WW1.

The two brothers you speak of:

Private Alfred Riley Scamp Date of Birth: 1885 – Date of Death: 20/10/1914
British Army, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), Service #L/8117, Faith Scamp nee Gambrill and Samuel Scamp

Private Samuel Scamp Date of Birth c 1877 - Date of Death: 20/03/195
British Army 4th Bn, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment, Service Number 2946, Faith Scamp nee Gambrill and Samuel Scamp of 49, Knott's Lane, Canterbury

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 07:29 BST (UK) »
Nel ...going round and round in circles with this family   :P

no luck with 1881 or 1871 yet.... but I have found Faith Scamp nee Gaines/Gambrill/Ganges

Albion Place, Herne
John GAINS head unm 29 Tinman b Unknown
Elizabeth GAMBRILL unm 27 housekeeper b Westwell
Amelia          "   housekeeper's daughter 8 b Canterbury
John             "       "     son  5 b Witasham?
FAITH GAMBRILL    "    daughter  2   b Herne

according to the submitted entries on IGI
Faith died  26 Oct 1929   Canterbury
 will try to find her in 1861

deb

This could be Faith Gambrill's Gro Registration
GAMBRILL, -       -     
GRO Reference: 1848  J Quarter in EAST ASHFORD KENT  Volume 05  Page 10

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Karen Fitzgerald

• RootsChat Extra
  • (Formerly on here as Karen S) Started new profile
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am working on my husbands family.  I have come across the Scamp surname but in records finding they are listed as Williams surname. Have no clue as to why that is. Here is some that I found.
 I came across my husbands family listed on the website  Romany Genes at this link: http://romanygenes.com/scamp-family/4528685510
This tells of the Lee family and that Tom Lee married Selina Scamp. Ok, so in the 1881 Census for Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales, they are listed as living with her parents Samuel Williams and Mary.  In Breconshire, Wales baptisma, 30 May 1852 is Celena Williams daughter of Samuel Williams and Piana Williams. In Beaufort, Monmouthshire, Wales is the son of Thomas Lee and Selina Lee named Seth Lee, 23 Apr 1882. The baptism of Seth Lee and wife Lucy Price is in Llangyfelach, Glamorganshire, Wales on 16 Aug 1910 named Frederick Lee.
When you look at the Romany Genes link site, they have the Lee family all coming from the Scamp surname and not Williams. Even Samuel Williams brother named Samson Williams is listed in the 1881 census in Neath, Glamorganshire, Wales as Williams. But again, on  the site he is listed as Scamp.
Researching for my mother in law: Phipps, Turner
Researching for my husband: Fitzgerald, Corr and Scanlon

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 14:41 GMT (UK) »
rachaelWilsdon.happened to one of our gt uncles he is even mentioned on the war memorial but beofore he could be posted he died of TB.Myabe something like that happene to yours?death certificate should show you
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline AMAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 June 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
:)hi all
does anyone have a Clara scamp born around 1873 Kent, if i am correct she married Leonard lee born 1870 kent, they married in 1891 cranbrook kent. it seems in 1911 changed his name to George lee.
children are
maria lee 1895 Kent
louisa lee 1897 Kent
lena lee 1901 uxbridge
walter lee 1906 uxbridge
any info greatly appreciated :) :)

Offline AMAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 June 20 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, i have just seen your post regarding Clara Matthews, she was my Grandad's sister, my Grandad being George Matthews a Banana merchant of Gillingham Kent.  I have attached a photo of Clara that i have with he eldest daughter.

Offline Sylvie m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 September 22 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi my Family are Matthews, is the George Matthews mentioned related to Matthews Fairground people

Offline Esther90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I've got a lot of family tree information on the scamp family x

Offline JP3171

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 July 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
My Grandad was Oliver Scamp who passed over on August 16th 1977,
and my Nan was Louise Scamp passed over on the 22nd September 1977,

They are both buried at Sittingbourne Cemetery, Bell Road,

My Uncle William Scamp, who we are called Uncle Mushy, passed away on June 6th 2019, is buried on top of my grandparents/his parents,

My Mum was Sylvia Clara Scamp, daughter to Oliver & Louise Scamp,

My Grandparents, had 12 Children,

Oliver Scamp - Eldest Son,
William Scamp ‘Mushy’
Henry Scamp,
Sidney Scamp ‘Monty’ we all call him by, Uncle Monty is still alive, and lives at Abbey Wood,

Annie Scamp - Eldest Daughter,
Louise Scamp,
Brittana Scamp, ‘Mary’ we all called her,  I believe was her first name was, but will check when i go to her grave, Which is in the same cemetery as my grandparents,
Aggie Scamp ‘Rita’ we all called, buried in the same cemetery,
Shirley Scamp,
Rosie Scamp, i am not sure if that was her real first name, but that is what we knew her as,
Sylvia Clara Scamp ‘My Mum’ passed over on her birthday date, 9th January 2015, she is buried at Woodland Road cemetery,
Esther Scamp, Born 24th February 1946, she passed over on the 21st November 1949, at 3 years old, She is buired at London Road cemetery, in Brentwood, i go to her grave and keep it tidy,

I am Jason, Sylvia’s oldest son,

I am interested in finding out more about the Scamp family, and find any relatives.