Author Topic: Tranent Cemetery  (Read 66090 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Cemetery
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 22 February 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder can anyone point me in the right direction please, I am trying to trace the burial site of my Grt Grt grandparents.  I know they both died in Tranent, my Grt Grt Grandfather was James Watt, Blacksmith born 1805 died 1877 and Grt Grt Grandmother was Margaret Hay born 1804 and died 1881 - according to her death certificate she died a pauper  :'( . They married Nov 1833 if that will help. 

I don't know where to start looking to find out burial sites so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hazel.

Hazel:

Could you let me know a bit more about your Margaret Hay?  I also have a Margaret Hay (1817-1887) who married Alexander MacKenzie (1815-1891).  They were married in Kilfinan, Argyll, Scotland, but I believe from what my great grandmother told me, she was born in Hopeman, Moray, Scotland.  However, my MacKenzie family was from the Tranent and North Berwick areas so I am not sure.  I am confident of the marriage date and location as Alexander was a gardener and traveled extensively.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 23 February 15 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek,

The existing Tranent Cemetery only opened 1905, so it may have been the Old Parish church, but it could be the case, there are no stone for him.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derekhendo ,

Think you hit the Report to Moderator button instead of the Reply button when thanking Tom for his reply.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 01 August 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Derek

I saw your post about your great-grandfather John Henderson being killed in a mining accidsnt in 1898.

I was just wondering if you've seen the Scottish Mining website which has an index of mining accidents.  Your great-grandfather is listed, with a description of the accident.  Just do a Google search for "Scottish Mining" and you'll find the site.

Regards

David

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 09 August 15 09:41 BST (UK) »

Peter Bryson: born 1740 Died 1819
Married to Jean Waddell Nottman born 1743 died 1819

Married 25 November 1765 at Tranent, East Lothian.

Catherine Bryson (Wife of William Hogg) born 1784 Died in 1884

Hi,
   I believe I have some family buried in the old Cemetery, Tranent Parish. The surname is Bryson. Peter would have died 1815 or earlier. Do not know who his wife was but his daughter. Catherine, married William Hogg in 1815. Any information will be appreciated
Regards,
Julia

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 09 August 15 11:42 BST (UK) »

Hi ,
       On the posting you have quoted caraid said she could find nothing on this family .

I doubt if that will have changed since then .

Jessie

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 08 November 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I am wondering if anyone can find a grave for my great aunt Noeleen Elizabeth Patterson who I think died in 1989 in Tranent.  She was in her 90's and single and I think she had lived there for some time so my feeling is that she would have been quite a local character.
If anyone can suggest where I might search for an obituary I would also be very grateful.
Thanks
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 21 December 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Peter Bryson was born in 1740. He married Jean Waddell Notman on 25 November 1765 in Tranent, East Lothian Scotland.
Their first two children were: Jean Bryson and John Bryson both born on 12 September 1766 in Tranent, East Lothian.
  Their third child was Alexander Bryson. He was born 11 April 1771 in East Lothian.
  Next came Peter Bryson junior. He was born 2 June 1778 in East Lothian.
  On 15 August 1781 they had a daughter named Isabell Bryson.
  On 24 January 1784 they had a daughter named Catharine Bryson.
  In 1787 they have a son named Archibald.
  Peter Bryson passed away in 1819 Tranent.
  I have no burial information on him.

Offline Highlande7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Could I possibly see a copy of that photo of Marion? Is it the same one used on this website? - http://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/news/mrs-formans-is-no-more/

I have an oil painting of an old lady in her 70/80's by the painter Robert Gemmell Hutchison (Mrs Formans son in law) and I am trying to rule out Mrs Marion Forman as the sitter. It might also be of her sister Margaret Bowman (Born circa 1815 in Portobello) about whom I know nothing or possibly Marion's daughter Mary born around 1836 whom I also know nothing about.

Any help would be appreciated.