Author Topic: Sacred Heart Convent, Wandsworth  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Dazee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sacred Heart Convent, Wandsworth
« on: Monday 06 October 08 08:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on the Sacred Heart Convent, Wandsworth? The Convent was open in the early 1900's although I understand it isn't there anymore.

Any help much appreciated.

Valerie5846

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: SACRED HEART CONVENT, WANDSWORTH
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 14:31 BST (UK) »
CONVENT OF THE SACRED HEART
(020) 8874 9640
34 SANTOS ROAD
LONDON
SW18 1NS

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dazee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE SACRED HEART CONVENT, WANDSWORTH
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

Valerie5846

Offline osmposm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Colonel John
    • View Profile
Re: Sacred Heart Convent, Wandsworth
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 12 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Valerie

I happened upon your request of three or four years ago for information about the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Wandsworth.

Did you find out all you needed in the end? My house overlooks its former site, and my interest in local history has led me to discover a bit about it.

The main building was built on the site of - or was an adaptation of - an old house called "The Orchard", that lay north of West Hill and east of what is now Santos Road. They seem to have bought the house and its large (for London) park in the mid-1870s - it first appears on maps as a convent in 1878. By the mid-1890s it had been much extended, and was described then (and later) as a "Training College"; it also had a school attached. The main block and school were further extended, and a large chapel was built, during the 20th Century, and the sisters also acquired a pair of houses in Santos Road (34-36), that were knocked together and used as a hostel for those at the college - there is still a doorway in the wall at the end of the garden that led into the convent's grounds.

In the mid-1970s the estate was voluntarily sold to Wandsworth Borough Council for housing development, and the current housing estate was built by WBC in phases over a number of years from 1977 (the site was being prepared when I bought my house that September). I think the main old building was taken down at that time, though the school survived for a while. It was later replaced by a new primary school (which is still there) on ground at the northern end of the former estate, on Oakhill Road.

The houses in Santos Road were retained by the Sacred Heart as a much smaller convent and hostel, along with two or three other local properties. The pair were finally sold to a property developer in 2005-6 and converted into flats, and the other properties also sold. At the time of this final sale the owner was a charitable organisation, the Trustees for the Society of the Sacred Heart of 3 Bute Gardens, Hammersmith, London W6 7DR. The Society has a long and continuing history - their website gives some history and an email address for their archivist: http://www.societysacredheart.org.uk/story-tradition.html . There is also mention of the Wandsworth Training College, which was apparently for teachers: http://www.societysacredheart.org.uk/janet-stuart-the-educator.html

Santos Road was actually - and to some extent still is - the centre of a significant local Catholic community: as well as the Convent itself, and its College, schools and hostel, the large Catholic church of St Thomas of Canterbury was built nearby on the corner of Santos Road and West Hill in 1895. As a result the street had for much of the C20th a big population of Catholics, though this has been been dropping as its long-term pre-WWII residents have died out.

Sorry if this is more than you wanted to know (or you've already found it all out!); but I am posting it on Rootschat anyway, as it may get picked up in Google searches by future researchers.

Ossie

P.S. Funnily enough I recently found an old postcard of the Convent - I'll see if I can figure out how to post an image of it. Edit: I can't at the moment, sorry!