Author Topic: Marriage look up Sheffield 1930 please  (Read 1705 times)

Offline TillyMintsMum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage look up Sheffield 1930 please
« on: Monday 06 October 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to track down the marriage of Roland (or Rowland) Kenyon to Elizabeth Joanna Burowden(?) in 1930 on 18th February. The only details I have are from a small scribble in the margin of Roland's baptism, so it's really difficult to read, I'm afraid.

It looks like either St. Weld or Vincent or maybe Wilfred. The last one may be the best place to start as I have at least confirmed that it exists and is the correct denomination (RC).

Elizabeth's surname is also difficult to read, so "Burowden" is the best guess at the moment!

Thanks very much,
Alison

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up Sheffield 1930 please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 13:46 BST (UK) »
I have checked the full GRO indexes for March quarter 1930, and also 1931, 1936, and 1939 (in case the final digit was unclear).  I can't see a Roland Kenyon (any spelling) marriage anywhere.  Do you have any other clue as to when the marriage might have been - earliest, latest likely year?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TillyMintsMum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 08 19:55 BST (UK) »
Wow, that was quick - thanks!

Roland was born on 22 October 1898, so I suppose I could have mis-read 1920. It's slightly odd that he was married in Sheffield at all as he was born in Accrington and I'm not aware of any of the family in Yorkshire.

I'm afraid I haven't got access to the original baptism record that I got this from (St. Anne's) and I wrote it down a long time ago. It might be better if I ask for a look-up on his baptism first, I suppose, in case the image available now is of a better quality.....

Thanks for trying anyway!
Alison

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
If you look on FreeBMD December quarter 1918 - you will find a marriage in Sheffield between Roland Kenyon and Eliza J SMITH or SNOWDEN. Perhaps Eliza has been married before.  Could 'Burowden' actually be 'Snowden'?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TillyMintsMum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, that sounds promising. I've obviously been taking that scribble in the margin too literally!

I will put a request in the Lancashire forum to see if I can get a better view of the info and to check whether the name could be Snowden.

Thanks again  :)
Alison