Author Topic: Anyone have access to London/Kent Kelly's directories c1910+?COMPLETE  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
Anyone have access to London/Kent Kelly's directories c1910+?COMPLETE
« on: Monday 06 October 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am looking for Kelly's directory for the years 1910-15 Mainly for the Deptford area. I am looking for 3 Doling brothers. Walter Henry Doling, William George Thomas Doling and William John Doling. I believe they were grocers, Mainly in fruit and veg. I have a photo of a shop front with the name 'Blackie' on it if that helps.

Many thanks
Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline IanPulsford

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have access to London/Kent Kelly's directories c1910+?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have some information regarding William John Doling and I understand that he had brothers named William George and also Harry/Henry James, we think among others (see below).  William John Doling was killed in an accident at Chatham dockyard circa 1905 whilst working as a riveter on HMS Shannon, a Minotaur-class ship that served at the battle of Jutland in WWI.

My link to the Dolings is via my father-in-law, Deryck Doling.  His link to William John Doling is that he was Deryck's uncle (Deryck's father was Richard Doling, there was also a sister, Vera).

Deryck is researching that part of the Doling family and, from memory (he is at my house and does not have his research notes with him) also has possible links to your great-grandfather.

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have access to London/Kent Kelly's directories c1910+?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »

My great grandfather was William George Thomas Doling born c1887/8 New Cross, Deptford.

You say William John died in 1905, it would fit him working in the dockyard (as William George did)  but i believe he was a grocer, also i was told by a relative she remembers William John and she was born in 1926, i appreciate people can get things wrong though. Could you give me more info on what you have of this family?

William had 9 siblings that i am aware of -

William John b New cross c1879/80, Alice c1881, Lily Maud 1883, Albert 1885 Walter Henry 1888, Lucy 1890, Florence May 1892, Minnie Eliza 1895 and Mabel Ada 1896 also died that year.

Their parents were William Doling and Alice Heath. Do you have this? From what i have seen your Richard may have been born in 1903 Woolwich. I also see there is a William John Doling born in Medway in the 1860's. Also a Vera born Medway 1905. I can't see that they are the same family. My Doling's originally come from Southampton.

Many regards

Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline Norm900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have access to London/Kent Kelly's directories c1910+?COMPLETE
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 23 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think the shop was a chemist, I can ask my sister she knows more.
Our grandmother was Lucy Doling, she was living in Rotherhithe up until her death.
My dad (Lucy's son) had believed the Doling's had a connection to Ireland but we never knew if that was Lucy's parents or who!
Do you have any information on that?

Regards
Norm

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 23 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norm,

Yes, Blackie was a Chemist. I have a photo of what I assume is Lucy and possibly two of her brothers, I'm not sure, standing outside. I have been trying to find a photograph of my great grandfather William George Doling for a very long time with no success. I had been in touch many years ago with relatives of your fathers sister Connie.
The Doling family I have back into the early 1700's in Romsey, Hants. The Irish comes from William and Lucy's paternal grandmothers side. Her name was Jane Carey, her father was born in Jersey to Irish parents Robert and Ann. I believe Robert came from Maryborough, Laois. He was a career soldier.

Regards,

Penninah

Offline Norm900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 March 23 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you so much Penninah, that's great.
I'll forward this to my sister, she was working on the family history a few years ago.
Connie was living in Rotherhithe too, not sure if she's still with us, haven't had a response from her in years.
Joan, the older sister died some time ago.
I'll ask my sister about photo's of William George Doling.

Best regards
Norm

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 March 23 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norm,

Do you or your sister have an Ancestry account? I can email you a link to the tree I have on there of the Doling's if you like.

Penninah

Offline Norm900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 March 23 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penninah
I did text my sister with the information you sent and she said she thought you had been in touch with each other, a year or so ago.
She will check her most recent ancestry papers to see if there's anything new for you.
I'll ask her is she has an ancestry account - Sue Gibbons. I'm her brother Pete Martin.
Sorry about the account name I used my nickname, sorry for any confusion.

All the best.
Pete

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 23 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes I have spoken with Sue! She gave me the photograph in the first place so I don't believe she has any of my great grandfather, unless she came across more photos since then.  It must have been over ten years ago since I last heard from Sue. I hope she is well.

Thanks Pete,

Penninah