Author Topic: Re Graham family - Askrigg (Swaledale) area  (Read 13542 times)

Offline flyingscottie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re Graham family - Askrigg (Swaledale) area
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 July 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
I've read with great interest the various posts regarding the Grahams' who link back to Jeffrey. My 2nd  gt gt aunt, Jane Hunter, married William Graham (bn 1801) - so it was rather nice to find others who are also related to the Askrigg Grahams'.  Thank you for your various comments and actual details. I feel my research back to Jeffrey is now correct.

I just wondered if there is any link between the Grahams in the Lake District and or through the Border Raiders, when the lowland Grahams certainly came over the border, with Jeffrey's ancestors?  I'm twice related to a Graham but this time from Midlothian!

Offline Phil Haley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi flying scottie

It seems that you and my wife share the same ancestors. My posts were made under the name Superwhite, and replies to other enquiries were shown as Phil or Phil Haley from memory.

My posts on this site date back to around 2007 or 2008, and some of the info given is a little out of date.  Whilst my Genes Reunited tree is still around (I think!) I have not updated for many years. I moved the whole tree over to Ancestry.co.uk. and that is a lot more detailed. If you have access to Ancestry I'll be glad to see you there!

To go back to your query,  so far I have not found any connections with the Border Reivers etc. There may well be one, I just haven't found it!

Regards

Superwhite

Offline flyingscottie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Superwhite,

Thank you for your kind email and offer of being able to look at your tree on Ancestry.

Like yourself, I have left trees on Genes Reunited which are out of date and possibly now incorrect in some places. I haven't up loaded my 'Hunter' tree to Ancestry but those I have on there, I have made private simply because people will copy information without validating it even if I have made a wrong assumption myself!

I recently contacted the Swaledale Museum in Reeth. We visited this lovely little museum at least 8 years ago and I know I saw a framed sampler/embroidery with the names Jane Hunter and William Graham highlighted with in the embroidery. Even then I wondered if it was a relation but I had yet to tackle the records office at Northallerton! The curator responded that they didn't have anything like that in their collection. Perhaps it had been on loan at the time we saw it and hopefully it still belongs to someone locally who may be a distant relative?!

If I may, I would like to look at your tree relating to the Grahams' on Ancestry and I am willing to clarify the Hunter connection if you so wish.

With very kind regards

Flyingscottie 

Offline Denise Precious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
I have just done my DNA and just received my results through Ancestry.com I have received 272 pages of 2nd & 3rd & 4th & distant cousins. How exciting! I have just found out that I am  55% Great Britain, 22% Irish, 11% Scandinavia, 5% Europe West, 5% Europe East, 1% Finland/North West Russia, 1% West Asia - Caucasus. Very interesting! I have already followed up on two cousins and hoping in the coming weeks I am able to receive more information on my family tree. I am very curious to see if the Graham family of Askrigg is related to The Graham of Montrose.

Offline Denise Precious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 01:55 BST (UK) »
My DNA update (previous results was an estimate)

England, Wales, Northwestern Europe 74%
Ireland & Scotland 17%
Norway 6%
Sweden 3%

Migrations North England & the Midlands (Yorkshire & Pennines)