Author Topic: Completed. Framesmith & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris  (Read 18392 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Devon & Paris
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, seen the later census.    Can't find him in 1841 though.  Thanks - will look into convicts!  This a friend's family not mine - pity.  I could do with some interesting ancestors.
Andrea

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Devon & Paris
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 October 08 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

I got the following back from Gillian Kelly of the ASLC.

"I have William Hammersley on my files.  Benjamin hammersley and his wife
AnnRagsdale were incalais very early - by 1825 at least when son. Joseph was
born.  Benjamin died 2 June 1830 while living at rue de la Mer. In 1841 Ann
is on the Calais census with William and Joseph - Ann is described as a lace
worker but also as widow Grundy - so I assume she married again after
Benjamin died and was again widowed.

Ann Ragsdale was the daughter of Joshua Ragsdale and Susanna? - Ann had a
sister Suzanne who married Thomas Austin who was also in Calais by 1825. He
belonged to a large and dominant family in Calais .  Thomas was a cafetiere.
I have a lot of information on this family if your contact is interested.

The term - ticket of leave' refers to a convict.  Many,many of the convicts
who arrived were good people and their employers applied for them to have
tickets-of-leave.  This entitled the convict to live the life of a free man
and earn hisownliving, marry without permission etc, providing he remained
in a specified district, or notified the authorities if he moved.

The Fairlie did a convict run to Sydney in 1834   William James hammersley
had a brother Benjamin but he was too young to be on the Fairlie in 1834.
I am now very curious to know who he was!"

This might explain the 1841 census. Hope it is useful to you.

ATB - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 October 08 08:47 BST (UK) »
Goodness - what a marvellous amount of information.   My friend will be thrilled.  Thanks you so much for all your efforts.  I will contact Gillian.
Andrea

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 October 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Your welcome. I managed to grab a couple of hours in Leicester Records office yesterday and I found Isaac and Sarah's daughter Ann's birth record 11/2/1812 for Shepshed Particular Baptist Church. I hadn't found it on the IGI because it had been mis-transcribed as Waner instead of Warner. So this tells me they were still in Shepshed in 1812 but as the next child William 1814 is not listed then I think they were in Loughborough by 1814. Unfortunately a lot of the Loughborough particular baptist records are missing for this date.

I must admit to being puzzled. Leicesters records office don't have Marriage records for Shepshed  PB (only 1861 to 1871). However the IGI does have this information and it is also batch information from Film. Yet the information says "Katholische Kirche. Königliche Kapelle Danzig".

ATB - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 October 08 11:58 BST (UK) »
I am afraid the workings of the IGI are a mystery to us all.  They can be completely up the creek with that sort of thing.     
Andrea

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 October 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
General,

A lead has come up that puts Isaac and some of his family in Pennsylvania in 1850. I therefore think this thread should be closed. I will start a new one for the other questions that are not yet answered.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Framesmiths1816

Offline MikeG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Completed*Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 December 08 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I've only just joined Rootschat, having stumbled across a posting of yours whilst googling, so I haven't read all the postings about framesmiths.  I may be able to fill in a few bits & bobs and exchange information about my own ancestors.

John QUAIL was my gx4 grandfather and was a framesmith.  He was born in Hinckley, Leics, in 1802 and married Ann GOVIER in Tiverton in 1821.  I am not sure whether or not he was part of the Loughborough to Tiverton exodus - he may have made the journey later.  He does not appear in the company records of Heathcoat, and so I surmise that he was a journeyman.

John QUAIL's parents were John QUAIL and Rebecca THORNELOE.  John QUAIL senior was born in Snarestone and was a member of the Baptist church.  His parents were Edward QUAIL and Elizabeth BREWIN of Coleorton.

The Dianne Birks reference is "Lace and Luddism – The Loughborough Exodus of 1816" - Dianne Birks.  University of Leicester, 1994.  I read a copy some years ago in the library of the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society.  From memory, I think it was filed under village information - Loughborough, but I may be wrong.

The information about John Heathcoat going to France is recorded in the W Gore Allen book "John Heathcoat and his heritage".  I'm reading it at the moment, and a very interesting read it is.

A list of the known original workforce that went from Loughborough, Leicestershire to Tiverton is given in:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/Oram/loughlist

You probably know much of the above, but I hope there's something of interest there.

Best wishes,

Mike

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Completed*Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 December 08 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for you contact and information. I am away from home at the moment, so I do not have access to all my information. However from memory here are a couple of names that might be of interest to you.

Seek out a connection with Ambrose Brewin. There are two, father and son. If I rememebr correctly Ambrose married one of John Heathcote's daughters (possibly Caroline). They were from Leicestershire and settled in Tiverton. Ambrose became John Heathcote's Mill manager in Tiverton. Source of information William Felkin 1867 "History of machine made hosiery and Lace Manufacturers"

I also have Brewin's marrying Warner's in Leicester so there maybe another connection. As I say this is off the top of my head so I appologise if I have any information down incorrectly.

I shall seek out you Gore ref' the Heathcote and France.

All the best - Mark

PS, There are a number of threads on Roots chat about my family and Lace Manufacturer including Isaac's brother John who was in Derby, Leicester, Nottingham and Manchester. You might find some of the information interesting as they are littered with may source information and links that could also be applicable to your own family.

Offline MikeG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 December 08 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  You're right about it being Caroline Heathcoat who married Ambrose Brewin.  I haven't yet managed to work out whether the Ambrose Brewins are part of my Brewin family.  It seems likely, but Brewin is quite a common name in Leicestershire.  Mine are from Ravenstone and Leicester Forest East.  The LFE side were licenced victuallers at the Red Cow (which is still there by that name today) in the 19th century.  There is some indication that back in the 18th century, some of the Brewin family had a bit of money behind them (unlike most of my lot !)

I'll have a look through the postings as you suggest.

Best wishes,

Mike