Author Topic: Birmingham, Warwecikshire, Eng. Clarkes  (Read 5737 times)

Offline donjclarke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birmingham, Warwecikshire, Eng. Clarkes
« on: Wednesday 08 October 08 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Anyone doing research on the Clarke's, In Birmingham around 1885-90? Looking for Mary Ann Clarke, who gave her address as 6 Bishop Street, St. Martins, Birmingham, Warwick. May have had George Frederick Clarke around 1886.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DC

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham, Warwecikshire, Eng. Clarkes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi DC
Welcome to rootschat.  There is a birth registration for George Frederick Clarke in Birmingham  1886 Apr/Jun 6d 102 but the only way to be sure of parentage is to get the certificate.  I cannot see a George with mother Mary on her own in 1891.  Was she married or is this her maiden name?  What document do you have that shows her address in Birmingham?
Andrea

Offline donjclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
I have a birth certificate of George Frederick Clarke, born on 04 May 1886, with only his mother's name on it, which has the address of 06 Bishop Street on it.
I also have a marriage certificate of George, married in 1910, San Diego, California, in which he lists Albert Edward Clarke as the father and Mary Jeans as the mother. I have looked for Albert Edward married to Mary Jeans in the 1881 and 1891 censuses but can't find them. A friend found a death of Mary Ann Clarke in 1887, so I'm thinking that maybe he was raised by brother, uncle, aunt, or whatever, but haven't found anything yet. Any help or assistance you can or might offer is greatly appreciated.
Don

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
If that particular birth cert does not have a father's name on then it may be that he is illegitimate which would not fit with the information on his marriage certificate.  We would normally expect to see both parents named - or at least a note to say father was deceased.  Maybe it is the wrong certificate?  There was another birth in Aston which is very close to Birminham.  Did you buy it or was it passed through the family?   When did George go out to America?   The shipping records may help.  How old was he at marriage and at death?
Andrea

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 17:14 BST (UK) »
There's a Mary A. Clark living on Bishop Street in 1881 - aged 15, parents John Clark and Ann, youngest brother Edwin aged 5.
It's also possible that "Albert Edward Clarke" is the name of Mary's father or brother if he was raised by family.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 17:17 BST (UK) »
Well spotted!   I was getting lost in the number of Clark/Clarkes in 1891.  However, to make up the name Mary Jeans seems a bit odd. 
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 17:19 BST (UK) »
He does not seem to be with them in 1891 though.
Andrea

Offline donjclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
In regards to George's birth certificate. After he left England, he came to USA, got married, and then enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Forces for WWI. At his induction, or attestation, he stated that he was born in Birmingham, England on 04 May 1886. He also stated that Olga, his wife, was his next of kin. So even though the birth certificate was not passed down, but purchased almost 50 years ago, I believe that he is the one listed on that birth certificate, not the one in Aston. To have a baby, born on the same day, in the same year, in the same city and country I think is pretty unlikely.
But I must confess, my main goal is to find his mother!!! If she died soon after his birth, where else might his name appear so that we could trace it? I have a letter that states he was in the Royal Navy from 16 March 1903 until 12 November 1905. I also have his Official Number in that service. But I don't have any info concerning his family in England. My fondest hope is that we can together arrive at some conclusion about his family and move on.Again, Thanks for your time and effort.
Don

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 October 08 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
It might be worth contacting the Record Office at Kew to get his naval records.  As you have his number it should not be too difficult.  I did wonder whether John and Ann had an elder son Albert who married a Mary Jeans.  She would then be Mary Clark and could have had the baby at their home.  Cannot find a marriage though.
Andrea