Author Topic: Looking for Nathaniel Calverley  (Read 7069 times)

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Nathaniel Calverley
« on: Wednesday 08 October 08 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hello West Yorkshire,
Having successfully traced my family back into West Yorkshire (Mickley, Spofforth, Hampthwaite) I arrive at Nathaniel Calverley. He died 1712 (no age given) and he married twice. He was born in Skipton and I think he may have married his 1st wife Anne in Skipton before leaving to live in Hampthwaite.

Me thinks he may have married Anne in 1660s and - by way of a rough guess - was born very circa 1640ish.

Does anyone know if there are parish records available for the 1600s and if so where I may be able to locate them (to view or buy if on fiche/CD).

I have had great success with Hampthwaite and Mickly/Kirkby Malzeard. The Calverley line is full of information but much is confusing and possibly inaccurate ??? - so I am trying to follow a well researched paper/fiche trail before I take too much for granted. :-\

Many thanks for any tips that may be forthcoming  :)  - Angela
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline sonstar

• RootsChat Member
  • Sonia Constant (nee Bentley)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Nathaniel Calverley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
I have found a member tree match on ancestry -  ???

I think it sounds promising although only one marraige logged:

Nathaniel Calverley
B 1647 Swinton, Yorkshire
D 1712 Hampthwaite, Yorkshire

M 5 May 1675  Age: 28 to Jane Wells Born 1654 and died 1717 Hampthwaite.

parents - William Calverley 1608 - 1669
Anne (died 1672

Jane wells and Nathaniel had a son - William Calverley b 1685 hampthwaite
the son married but unknown to who and they had a son also called William calverley b 1724.
]

Going the other way

- the father William Calverley  was born 1608 in Ripley and died 1669 Pannal.

Parents - William Calverley b. 1573 / d. 1632 & Elizabeth Cryer b. / d. 1632

Hope this helps...

Sonia
Bentley
Williams
Bootle
Birkenhead
baildon
New Zealand

Offline sonstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
some parish record information:

Yorkshire: Calverley & Pudsey - Parish Registers (Christenings, Marriages & Burials): 1681-1720
 York Wills.
County: Yorkshire
Caverly. Mr. Robert Boodey Caverly, of Lowell, Mass., has compiled a "Genealogy of the Caverly Family from the 1116 to the 1880." It is published by Geo. M. Elliott, Lowell. He traces the whole of the Caverlys on the other side of the water from Moses and Nathaniel Calverley, who, with a sister Elizabeth, emigrated from Yorkshire, England, prior to 1714. The descent of the members of the family in the United States appears to be thoroughly and well worked out.

Yorkshire: Hampstwaite - Registers of Marriages, 1603-1807, Registers of Baptisms and Burials, 1603-1794
  Burials 1603 to 1644
Nathaniel Calverley & Jane Wells both of this parish after ye Banns published 3 severall dayes wr. Lawfully married 05 May 1675

Yorkshire: Hampstwaite - Registers of Marriages, 1603-1807, Registers of Baptisms and Burials, 1603-1794
  Baptisms 1678 to 1713.
Nathaniel the sone of Nathaniel Calverley baptized 22 Jan 1681
could be the Nathaniel Junior - the family tree i looked at may be wrong!

I have also contacted the tree holder asking for contact details for you Angela

Sonia
Bentley
Williams
Bootle
Birkenhead
baildon
New Zealand

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia,

Wow - thank you so much for your help. Some very usefull information. I knew some of the details but you have also filled in some gaps. especially being born in Swinton. I look back on some old notes and sure enough SWINTON. Where I ended up with Skipton I do not know.  ::) So you have saved me a wild goose chase :)  There is a lot on the familysearch site going back literally hundreds of years - but some of it does not quite work - some of the relationships do not quite add up and dates can be a bit odd. Trouble was the family kept calling their children William and Walter over and over again???? :-\ makes research very difficult. This is why I want to prove the paper trail myself rather than take familysearch as absolute fact.

The family tree and genealogist look very good too. Some Calverley trees have copied the same error over and over so there are some examples of a person born, married had babies and died in the space of 10 years :o \  However the sources you found for me look very good. A big thank you. A great help.

(happily when I get past and prove the connection to William Calverley and Elizabeth Cryer I can breathe a sigh of relief . At that point a really well researched and published Pedigree proves the rest. Thanks to the family living in the same village for 600 years and a dedicated Yorkshire genealogist.  :D)

Thank you
Angela.
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline sonstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
evening angela

Its no problem what so ever - when i get bored between my 9am - 5pm job haha i can take some time out and destress by helping others. And Nathaniel came up instantly which is brilliant - always good when that happens.

I have emailed the tree member, so who knows i might get an email for you and you can discuss more of the tree with them, you never know you may be related somewhere along the line  ::)

Did you want more info on the William and Elizabeth Cryer?

Sonia  :D
Bentley
Williams
Bootle
Birkenhead
baildon
New Zealand

Offline sonstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 22:02 BST (UK) »
Just a few bits for the Willam and Elizabeth:

William Calverley
b. 1573 Sep Rothwell, Yorkshire
d. 1632 Age: 59 Rothwell, Yorkshire
m. 2nd Nove 1600 Age: 27 to Elizabeth Cryer Rothwell, Yorkshire

elizabeth Cryer
b. DATE UNKNOWN but born in Grantham
d. 1632 LOCATION UNKNOWN
m. 2nd Nove 1600 to William Calverley

Williams parents are:
Robert & Janet Calverley
Robert b. 1550 (Rothwell Yorkshire) d. 1613 (Rothwell Yorkshire)
Janet b.  ()  d. ()

Roberts parents are:
Robert & Joanna Calverley
Robert b. 1510 (Rothwell Yorks) d.1588 (Rothwell Yorks)
Joanna b. () Maiden name Dobson d. ()

Roberts father is:
Christopher Calverley b.1480 (Rothwell Yorks) d.1546 (Rothwell Yorks)

Thats as far as i can go back for the moment :)
Bentley
Williams
Bootle
Birkenhead
baildon
New Zealand

Offline sonstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
PMd you with an email for Noreen who has the ancestry tree ;)
Bentley
Williams
Bootle
Birkenhead
baildon
New Zealand

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 October 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Sonia - Thank you for all the info - I will email Noreen shortly also looking to see if Noreen had a public tree on Ancestry -  I had a bit of luck and found a tree by a chap who shares the same history but 'branches off' where our ancester - one of the Williams - upp'ed and left Mickley for Canada and his research matches what I have found and he had other items of interest which show he has done a lot of in-depth high quality research so must try to get in touch :) We differed on one small point which I believe I am right on - but I had the advantage of a diary handed down through the family which helps me pinpoint some relationships i.e. cousins, uncles and aunts etc.

I have found some of the info you sent moving back from William C and Elizabeth Cryer but it is good to get is confirmed and make sure I am not barking up the wrong tree (I really don't mean to fling these punns about ;)) Elizabeth Cryer I should be able to research further as Grantham is not too far from where I live in Lincoln.

Tracing this thread back is quite wonderful - my family where/are in Kent. Traced back to my Grandad's birthplace in Darlington - to Mickley, Spofforth (a trip planned to Wakefield next month to check parish records) to Hampthswaite, Rothwell and eventually to the village of Calverley - where they lived for a long, long time. This excerise is to double check via sources all the bits I (and a new found cousin), gleaned from the internet to prove to tree. So far it is all checking out.

One thing I had not thought about and gave me to wonder if some of my very early information was correct - trying to agree where marriage dates did not make sense with birth dates and so forth - I was reading from a book I have of Calverley family charters/documents from very early on. It reminded me that once upon a time it was not unusual, to secure two families interests, for marriages to take place (sort of by proxy) between two young people while children, then for the younsters to remain under the protection of one or both families until their coming of age when the marriage would formally begin. So that is something That will answer a couple of my question marks when I get back to that stage and is a practice clearly not reservered for only the highest families in the land.

Whilst delivering a 'tree' print-out for my husband' s family in Essex. We had traced a line back to a village in Essex which we where driving near to - "lets take a look round" we said. Visited the prettiest church, got chatting to a really nice vicar - who said he had a register still in the church - just the one, early 1800s. Out came the register...1st page, year 1839, the second entry was Ed's ancester's marriage record, as far back as we had got with that line. Now we had their parents.  The tree was out of date before we had even delivered it  ::) but it was really exciting to make that original - never been seen - discovery.....just love this tree stuff.

I am waffling - often happens....thank you again.

Angela. 

Offline shirlmidd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela
Nathaniel Calverley was my great grandfather x 7. I have a written lineage back to 1080!!! Unfortunately I cannot claim to have done the work on this tree but it makes fascinating reading!!!!!! Landed gentry, knights etc. :-*
You can email me at s.middlecoate@ntlworld.com for more info.
Shirl