Author Topic: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?  (Read 22696 times)

Offline Lady J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike, thanks for the message. Have we been in contact through Genes Re-united ?    Joan
Gould, Cotterill, Long, Pepper, Hurst, Essex and Suffolk.
Beare, Chamberlain in Somerset

Offline mikefromessex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 09:44 BST (UK) »
G'morning Joan

Yes we have communed via Genes Reunited.  I have reached the point where I have to return to Essex and do some research there to get more Gould information.  Any more tit bits that I do get I will be pleased to share with you.  Please keep in touch.

My best wishes

Mike

Offline Mamacrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 17:18 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was Joseph Allen, son of Samuel, from Great Clacton.
Joseph was born in 1823. Has anyone heard anything about those Allens?
I live in Australia, and am going to visit Colchester in September, just for a couple of days (no car sadly). Can anyone suggest where I might find some records?
Joseph joined the Army and was sent to India, where he married and had family. He never returned to Essex.
Any help would be most appreciated

Offline redroses

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 June 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin

My husband's grandfather (Charles Howard born c 1876) was a lamplighter in Great Clacton in 1911.  He and his mother and brother and sister were in the Union Workhouse in Tendring in 1881.  His mother, Emma Howard born c 1856, later married Noah Bloomfield but I can't find a father or birth registration for Charles or his brother and sister.  Census records say St Lukes, Middlesex (Islington) but no luck so far.

There was Alice Bloomfield also in the Workhouse in 1881.

Regards.

Offline lindyloo26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 June 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
I have just found out (via Rootschat) that my Dad had another brother who died aged 2 days in 1897, that I had never heard of.  His name was George ADKINS.

He was born in Castle Road, Clacton and was buried at St John the Baptist, Great Clacton on 15th November 1897.  I am wondering if he was baptised there before he died and also my Aunt Annie Dorothy ADKINS who was born on January 19th 1896.

I had no idea they had lived in Clacton until I started doing family history, as my dad, who was born in 1904, was born in Finchley.  Luckily his baptism is on Ancestry London Baptisms!
Linda

Offline AussieBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 July 10 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just found this thread and hope it is still active.
I am very much a beginer at reasearching family history but my wife is due to have our first child in December and I have suddenly developed an interest in finding out more about where I am from.
I know some of my family lived in Great Claton at this time my GGGrandfather and possibly my GGrandfather (who was born about this time). Their names were both William Benjamin Harman (as is mine) any information on them or directions to find out about them would be much appreciated.
 I was also interested to read on here about people related to the Fairclough family also as my GGrandmother was a Fairclough. Other familys from the Clacton area that I understand I am related to are Austin, Barber, Bradshaw and Johnson.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Bill

Offline Boblima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 August 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Ninkynoo,

Of course, the question you might want to ask is, why was there a sudden expansion of the population in the 1872 time ??  perhaps the coming of the railway perhaps ?? and I believe there is even a road in the area named after the man who was responsible, Peter Bruff ( not to be confused with the well know radio ventriloquist of nearly the same name, with his little mate Archie Andrews )

regards

Boblima
Lovett; Hertfordshire. Essex. Lancashire.

Offline AussieDove

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 August 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
Lady J.

My Great Grand mother was Marion Dove, the fishmonger. Her husband was William. My grandfather was their son Charles.  Any idea of William's origin?
AussieDove

Offline danieljames

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 January 11 08:48 GMT (UK) »
My family originates from both Great Clacton and Little Clacton. One line is from Daniel James, wheelwright, born about 1790 through to Jeremiah James, born about 1830 (connections here to a Cole family). Jeremiah married Sarah Linnett in 1851.

One of their sons was Frank Henry James, born in 1858 who left the village to make a fortune in Lewisham.  Frank married an Emily Hayhoe whose father was Jeremiah Hayhoe, married to Sarah Reed.  Jeremiah's father was Samuel Hayhoe of Kirby, married to Jane Smith.  Samuel was deported to Tasmania for hie part in the Swing riots of December 1830.

Samuel was an agricultural worker but all the other men were carpenters.  Jeremiah James (above) gives Jeremiah Cole, a farmer, as his father on his marriage certificate and I think the 'James' surname is taken through his mother, Hannah, daughter of Daniel James.

I've seen a snippett somewhere that suggests that the James family may have had connections with Clapgate Farm but I'm unsure about this.

Hope this is of interest and I would love to know if this ties in with any other local history.

Richard