Author Topic: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?  (Read 22699 times)

Offline RIBOGA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 February 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've just registered to rootschat, and all this is new to me!
My great-grandfather John Ribbans THORP lived in Great Clacton in 1871 with his family. Five of his children were born there.He was a general shopkeeper.
I am actually looking for the actual date of birth or baptism of his father John THORP, born around 1798 in Thorpe le Soken. As I live in France, I've been trying to get information on the net with SEAX, but unfortunately the register I need to consult isn't available on the net. Could anybody help me ? I would be so grateful.

Offline Legiuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 October 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Lin
Your Great Aunt Elizabeth Pratt is also my great grandmother-do you please have any details of her ancestors?
I would be very grateful.
Thanks a lot
Phil

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 November 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank You for all your replies. I have done all I can for now and printed off quite a bit for the Local history group and passed it on to Norman Jacobs for the History room at the Library. I had to stop for a while due to ill health in the family, so , apologies for not getting back for a while.My daughter has now finished her chemo so I have a bit more free time. All good.
Phil, looks like we are related, I shall pm you details of how to contact me and i can give you quite a bit on our Family. I have most of them going back to the mid 1600's in the local area.
Richard, I am not sure if you have the Swing Rioters book, if not , let me know and I will look him up for you.There are quite a few details about him and his family in there along with physical descriptions ect.
Clacton itself began its existence in 1872 due to the railway , until that time the land was mainly farmland and great Clacton was the main village. I have a few maps showing the progression of the 'new' town.
 I shall get to the local history sectionof the library in the next few weeks and see what i can find out about some of the other queries raised here, please bear with me.
Many many Thanks for all the interest in this item.Thanks you as well for your patience.
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline cjellwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 January 20 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I live at 52 Coppins Road and have deeds maps etc going back to 1920's when the area was known as Smoaky Farm Estate and of course Smoaky Farm itself.   Yes its spelt like that.  I am looking to bring part of my land back to agri use so if anyone has recollection of the small holding that was here before my sale it would be great to talk to you
Chris

Offline BenGould84

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 July 22 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know it’s been years since this thread was replied too. But, I am tracing my ancestry (I’m a Gould) and so far I have got to Julia Ann Gould (a sister of Frederick and Joseph). If anyone reads this in 2022 I’d love to hear from you! Ben

Guess what!  My GGGrandmother was also Elizabeth Leggett Gould, her son, Frederick Gould being my GGrandfather.  He was a mariner and I attach a photo of him and one of his brother Joseph.  In fact, until recent times my family has always been associated with the Little Clacton/Wivenhoe/Brightlingsea area.  Whilst not a mariner, my Grandfather, Arthur Harlow, worked in the Wivenhoe shipyard for many of his earlier years and always had close contacts with fishing and sailing in the River Colne and associated coastal parts.

Like many families, in recent years we have moved away from the Essex area (to Cornwall) but I still have a strong affinity N E Essex.  Might still move back that way!

Hi:
I'm descended from the Gould family.  Joseph Gould/Gold was born in Messing in the 1700's.  The family then moved to Little Clacton and Great Clacton.  Several of the Goulds were carpenters/joiners.  My gg grandmother, Elizabeth Leggett Gould, ran a beer house in Great Clacton during the 1800s.
My father was born in Dudley Rd. in Clacton-on-Sea, 1901.  He was a master bricklayer. 
During the 1800s, some of the Gould men were mariners.  At least one of these men ended up moving to Harwich.
One my ancestors either lived at, or ran, the Roaring Donkey Pub in Holland.
The other names connected with Gould were Bareham and Butcher and possibly Lazelle.
I'm researching my ancestors and am very interested in the local history there even though I have moved to Canada (50 years ago). 
Any sort of information, no matter how trivial, is of interest to me.

I'm glad to see someone is taking such an interest in this area.

Lady J