Author Topic: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?  (Read 22700 times)

Offline Peanut

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Great Clacton 1871 ,were your family here?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lin:
Looking for info on Sarah Green b.1813 Great Clacton, dau of William Green.  No other details known.  She had left the village for Bloomsbury, London to work as a domestic servant and never returned to Gt. Clacton.  Many thanks for any help or clues.
Jayne
Hi Peanut we know that you are trying to access your profile but sadly we are unable to send a new password. Please contact support for help.

Offline Lady J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 March 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi:
I'm descended from the Gould family.  Joseph Gould/Gold was born in Messing in the 1700's.  The family then moved to Little Clacton and Great Clacton.  Several of the Goulds were carpenters/joiners.  My gg grandmother, Elizabeth Leggett Gould, ran a beer house in Great Clacton during the 1800s.
My father was born in Dudley Rd. in Clacton-on-Sea, 1901.  He was a master bricklayer. 
During the 1800s, some of the Gould men were mariners.  At least one of these men ended up moving to Harwich.
One my ancestors either lived at, or ran, the Roaring Donkey Pub in Holland.
The other names connected with Gould were Bareham and Butcher and possibly Lazelle.
I'm researching my ancestors and am very interested in the local history there even though I have moved to Canada (50 years ago). 
Any sort of information, no matter how trivial, is of interest to me.

I'm glad to see someone is taking such an interest in this area.

Lady J
Gould, Cotterill, Long, Pepper, Hurst, Essex and Suffolk.
Beare, Chamberlain in Somerset

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 March 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Haven't been on Rootschat a lot of late as I have been working nights  :(

Oh those are familiar names .Especially Bareham and Layzell .They are in my tree. Small world .If I recall rightly ,one of the Barehams was a Swing Rioter have to double check him and let you know .
Still busy collating as much as I can lay my hands on.The pile is growing nicely . I have had some surprises along the way.
The Roaring Donkey is still there ,I drove past it today. Somewhere I have an article written for the local paper in the 80's about it's history ,I'll have a look for it .
There were 4 pubs in Gt Clacton . Now there are 3 ,The Ship ,The Queens  and The Plough ,I grew up a few hundred yards from them .

If you would like any pictures then please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to find houses, maps ,news items ect.Can also look in the street directories in Library.

Dudley Road would have been quite new when  your father was born ,and I would lay money he had a connection with Zachariah Fairclough who has a book written about him called Bricks and Rollers.My Gt Aunt married into this family.
There are quite a few books about the area still available by Norman Jacobs and Kenneth Walker .Both are very good authors .Norman is involved with the Clacton History Group who run a  History Room at The Library a couple of mornings a week.
I guess I am a bit passionate about this town though my interests lay mainly with Great Clacton. Also lucky in the fact that I still live in the same town that my ancesters lived over 400 years ago ,I don't think the wanderlust gene exists in me somehow. ;D
Let me know what you need and I'll do my best.
From Lin
in Sunny Clacton

Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline Lady J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin,
 the Faircloughs are very familier to me. I lived on Key Rd, growing up and old Mrs Fairclough lived across the road and a married daughter lived next door. My grandfather Gould moved to Warwick Rd. I cannot remember the number but it was the only detached house and had another lot attached, so I would not be surprised if he did have a connection with Zach. His grandmother was Elizabeth Leggett who ran the beerhouse. I have seen it called The Apple Tree. Her husband Joseph was a Drillman and Farmer of three acres. I have only seen the address as The Street, the same with my Lt C Goulds, so I don't know exactly where they lived.
My husband's family are also from Gt Clacton. his grandmother was a Dove, the Fishmongers. She was Matilda and married William Long, he was a Gas Fitter, a very sought after trade at that time I think. They lived on Ann Rd, opposite  Grooms orphanage.
         Lady J
Gould, Cotterill, Long, Pepper, Hurst, Essex and Suffolk.
Beare, Chamberlain in Somerset

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 May 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
It would appear from my records, that I have links to Zachariah Fairclough, as his son Ernest Zachariah Fairclough married Ellen (Nellie) Winifred Howe (my Gt Aunt, as far as I can ascertain)....I have quite a large amount of info on the Howe family if it is any help.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Arquebus
Have you got the book Bricks and Rollers about the Fairclough Family ,it is available from The Clacton History Group.A very good read.
I am vaguely related to them as my Gt Aunt Elizabeth Pratt married George Nelson Fairclough.
Clacton owes a lot to the Faircloughs and most of the houses the family built are still here.
I also lived 3 doors down from some of the family when I was young.
There are also some quite splendid gravestones at Clacton cemetery for the family.
Zacs main Steam Roller ,The Clacton Queen is still in the town ,having undergone a big restoration project ,it's nice to see her at carnivals and shows.I also hear her whistle peeping most weekends as the yard where she is kept is just up the road.
I am now on the final 10 pages of the transcription and have collected quite a bit of info (even managed to rescue a few old newspaper cuttings  and assorted bits off e bay ie indentetures and leases).
What started out as a little project has now grown into a box big enough to fit me into.So thinl this may take a little longer than anticipated.
I will be in touch via PM when I get a chance.
Thanks for contacting me
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
S'OK...when you are ready.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline shirley11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin,
 I was wondering if you had come across Rebecca Angier Richardson in the research you have done so far. She was born in 1741 in Great Oakley, Essex, she married Thomas Turpin on 21.6.1757 in Kirby le Soken, Essex & she died in 1823 in Great Clacton, Essex. Any information or help would be fantastic.
Thank you in advance,
Shirley

Offline mikefromessex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 June 09 11:58 BST (UK) »
Guess what!  My GGGrandmother was also Elizabeth Leggett Gould, her son, Frederick Gould being my GGrandfather.  He was a mariner and I attach a photo of him and one of his brother Joseph.  In fact, until recent times my family has always been associated with the Little Clacton/Wivenhoe/Brightlingsea area.  Whilst not a mariner, my Grandfather, Arthur Harlow, worked in the Wivenhoe shipyard for many of his earlier years and always had close contacts with fishing and sailing in the River Colne and associated coastal parts.

Like many families, in recent years we have moved away from the Essex area (to Cornwall) but I still have a strong affinity N E Essex.  Might still move back that way!

Hi:
I'm descended from the Gould family.  Joseph Gould/Gold was born in Messing in the 1700's.  The family then moved to Little Clacton and Great Clacton.  Several of the Goulds were carpenters/joiners.  My gg grandmother, Elizabeth Leggett Gould, ran a beer house in Great Clacton during the 1800s.
My father was born in Dudley Rd. in Clacton-on-Sea, 1901.  He was a master bricklayer. 
During the 1800s, some of the Gould men were mariners.  At least one of these men ended up moving to Harwich.
One my ancestors either lived at, or ran, the Roaring Donkey Pub in Holland.
The other names connected with Gould were Bareham and Butcher and possibly Lazelle.
I'm researching my ancestors and am very interested in the local history there even though I have moved to Canada (50 years ago). 
Any sort of information, no matter how trivial, is of interest to me.

I'm glad to see someone is taking such an interest in this area.

Lady J