Author Topic: Sue Brown's Derbyshire Marriage Index 1538-1837  (Read 30521 times)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Re: Sue Brown's Derbyshire Marriage Index 1538-1837
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi DebbieG,

Thanks for enlightening me. In my ignorance, I was not familiar with the National Burial index. You learn things all the time. I think I understand what you mean. Thanks again.

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 June 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all those who helped me with this, particularly DebbieG and Spendlove.

I had previously thought that Martin Farnell Esq. from Coton-in-the-elms (abt 1750-1815), who is the object of this search, and his wife Frances Matthews had one daughter, Phoebe.

However, it appears from his will that Phoebe was Frances' daughter from a previous marriage. This is stated in one place and, in another place, he refers to Phoebe as his adopted daughter. I supposed this would mean that Matthews was probably the surname of Frances' first husband and that Phoebe was born as Phoebe Matthews. Based on this, (bingo) I found her on the IGI christened on 9 May 1796 at Lullington, Derbyshire, mother Frances Matthews.

This is probably not new to most people on Rootschat, but it shows that one has to look at all sorts of documents to find the information one is searching for.

What I'm wondering now is is whether such an adoption would have been an official thing in those days or not?

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 June 09 07:10 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't think the adoption would official - as in no paper work for it,  it would just happen when the mother remarried. 

I am pleased that the will proved useful,  can I ask if it mentioned any other of Martins relatives?  I am interested as certain property in the village where I live was owned by the Farnell family at that time - members of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch branch and I am wondering where the Sutton Coldfield lot fit in.

DebbieG

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueDMI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 April 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just come across this board and see you need some further information as to my Derbyshire Marriagee Index 1538-1837.  Sorry about the web site, it has died, the reply page went first and I couldn't get it to work.

The index covers all the parishes (pre 1837) in Derbyshire that were licenced for marriages. I have abstracts from all parishes but the index is not yet complete as there is still a lot of checking to do.  The information contained is taken from Phillimore, parish registers and the BTs, it was originally started on 5"x3" slips in 200+ shoeboxes.  These days it is slowly bing put onto a computer database, printed out and then checked - firstly against the PRs and then the BTs.  A list of the progress so far can be obtained from myself by email. If you want a search doing then just let me know groom's name, brides's christian name and year of first known child. I will then do a search and send you the possibilities.

Sue

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 October 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, Please could you look up George NUTTALL, b. Alfreton about 1779?  Christened 7 Sep 1779.  Married 17 Sep 1805 to Hannah Green.  Father's name Samuel.  George's son, William NUTTALL born between 1810-1822 (and any other children born to George).   I'd be very grateful for your help.  Regards Louise

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 October 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Louise,

All Christened at Alfreton, the children of George Nuttall & Hannah:-

Samuel Christened 18.10.1806
William         "          31.7.1809
Mathew       "          16.6.1811

You can search for these on the new family search site:-

https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 October 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying so quickly.  In fact I've just posted a look up request on the board as I'm fairly new to rootschat and haven't always had replies to previous queries.  Regards  Louise

Offline SueDMI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Louise,

The only likely Samuel I have is married in 1763, I've checked 1750-85 and he's the only one.
Wirksworth PR Saml Nuttall, innkeeper, 21 Apr 1763, Phebe Plats, spinster, both of Wirksworth, licence

Sorry for delay, but I've been away.

Hope it helps,

Sue

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

Thanks for the message.  I've sent away to Lichfield for the licence of the marriage of George Nuttall in 1805 to Hannah Green at Alfreton and hope that he turns out to be Samuel and Phebe's son.  If George is also a 'Saddler' then I'm getting somewhere as this will link with my 2nd G Grandfather, William Nuttall.

In the censuses, William consistently said he was born at Wirksworth.  In his marriage certificate he said his father  was 'George Nuttall, Sadler'.  Although there is a William Nuttall baptised at Wirksworth 19 Sep 1816, the father was William Nuttall.  There isn't another likely candidate.   As you said, Samuel & Phebe were married at Wirksworth and three of their 12 children (John, Lydia & Samuel), were baptised at Wirksworth but the others were baptised at Alfreton, including George (b. 1779).  George & Hannah Green's son, William, was baptised at Alfreton 31 July 1809 and I think this is my ancestor but why did he say in every census that he was born at Wirksworth?

I'm trying to find the link between Wirksworth & Alfreton for the Nuttalls.  If you're a Derbyshire person perhaps you might know the answer?  Very grateful for your help.  Regards  Louise