Author Topic: Death search needed please  (Read 14478 times)

Offline nessieinspain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death search needed please
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 October 08 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying Freckle.........

searched everywhere, have even been in touch with the BL

no luck  :-[

Emma Despondant in Spain
Williamson, Martin, Wynne, Miller, McLellan, Parker, Colvin, Gibb.

All living in & around Edinburgh as some point!

Offline alisonjkilpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 21 September 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread. However, a biographical profile has been worked up for James Colvin, Esq. (1768–1847), and posted to WikiTree, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Colvin-1550
cheers, Alison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 21 September 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I keep coming across Colvins while researching the Binnys of Forfar and India, and your WikiTree has answered several questions :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alisonjkilpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, again.
I see that the original poster, Emma from Spain, was asking why Maria would be living in Falkirk, and where was her father, James Colvin, throughout the course of her living there and getting married and then going off to Edinburgh with Thomas Gibb.
If you look at the profile for Mary Gibb, née Colvin, on WikiTree:
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Colvin-1639,
her year of birth, 1798, predates her father's marriage to Maria Jackson by four years. Mary appears to have been a natural daughter of James Colvin (1768–1847). There was another natural daughter, Helen, born in 1794, but unlike Helen, for whom there was a baptism record (in the India Office records online at FindMyPast), a similar record has not been found for Mary. In fact, all we have to go by is Mary's repeated assertion (upon marriage, and in her will) that she was the daughter of James Colvin, merchant, of Calcutta. Even so, I believe it is safe to accept this claim.
As to why she was living in Falkirk at the time of her marriage to Thomas Gibb in Falkirk: I would hazard the guess that James Colvin sent his daughter home to Scotland sometime before his 1802 marriage to Maria Jackson. James' brother, George Colvin, had died in Dunipace in 1798, leaving his wife, Margaret Renny. Margaret died at Falkirk in 1838 (though her body was buried at Dunipace), suggesting that she was living in Falkirk after the death of her husband. In fact, Margaret was born at Falkirk; her late father, John Renny (d.1773), had been the bailie of the town. In any event, it seems plausible in the circumstances that a widow, whose husband had had financial difficulties in business and did not leave a will, could use the income that would accompany guardianship of a child (her niece) of a wealthy East India merchant.
Just my 2¢.
cheers,
Alison

Offline SaltyRaven

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 28 September 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Would anyone be able to look up a death in Falkirk for me?

I am looking, and have been for ages for the death of James Colvin, Merchant in Calcutta born c.1778. Haddingtonshire. I have him living in Falkirk in 1818 when his daughter Mary/Maria Colvin married a Thomas Gibb but after that I lose all trace.

I have been stuck on James for AGES so any help would be greatly appreciated

Nessie in Spain

So I was taking pictures of some moody graves today and came across the Tombstone of Grizzel Prop and thought it a curious name. Came across this thread and decided to drop today's pictures in here just in case they are of use. The Colvin's from what I can tell are buried in the old almost exclusive part of the cemetery, so they obviously had money.

Excuse the black and white photographs ( it's my style ) But for what it's worth Old Grizzel's stone looks to have been visited in the last year or so given the decay of the roses.

I don't intend in hanging around here, you know, things to do and places to be but I'll check in every now and then.

Laters.