Author Topic: *Completed*Census lookups please: Theophilus COLES in various years  (Read 8178 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookups please: Theophilus COLES in various years
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 October 08 05:13 BST (UK) »
1851 census....He wasn't easy to find ::)

HO107/1712 Folio 36 Page 19
Coles (Dale) ?
Northaw
Hertfordshire

COLES Theophilus Head 26 Unm b Salisbury Wiltshire Farmer 239 Acres employ 7 Labs
RICHES Maria 23 Unm b Molash Norfolk House Servant
ALLEN Thomas Servant 33 Widow b Hingham Norfolk Ag Lab
ROBERTS George Servant 34 Unm b Northew Ag Lab

1851 census was 30 Mar so a couple of months  prior to marriage

They were married on the 4th of June

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=168-ddwoa&cid=-1&Gsm=2008-06-18

Other intereting documents besides the marriage here.

No idea where Lucy may be. I cannot see her in 1841 or 1851. Do you have anything on her parents? I cannot see any person with the name Ebsworth or anything like it in any parish which comes under Hendon district in 1851.

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookups please: Theophilus COLES in various years
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 October 08 07:52 BST (UK) »
1851 census....He wasn't easy to find ::)

HO107/1712 Folio 36 Page 19
Coles (Dale) ?
Northaw
Hertfordshire

COLES Theophilus Head 26 Unm b Salisbury Wiltshire Farmer 239 Acres employ 7 Labs
RICHES Maria 23 Unm b Molash Norfolk House Servant
ALLEN Thomas Servant 33 Widow b Hingham Norfolk Ag Lab
ROBERTS George Servant 34 Unm b Northew Ag Lab

<snip>
No idea where Lucy may be. I cannot see her in 1841 or 1851. Do you have anything on her parents? I cannot see any person with the name Ebsworth or anything like it in any parish which comes under Hendon district in 1851.

Cheers Kris  :D
Hi Kris

This was very clever. Who would have thought of looking for Theophilus, under the wrong name, in Hertfordshire. But that is surely him.

As far as Lucy is concerned, I can't spot her either, but using IGI, it looks as if she may have been a daughter of Thomas and Mary Susanna EBSWORTH, baptised in St Stephen Coleman Street in 1824. Other children include Ellen (1818);  Caroline (1820) and Alfred (1821).

Thanks once again for the very skillful help with this elusive family.

Phil

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *Reopened*Census lookups please: Theophilus COLES in various years
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Although I thought I had finished with this family, further information has come to light and I am asking for some more help.

It turns out that John Bailey COLES and Theophilus COLES had several other siblings, born and baptised at Maiden Bradley in Wiltshire. One in particular is worth following up: George COLES s/o John Bailey & Joanna COLES who baptised at All Saints, Maiden Bradley on 17 Dec 1782.

The reason I am interested in him is that he was evidently still alive in 1841, as he is mentioned in the will of his brother Theophilus Ponting COLES who died in late 1841. Indeed, he died in 1847, and his will was proved in June that year (Will of George Coles, Gentleman of Lyncombe and Widcombe, Somerset 08 June 1847 PROB 11/2057).

Can anyone spot him in the 1841 Census? From the index to the 1841 census, it looks as if he may be in Bath, and shown as aged 55. Is he living with other relatives?

I would certainly appreciate help with this request.

Many thanks

Phil

Offline Chris1286

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone no why he and Lucy separated and where he died I have it listed at Farmborough, Somerset 14th February 1897. Who was he living with? Lucy died in Bristol, 67 Maple Road on the 30th March 1902.
Can anyone help
Chris Reeves

Offline Chris1286

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 October 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I think that the Martha in the 1841 census at Rye Hill is the children Auntie Martha Baily Cole b1787. If so where are the parents. On the 16th February 1824 John Baily was made insolvent. Would that mean he would be sent to debaters prison? Like Heytesbury?
Chris1286

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 October 08 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

You're right; the older Martha is the aunt of the three children; the fourth (Julia Anna) was living in Donhead St Mary with the Foot family.

You ask where the parents were. Sarah died in Horton, Dorset in January 1841, so by the time of the 1841 Census, John Bailey was widowed. I haven't managed to find him in the 1841, but here he is the the next two censuses:

HO107/1856 Folio 272 Page 16
East Lulworth
Dorset

ATKINS Emily Dau 4 b East Lulworth Farmers Dau
ATKINS Martha Dau 2 b East Lulworth Farmers Dau
COLES John Bailey Visitor 70 Widower b East Lulworth Annuitant
MARY Mary Servant 21 Unm b East Lulworth House Servant
CHARLES Sarah Servant 14 b East Lulworth House Servant

1861 Census of Dorset
Old Down area , Woodlands Dorset in the Wimborne RD
John Morey 28 bn Wiltshire Occ Ag lab' West Lulworth Dorset
Sarah Morey 26 Milton Abbey Dors
Jesse L Morey 4 Belchalweel, Dors
George Morey 2 Warmwell Dors
Edward J Morey 3mths Woodlands, Dors
John B Coles 80 Lodger Occ Retired Farmer Widow bn Maiden Bradley Wiltshire

It's true that he was bankrupt in 1824, but I understand that he was the Constable for Heytesbury and not in Gaol as a debtor. So if you have found him in prison, it's probably as the boss and not as a prisoner!

John Bailey COLES died in 1862 in Dorset.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline BPK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed*Census lookups please: Theophilus COLES in various years
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 May 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Theophilus John Bailey Coles and Lucy Ebsworth were my great, great grandparents. A document found in the National Archives in Kew explains why they were no longer living together in the 1881 census. In October 1873, Lucy petitioned for a judicial separation in Her Majesty's Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes in London. In her petition, she describes the 'great harshness and cruelty' she suffered at the hands of her husband throughout their 22 year marriage. She finally left him, with the help of her elder daughters, on 21 July 1873. Her sworn statement is very detailed and makes upsetting reading. In the 1881 census, Theophilus was still living in Chesterblade, with a housekeeper, Sarah Burfitt. In 1886 Sarah Jane Burfitt married James Atkins, Theophilus's nephew (son of his sister Julia Atkins, nee Coles). In 1888 Theophilus wrote his will, leaving everything to 'my dear niece Sarah Jane Atkins' and appointed her sole executor. At the time of writing his will he was living at the George Inn, in Nettlebridge, Midsommer Norton. In the 1891 census (wrongly transcribed as Thos J Baily Coles) he described himself as a 'retired innkeeper' and was a lodger at the Bell Inn, Buckland, Wiltshire where his nephew James Atkins was inn keeper, living with his wife Sarah Jane and their two young children. Theophilus died on 14 February 1897 in Farmborough, Somerset.

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 May 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in this information regarding the Coles family however I am unable to prove a link between them and the Candy family of Somerset.
I wondered if you are able to help?
Best wishes
PHIL Candy

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 June 15 00:37 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in this information regarding the Coles family however I am unable to prove a link between them and the Candy family of Somerset.

The name Theophilus Ponting Coles points to the Ponting family of Foxcote who were very fond of that Christian name. I think you'll find that John Bailey Coles's mother was Joanna Ponting from Foxcote, daughter of Theophilus and Ann. The Theophilus Ponting who married Ann Candy at Wanstrow in 1790 was probably Joanna's brother, born Foxcote 1764.

I've come across the Ponting family before in a friend's tree but never thought they would be related to me, but I see from the Coles trees on Ancestry that there is a distant connection.  Theophilus and Lucy Coles's son Charles married Hannah Warren in Australia and she was a descendant of my paternal ggg-grandparents, from Manchester, not Somerset. It's a small world, as they say.

David