Author Topic: Help needed withW.W.1 Death 1915.Major Darcy Mackenzie Fraser.  (Read 5061 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed withW.W.1 Death 1915.Major Darcy Mackenzie Fraser.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 October 08 05:38 BST (UK) »
Can't resist sharing this one - a son of Hastings FRASER (half brother of D'Arcy? unless this is the earlier generation Hastings?)  who had a close call with a tiger in India 1888

http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/etext03/wbatw10.htm
Cuthbert FRASER, in the Deccan, District Superindendant of Police in Berar, previously Superintendent of
the Cantonment Police in Secunderabad.  Son of of Colonel Hastings Fraser, one of the Frasers of Lovat.

Cuthbert went to inspect a supposedly dead tiger, when said tiger roared and lunged at him from a distance of abt 18 feet. Cuthbert waited until the tiger was about 5 feet away before firing at it. The tiger still did not fall, so a 2nd shot was quickly fired which also failed to stop it.

Though wounded, with one eye shot out, the tiger managed to somehow get hold of Cuthbert  and was slobbering all over his face and coat, drawing him in ( no doubt for a kill). But the Tiger then spotted Mr Cuthbert's orderley so let go of Cuthbert and went after the orderley instead and killed him. In the process of all this Cuthbert lost his rifle and ammunition.

As the Tiger was over the poor oderley, crunching his bones and biting at his head,  Cuthbert had to pass close by to get another gun off another man nearby. But this man had also shot the Tiger twice to no avail, and had no cartridges left.  Eventually they did find another cartridge and tried to recover the body of the orderley but were unable to as the tiger was too close to it (the body).

Cuthbert then sent off for an elephant to be brought from 6 miles away - but the elephant didn't arrive till dark - so himself wounded, had to leave the body that night. The next morning found the Tiger dead, lying close to the orderley whose body they were then able to recover.

Reported in the Secunderabad paper 14th June 1888

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 October 08 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gereon

According to the 1911 Army List:

= DoB: 14 October 1878
= First Appointment: 22 Jan 1898 (2nd Lt unattached)
= Ind. SC: 7 Oct 1898
= Lt (Indian Army): 30 Sept 1900
= Captain (Indian Army): 22 Jan 1907

Regards

Ken

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 October 08 11:12 BST (UK) »
AMBLY,what a mine of information you are.I never expected that my enquiry about Darcy would lead to finding out so many interesting facts about him and his family.Very touching the,the Times rememberance notices,and the devotion and loss of the servant/companion I would suppose,Jane Wallace.I am unaware of any children from the marriage of Darcy and Esther,in fact,I have no information at all about what happened to Esther Fraser after the death of her husband.At abt age 31 perhaps she would have remarried,or gone to live with her twice widowed mother,Frances Jane Fenwick Jessop (maiden name McAllum,1st husband,William Joshua Watson of Newcastle on Tyne,2nd husband,William Jessop of Sheffield) who died in 1933. I guess such things will all be revealed when the 1911 census is released.Great story about the tiger,and many many thanks again for taking an interest.Thanks also to Ken for your welcome Army List information . :) :) gereon
,McAllum,Argyll.McAllum, Newcastle.Donkin,Newcastle.McKechnie,Auckland.Bainbridge,Newcastle.Fenwick,Featherstone,Muschamp,Little,Craster Northumberland.Livingstone,Inverness.